front sight upgrade on older Rossi lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

front sight upgrade on older Rossi lever

Post by kooz »

I have a Rossi .45 lever with the front sight that is on the barrel band. My question is what are my options for a new front sight as part of a Williams peep sight upgrade ? Is the barrel to thin to cut a dovetail ? Thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kooz,

A shallow dovetail can be cut in the barrel. That's what I had done with my Rossi.

It worked great. The barrel band on mine kept twisting and so did the front sight. So I got rid it and went to a solid mounted sight.

Joe
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Thanks for the reply Joe. Could you give me some more info on the job, such as what height and what kind of sight did you use and what type of rear sight did you upgrade to? Thanks again.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kooz,

I also upgraded to a Williams FP 94/36 sight. "IF" I remember correctly the front sight I ended up with was around .400" tall. I don't have the rifle any more, and I didn't write that info down.

Joe
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Thanks
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I also upgraded to a Williams FP 94/36 sight. "IF" I remember correctly the front sight I ended up with was around .400" tall. I don't have the rifle any more, and I didn't write that info down.

Close enough - when I installed the Williams 94/36 sight on my Winchester 94, I also upgraded the front sight to an XS sight which measures .430" above the dove tail (as I measured this AM).

Works for me.

:)
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER