OT - Remington 81 Woodsman

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Remington 81 Woodsman

Post by PaperPatch »

I'm looking for feedback with regard to this model of Remington. My rack is filled with levers....and I'm considering acquiring one of these unique John Browning designed rifles.

I understand that the 35 Remington was a common chambering; and the 300 Savage was also available. I don't currently have these two chamberings in my levergun fleet....and this old rifle design may be a good place to start.

Can anyone share their experiences with these???

Thanks.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've only handled the model, and found it too heavy for my taste - but YMMV, of course.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

My father had one in a 300 Savage that he traded 13-14 years ago.
He still complains to this day about it, a wishes he never had.
They are a little heavy but shoot great and a 300 Savage is a very nice round.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Grandfather had one for a long time. I believe it was a 35rem. I always thought it was an interesting old gun. I passed up a mint one at a show several years ago with a Lyman Alaskan scope in a side mount. Didn't have quite enough $$ that day. Still wish I could have brought that one home.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love my Model 8. This was the 81 before pistol grips (well, mostly, some 8s had them) and the .300 Savage chambering. There are not many other differences.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I have owned a couple of the model 8 rifles in 35 Rem. They are neat old guns. They have a very unique feel when the action cycles. Both of mine had semi-crescent butt plates that ate my alive after about 8-10 rounds. They are worth having just for the history and nostalgia though.
SFRanger7GP

Model 8/81

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I have three of them: 25 Remington, 300 Savage and 35 Remington. All of them have fold down tang sights. They are very interesting rifles and shoot great. Although they are not labeled as such, they are take down rifles. I'm not sure if all 8/81's are TD, but all mine are. They easily shoot inside a 3'' square at 100yds and if I do my part, inside 2" is no problem with the 25 or the 300. I often carried the 25 as my truck gun when living and working down south. It was good enough for Frank Hamer...!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I've read that Frank Hamer carried one in .35 that day they stopped Bonnie and Clyde.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
SFRanger7GP

Model 8/81

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Jerry B, you are correct. According to the book, "I'm Frank Hamer", he was carrying a 35 Rem with a special 20 round magazine that day. Mr Hamer was a big fan of Remington's Auto loader. He also carried a 25 Remington quite a bit and Remington made him a special heavily engraved Model 8 in 30 Remington.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Re: Model 8/81

Post by paulyseggs »

SFRanger7GP wrote:Jerry B, you are correct. According to the book, "I'm Frank Hamer", he was carrying a 35 Rem with a special 20 round magazine that day. Mr Hamer was a big fan of Remington's Auto loader. He also carried a 25 Remington quite a bit and Remington made him a special heavily engraved Model 8 in 30 Remington.

Last year or the year before a gunshop around here had one in 35rem with the 20rd mag. It was priced around 3200.00 Neat gun but outta my league.

I have a 81 in 35rem. Has the fold down lyman tang site, Shoots Great! I put 5 rounds in one hole @ 50yds. It's a takedown as well.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I had - many years ago - a Model 8 in .25 Remington. It was a fun plinker, accurate enough to whack tin cans continuously at any reasonable range. In .25 Remington, the Model 8 had virtually no kick, and one could feel Browning's long-recoil action go through its entire cycle.
Oh, yes... lest someone think I'm reverting to Gaelic to say something offensive, the motto translates:
(they) who never fled from the clash of spears
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags