What's the best movie for Old West gun viewing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

What's the best movie for Old West gun viewing?

Post by hightime »

Many of the Tom Selig movies are great. I buy and watch all the good gun Westerns I can. Maybe there's some you know of that I havn't seen.

I've got ; Quigley Down Under
Crossfire Trail
Tomestone
Desperate Trail
Last Stand on Sabre River
Both True Grit movies
The Quick and the Dead
Unforgiven
Open Range
Appaloosa
310 To Yuma
Joe Kidd

Owen
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What's the best movie for Old West gun viewing?

Post by tman »

The Good, the bad, and the Ugly, if you like cartridge conversion Civil war era.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Man, I must be kludged :roll:
Hey, I just realized on YOUTUBE you can watch all these old Westerns (for free) :lol:
Ya, I need to get with the times more.

Here is my favorite(full movie)Winchester 73
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mkl3kFD ... ure=relmfu
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Wasn't it "Crossfire Trail" that had an Evans rifle in it?? First time I ever saw one on screen. The Selleck movies seem have a handle on the "proper" armament for the period, and seem to make a point of it. I think Selleck is one of "us", as I believe he owned some of the firearms used in his movies.
Oh, by the way "Last Stand at Saber River" is one of my all time favorites. The book by Elmore Leonard is every bit as good as the movie, and vise-verse.
Last edited by mack on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wellllll
I am watching Josh Randall right now....
I just want to see how he gets those 45-70s in that itty bitty 92! :lol:
but, I have about 400 plus western movies and old tv episodes
some are not period correct...but, what the hay!
and your list is a pretty good start....
I like anything with Tom Selleck or Sam Elliott, and of course, John Wayne
Tom Selleck is a stickler for period correct firearms and equipment.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I don't recall the gun specifics one way or another, but Broken Trail is a good yarn, largely thanks to the usual good work of Robert Duvall. He elevates just about any movie he's in--especially the westerns. I've always been a big fan of the Spaghetti trio. Appropriately gritty and certainly no fancy boots, ironed shirts and new Stetsons free from sweat stain!

Civil War movies depicting SAAs and repeating levers aside, guns out of period generally don't bother me too much if it's otherwise a good story and well cast and shot, However I draw the line at having a Win 94 (esp Post War) in it--or worst, 60s-issue Marlins like the Big Valley used--which usually is a bad sign of things really gone awry and prop departments gone cheap. I realize the 92s are just two years removed from the 94s, but they don't seem too glaring--perhaps 'cause used so much in all those John Wayne (and just about all other) movies, I'm just used to them. They've "become period" by sheer tenacity!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Any of the newer westerns will have more period correct guns in them and that is always nice.

Crossfire Trail really showcases the 1876
Last Stand at Saber River showcases some nice conversion pistols and a 66.

Open Range shows off a few period guns.
Broken Trail does also.

The one where Eastwood plays the Preacher...title slips me right now. It showcases the 58 Remmy pretty nicely.

There are lots of good ones but usually the ones that are made from the 80s through today feature more of the period correct guns.

My brain is not working right at the moment due to me having a bad cold. Sorry I could not be of more help.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Probably doesn't qualify as "Old West," but one of the things I love about "the Wild Bunch" is the range of weapons in there. It pretty much encompasses everything I love, from Model 94s to M1903 Springfields, and from Peacemakers to M1911s. Not to mention Model 12 shotguns and Mexican Mausers. And, there's also the Browning M1917 machine gun making a bit of an, uhhh, early appearance, shall we say. That was a very interesting time for firearms, in my opinion.

Scott
1894c

Post by 1894c »

RED RIVER... :)
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

The lonesome dove movies!

Dead man's walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome dove
Streets of Laredo

A little late for old west but i enjoy all the krags, 1895s, and others in the Rough Riders
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

"Ride the High Country " with Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott. Model 8 Remington, Model 1895 Winchester, and a young Mariette Hartley.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I generally put Unforgiven down as tops since the Colt double barrel, Starr revolver and Spencer rifle used in the movie were all actual original period pieces.

The Schofield and others were replicas.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Too many great Westerns to make a choice! Realistic armaments coupled with outstanding actors (in my opinion) - any one of those with Tom Selleck, Robert Duvall, Sam Elliott, and the ever laconic Clint Eastwood!

And I have to say that Jeff Bridges totally threw me in the remake of that classic, "True Grit" - I didn't think he had it in him. Outstanding stuff.

I wish they had made many more.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Just bought the Tom Selleck trilogy on Amazon for $12............Last Stand is included
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Silverado?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wild bunch!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Spotted an 03A3 in the Wild Bunch tho...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,
Another great one------------here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1Mnvdj24I
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can't believe you guys are forgetting "Winchester ' 73" staring Jimmy Stewart! :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Then, there is the "best" movie for Old West gun viewing that made me laugh -
"Colt 45," 1950, with Randolph Scott:
1) Mr. Scott and a "bad guy" had a .45 Peacemaker with a barrel length that varied between scenes, and
2) Most of the others carried a Thompson Center (T/C) pistol that they hid in a deep holster!

Apparently, they were trying to make it look like the T/C's were the older type of percussion pistols that were still around during the early years of Colt production. Hilarious!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

"The life and times of Judge Roy Bean"
The judge's mistress gets landed on her butt when she shoots at him with a Winchester 1887 :lol:
It's been years since I saw it but I seem to remember that they even used a blackpowder load.
Last edited by gundownunder on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Tombstone pretty much takes the cake as far as historical prop accuracy (other than Doc getting 3 shots out of a double barrel!). Peter Skerakyo wrote a book about it, as not only provided the majority of the guns, tack, hats, etc for the movie, but also acted in it. It is an interesting book, and if you ever want to try to copy any of the leatherwork, the pictures give you a great place to start.
Here is a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Tombstone-Guns-Ge ... ap_title_0
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

JohndeFresno wrote:Then, there is the "best" movie for Old West gun viewing that made me laugh -
1) Mr. Scott and a "bad guy" had a .45 Peacemaker with a barrel length that varied between scenes, and
2) Most of the others carried a Thompson Center (T/C) pistol that they hid in a deep holster!

Apparently, they were trying to make it look like the T/C's were the older type of percussion pistols that were still around during the early years of Colt production. Hilarious!
But...T/C didn't come around until 1965. :?: :idea: So, you just mean they were cap/ball pistols?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I love watching Tombstone just for the guns and leather. The leather is for man and beast.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

madman4570 wrote:Guys,
Another great one------------here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1Mnvdj24I
Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea are excellent in this movie....
2 of my favorites
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

RSY wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:Then, there is the "best" movie for Old West gun viewing that made me laugh -

But...T/C didn't come around until 1965. :?: :idea: So, you just mean they were cap/ball pistols?
My bad; will have to research the movie database and see if I can find it. It was definitely the "Contender" in a Western; thought it was the movie named. I remember it was a big star of the day, thought it was R Scott...
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

The Last Stand at Saber River had a Henry not a ''66''. Remember it was at the end of the Civil War.

Was it in Lonesome Dove where they used a '92 with the forearm removed and some kind of work done to the front of the reciever to make it look like a Henry. He shot and shot and the follower next to the reciever.

Owen
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

JohndeFresno ... I'd wager it was one of these type muzzle loaders...The upper one is perhaps the Tingle model of 1960...The lower one that really looks TC is some kind of EyeTye version..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ben_Rumson wrote:JohndeFresno ... I'd wager it was one of these type muzzle loaders...The upper one is perhaps the Tingle model of 1960...The lower one that really looks TC is some kind of EyeTye version..
It could have been Nr 85 - the one on the lower left (above) - but with a flatter, plain grip.

What I saw as just a squarish angled grip, flat sideplate and hammer, which to all appearances looked to me like the Contender. The holsters of those carrying that gun had high "ears," so to speak, that hid the handgun, which I think was on purpose. When the bad guy and the good guy wore the .45 Colt, the holster was cut away as we normally see to expose at least part of the cylinder and trigger area.

That gun above, specifically the one marked "85," the one in the lower left corner of the photo - is it a correct copy of a period piece? If so, then perhaps that is what I saw.

I just checked Netflix and I am sure that the movie was Scott's "Colt .45" - a movie bundled with two others. I clicked on it to rent it again, since it is only available on DVD, but I saw that it is now marked as "Very Long Wait." Maybe because other posters saw this thread and are curious to see it, too! Too bad I can't find a clip or two on YouTube or other streaming media site to put this to bed.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Found a still photo! If I post it on the site, I might run into copyright violations, so here is the link to view one of the guys with what looks to me like two Thompson Contenders (!) although you are right; it appears that the pistol was not marketed until about 15 years later.

Are these cap and ball pistols, or did Hollywood use a prototype of the T/C?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctarchives ... /lightbox/

Note that the "bad guy" on the right and the Sheriff on the left both have the same gun. Note that the Sheriff's holstered gun has that characteristic squarish grip that you see on today's T/C's. Educate me, please, if this is a legitimate muzzle loading pistol (or fair copy thereof).
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Hightime said:
"Was it in Lonesome Dove where they used a '92 with the forearm removed and some kind of work done to the front of the reciever to make it look like a Henry. He shot and shot and the follower next to the reciever."

I've seen several like that. '73s and '66 "Yellow Boys" especially. For awhile it was a popular "modification" to give the Henry appearance while still allowing 5-in-1 blanks.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

JohndeFresno wrote:Found a still photo! If I post it on the site, I might run into copyright violations, so here is the link to view one of the guys with what looks to me like two Thompson Contenders (!) although you are right; it appears that the pistol was not marketed until about 15 years later.

Are these cap and ball pistols, or did Hollywood use a prototype of the T/C?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctarchives ... /lightbox/

Note that the "bad guy" on the right and the Sheriff on the left both have the same gun. Note that the Sheriff's holstered gun has that characteristic squarish grip that you see on today's T/C's. Educate me, please, if this is a legitimate muzzle loading pistol (or fair copy thereof).
Cool. Looks like Remington 1867 rolling block pistols.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

RSY wrote: Cool. Looks like Remington 1867 rolling block pistols.
There ya go, RSY.
That is a new one on me! Thank you for the clarification, and my apologies to Mr. Randolph Scott
(although that is a bit late).
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

JohndeFresno wrote:
RSY wrote: Cool. Looks like Remington 1867 rolling block pistols.
There ya go, RSY.
That is a new one on me! Thank you for the clarification, and my apologies to Mr. Randolph Scott
(although that is a bit late).
No problem. Looks like the props guy on that film did a pretty good job, actually.

The barbers must have been busy in those Old West movie towns: Everyone, even the bad guys, is usually sporting a nice clean shave and a fresh haircut!

Hey, just noticed that it's the Skipper on Scott's right. Where's Gilligan?
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

While we're picking nits, I have an old photo from one of the releaseing theaters of the movie "The Wild Bunch" .. the springfield is an A3 with the world war two rear peep sight.. Dirk Thornton's sleasy bounty hunters.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

The Johnson county wars Tom Berringer as Hero and Burt Reynolds as Azzhole Sherrif,

lots of good old rifles. Another Good one is Death Hunt Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin

Lots of great guns!

Bob
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

The Johnson county wars Tom Berringer as Hero and Burt Reynolds as Azzhole Sherrif,

lots of good old rifles. Another Good one is Death Hunt Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin

Lots of great guns!

Bob
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

These responses are very helpfull. Thanks. It is keeping me busy on a dreary day. If the sun comes out , I have to shoot some special 45 c loads, but until then, I keep checking out movie trailers.

Owen
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Tom Selleck version of "Monte Walsh", and "Silverado" a couple of my favorites.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
kragluver
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kragluver »

In his interviews, I've read where Selleck will often use guns from his personal collection in movies.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

The NRA book says that whrn he does Western movies he insists on period correct firearms. Then it's in his contract to recieve those same gun afterwards.

Owen
jens5
Levergunner

Post by jens5 »

airedaleman wrote:"Ride the High Country " with Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott. Model 8 Remington, Model 1895 Winchester, and a young Mariette Hartley.

Good one
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Rube Burrows wrote:Any of the newer westerns will have more period correct guns in them and that is always nice.

Crossfire Trail really showcases the 1876
Last Stand at Saber River showcases some nice conversion pistols and a 66.

Open Range shows off a few period guns.
Broken Trail does also.

The one where Eastwood plays the Preacher...title slips me right now. It showcases the 58 Remmy pretty nicely.

There are lots of good ones but usually the ones that are made from the 80s through today feature more of the period correct guns.

My brain is not working right at the moment due to me having a bad cold. Sorry I could not be of more help.
i think the movie was pale rider
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

just as the Sharps rifle is the star of Quigley Down Under,
the 1876 is the star of Tom Horn.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Tom_Horn
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have just watched an old (1940) black and white movie called "Arizona" staring Jean Arthur and William Holden.
The movie set in the 1860s had more authentic firearms than any other I've ever seen, even original speed loaders for a Henry rifle. :o
The villain had a pair of D/A Star revolvers and I "think" Jean Arthur had amongst other firearms a Hall carbine.
I have only watched this DVD once but I intend to see it frame by frame just to check the fantastic attention to detail.

This is one movie I really recommend to all fellow gun nuts... 8) 8) 8) I'm not saying no mistakes were made but I saw very few compared to most Westerns...
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rube Burrows wrote:Any of the newer westerns will have more period correct guns in them and that is always nice.
Perhaps a good posting would be which movie has the worst gun viewing. One of my favorites is A Time for Killing with Glen Ford, George Hamilton, Max Baer Jr (Jethro) and others. It's a civil war picture where the soldiers are armed with trapdoors, 92 Winchesters and Colt peacemakers! :roll:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

bulldog1935 wrote:just as the Sharps rifle is the star of Quigley Down Under,
the 1876 is the star of Tom Horn.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Tom_Horn
...and the Winchester 73 in the movie Winchester 73. :wink:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not an Old West movie but great period piece for gun viewing is "The Wind and the Lion" Starring Sean Connery, and Brian Keith as Teddy Roosevelt- Great story, great acting, allot of action.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

JB wrote:
Perhaps a good posting would be which movie has the worst gun viewing. One of my favorites is A Time for Killing with Glen Ford, George Hamilton, Max Baer Jr (Jethro) and others. It's a civil war picture where the soldiers are armed with trapdoors, 92 Winchesters and Colt peacemakers! :roll:
"Shenandoah" starring Jimmy Stewart was a civil war piece which showed Union troops using Trapdoor Springfields. :roll: