Tinnitus and Veterans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Tinnitus and Veterans

Post by Pitchy »

Most may know this but i`ll pass it along.
If you have ringing of the ears (tinnitus) and were around loud noise in the service you are entitled to 10% disability from the VA.
Go to your VA admid. and tell them you want to be tested for it, not hearing loss that`s different.
It`s a 125.00 bucks a month so worth checking into . :wink: :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Tinnitus and Veterans

Post by J Miller »

Well now ain't that just a bit discriminatory? I got tinnitus from being around loud equipment, but am not a veteran. I can't get diddly squat from Uncle Sugar for it. Or ex-employers, or the state or anybody.

Geez I can't even get a kiss from my wife when it gives me a screaming headache.

No fair. :cry:

Joe

PS, how do they test for tinnitus?
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the headsup Pitchy. Never even thunk it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Joe

It`s just like a hearing test, they can`t prove you don`t have it.
If you were subjected to loud noise in the service and your ears ring go for it you deserve it.
Just remember your claiming tinnitus not hearing loss when you talk to your VA administrator. :)

Your welcome
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

What?

I won't get any discounts... my tinnitus is caused by chronic ear infections as a child and my choice to be a competitive swimmer for 11 years - not to mention a few un protected shooting sessions and liking loud music.... :oops:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Have to look into it. I can always use the $$ but more important would be getting a "service-connected" rating. My ears have rung since I worked on B-52s, including up close and personal with running jet engines. Thanks Pitchy!
Certified gun nut
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Interesting.

I don't care about the check, but I do need the Rating since having a 0% Medical Discharge like I do really confuses the heck out of the various agencies I have to try to find work with...

Thanks for the heads up, especially since I've got to go to the VA Tuesday anyway... I guess I'll tell them about my Cannon Cocker Ear while I'm there... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not many know about it, i was a crew chief on F-4s and around jet engines all the time. That is the number one cause because of the high pitch noise, that and they didn`t supply you with ear protection that was worth stuff, remember that if that`s the case.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good "heads up" Pitchy. :D (for the vets here of which I'm not)

My ears rings so bad 24/7 that it sounds like there's a cricket convention going on in my head. It got so bad one time, it near caused me to have a nervous breakdown. If I think about the noise, it brings on high BP and the "heebie jeebies".

Thats what I get for shooting 52 of my 57 years, most without ear protection.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Where do you think that money comes from?

Sorry Pitchy but this kind of disability skimming is just another path into your neighbors pocket for something that's not their fault.

Another welfare entitlement.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

FWiedner wrote:Where do you think that money comes from?

Sorry Pitchy but this kind of disability skimming is just another path into your neighbors pocket for something that's not their fault.

I understand your thought but don`t see it that way if your harmed by what you did in the service.
I used to feel bad about it a little but when i see the gov giving money and everything else to illegals and people that don`t deserve it now it doesn`t bother me.
The VA system is a game just like the SS system, seems those that don`t deserve anything get it and those that do don`t.
I figured this would rile some and i`m sorry
I got the 10% and have a clear conscience
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

yea, like the government sends the working man's children to do THEIR dirty work and die like dogs while theirs are in Harvard. Like the politicians get lifetime medical coverage when you or I can lose our butt if we have to go in the hospital even after working 40 years and suddenly don't have coverage at age 64. Like those dirty rotten politicians are exempt from "insider trading" laws. The list goes on an on.

Its about time we get a tidbit of a financial windfall and BTW, Pitchy did not say it in a corrupt way, only in a way that "you may not know" as once again, the feds are not about to advertise freebies---unless your an illegal or black.----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Please don`t let this turn into hard feelings and an argument, i only posted about it so that brothers here that feel they have a honest claim go talk to their VA ADmids and see if they qualify.
If this subject is going to up-set some here then i failed at the point of the thread.
I`ll say this, if you have a clear conscience about asking for a benefit go for it.
I don`t want to loose any friends over this. :(
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun now my ears are ringing :lol:
no really they are,all self inflicted, guns & chainsaws
not a vet. but have known some that never got a thing for anything
from agent orange to gun shots

ollogger

i
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Pitchy, When I was a 431X1E, one duty I got now and again was looking after our "reserve" wing of "timed out" B-52s, kept on the alert ramp with the dual function of fooling the soviet "fly in the sky" into thinking we had more bombers "cocked and locked" than we did, and to be used as actual nuke delivery systems in the event the big "horn" went off one day.

These 'nam vet, played out, F model Buffs were parked immediately adjacent to the active hammerhead. One day I'm out there cranking engines on one of em, and my supervisor yells and points at the hammerhead. A transient F-4 was making his turn onto the active runway not 100 yards away. I stood transfixed as he made his turn and his brake check, then took the full effect of a full afterburner take-off, basically looking right up his tail pipe at about a 45 degree angle. Despite Sam-issued "Mickey Mouse" ear defenders it HURT and I couldn't hear a child's voice for YEARS afterward for the ringing. I still ALWAYS have background tinnitus, some days worse than others. F-4s were the LOUDEST thing we had. Made a buff with 8 engines running seem quiet, even adjusting a fuel control on a running engine (done that a time or two).

I was just at the VA hospital friday, and I would never have had any idea you could get compensation of any kind for tinnitus. It's just one of uncle sugar's gifts we who cared for jets got for free and expected nobody cared. I thank you for the post. if I'm entitled, well then dammit, I paid for it more ways than one.....
Last edited by adirondakjack on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified gun nut
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

Thanks Pitchy.

I spent 8 years in the Navy sitting at a radar scope with radio circuits blasting my eardrums. I would be trying to talk to a ship hundreds of miles away with the volume way up, then the ship 1000 yards away would start broadcasting and it would be so loud that I would have to rip the headphones off my head. My high frequency hearing is pretty much gone and have tinnitus is both ears. Those of you who don't have it have no idea how taxing it is on daily living.

I don't care if this is my last post here. FWiedner you can shove your post where the sun doesn't shine.
As we used to say in the Navy 'gulf foxtrot yankee' buddy.
Last edited by FF1063 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

adirondakjack wrote:Pitchy, When I was a 431X1E, one duty I got now and again was looking after our "reserve" wing of "timed out" B-52s, kept on the alert ramp with the dual function of fooling the soviet "fly in the sky" into thinking we had more bombers "cocked and locked" than we did, and to be used as actual nuke delivery systems in the event the big "horn" went off one day.

These 'nam vet, played out, F model Buffs were parked immediately adjacent to the active hammerhead. One day I'm out there cranking engines on one of em, and my supervisor yells and points at the hammerhead. A transient F-4 was making his turn onto the active runway not 100 yards away. I stood transfixed as he made his turn and his brake check, then took the full effect of a full afterburner take-off, basically looking right up his tail pipe at about a 45 degree angle. Despite Sam-issued "Mickey Mouse" ear defenders it HURT and I couldn't hear a child's voice for YEARS afterward for the ringing. I still ALWAYS have background tinnitus, some days worse than others. F-4s were the LOUDEST thing we had. Made a buff with 8 engines running seem quiet, even adjusting a fuel control on a running engine (done that a time or two).
Yepper, go see the VA rep bro.
Thanks guys.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Fred, I don't want the $$$, I want the "points" that will give me employment parity with people who get "points" for simply being born (PC group x,y,z,).

THAT is ALL a "rating" means to me - using this stupid "system" to get back on an equal footing in the employment world.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I was a machine gunner, grenadier and patrol lead in Security Forces.

We worked around two squadrons of F-16s home station, deployed, I was yards away either on foot or in vehicles from 3 squadrons of C-130s, one of Tornados (twice as loud as F-16s) and most of a wing's worth of KC-135s and RC-135s......toss in a squadron of B-1Bs as the icing on the cake. Even with either foamy plugs in or the Surefire plugs, you lose some.

I told the doc in my initial VA visit I have hearing loss (confirmed) and tinnitus, he didn't give me squat for either, much less the knee injuries that got me out of the service.

Having four B-1Bs with a full load each of Very Good News for the Taliban taking off on afterburners to clear the deck right over your Humvee while you watch for any SAM crews sneaking in...even in a sealed-up Humvee with plugs in and your hands shoved over them and the truck rocking from the jet wash......

Yeah. How I'm not already deaf I don't know. I had tinnitus by the time I was 30. Sucks.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

WELFARE? Men in fine suits sit comfortably in air-conditioned offices because young, rough men, working class kids, took an oath to support and defend. Some gave all, all gave some, and NO, Sam never did give me back those years, the years my well-heeled school mates spent in environments with nothing more dangerous than the occasional popping pot seed burning their shirt.

FW, this is for you pal. You're lost. You really don't get it, not at all.
Certified gun nut
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`ve had ringing ears since i was in and never new about the claim until a couple years ago.
It`s my understanding that they can not deny you for the tinnitus if you were exposed to high noise levels.
Just remember that`s what your claiming not hearing lose that`s a separate claim.

Another story, i was taught to stand directly in front of the nose cone when launching F4`s and that`s what we did. Then one day a order came down from headquarters saying to stand off to the side because we could be bombarded with radiation from the avionics.
They even told us that we should get a copy of the letter in case we have health problems later in life.
Well i`ve been sick since i was in but of course no one knows anything and i`ve been denied anything.
Don`t take no for an answer if you feel your right brothers. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Anyone else here chipped paint with a chipping hammer in a 40'x40' steel "room", including deck, bulkhead and overhead for days on end with 3 or 4 other guys banging away with their chipping hammers, and one pair of sound suppressors to go around? We'll I have and in more than one magazine below decks on an aircraft carrier and for many more than one occurance, ...and it weren't no pleasure cruise during all those months spent aboard. Anyone else here slept immediately under an asbestos wrapped steam pipe connected to an aircraft carrier catapult system for years? Anyone else here served as plane captain for years on hot cement ramps as jet fighter aircraft are turned on, gone through systems check and given to go signal? Well, if you haven't, you might give a fellow a little slack if he happens to have chronic tinnitus and appreciates knowing there is some compensation for this condition available to him. Apologies accepted from those not so fortunate as to have experienced these conditions. Thanks Pitchy for your heads-up!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Pitchy, first I'm going to apologize to you I know the spirit you meant this in and I should keep my mouth shut but I'm tired of abiding people whining about Veterans getting benefits.That said if you are not willing to put your own rear end in dangers way for others don't whine when those who did get some pay back for their ( not your ) efforts . That goes for Public Safety Officers/Fire Fighters / Emts as well. There will be a day when you need these people and then they are priceless .
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

If you were drafted and got any kind of disability because of it, you are entitled to compensation.
What is all this talk of ratings and points? Not being a government employee, I don't have a clue.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

765x53 wrote:If you were drafted and got any kind of disability because of it, you are entitled to compensation.
What is all this talk of ratings and points? Not being a government employee, I don't have a clue.
The VA allows for certain benefits only to those with a service connected disability. That 10% disability might mean a lot in terms of cost or future access to medical benefits, etc.

Points will help a vet if he applies for government work, Postal, cutting grass at a federal building, anywhere uncle sugar hires folks.

I was to young and indestructible to apply for a rating when I bolloxsed up both knees AT WORK while in service. I didn't even know the tinnitus was a compensable injury, but I do now.
Certified gun nut
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Pitchy,

Thanks for the heads up. I doubt I will ever seek compensation, but it is nice to know I could. I, as a fellow vet, appreciate you taking the time to post.

Kevin
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Whether or not we vets choose to take any benefit is not the point ..... to paraphrase, "We served, therefore we deserve."

Thanks Much, Pitchy, my many shipmates and I appreciate your help and thank you in advance for providing this information to us.

Cheers,

Carl
retired Navy Seabee
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

As of I think 2005 Uncle Sam has renigged on his promise to take care of Your Medical as long as You live. That was the Year I decided to apply and was denied benifits because I made too much money. At the time My Wife and I both were on disability. If You are a millionaire and was already in the System You couldn't be kicked out. As for Me I could certainly use the VA medical benifits, but alas even on SS and My Wifes job We make too much. If I could sell My House in the Hills I would qualify because I wouldn't have the rental income.
You SEE, the powers that be have decided that they can no longer make good on their promise, the money is needed elsewhere like Welfare for someone sitting on their duff smoking pot and buying Lottery tickets with Our money,Thats Welfare,3rd 4th & 5th generatuons of same not to mention their own salaries and pensions plus the best health care for life just for seving one term.
This may be just what I need to qualify. If You ahve a service connected disability You cannot be denied.
Thanks Pitchy I'm done
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks Pitchy. I can still remember the year in my service time I started to notice my ears ringing. It's gotten worse with time and most drugs, even over the counter stuff, send it sky high. Some foods too. Go figure.

Hey, for what it's worth, one of my Army pals was recently prescribed a mild anti-depressant for something else and the first thing he noticed when he takes it is that it mutes his tinnitus by 80%, even if he quarters the pill and takes a very small dose. He takes it just before bed time and it's really helped him to get to sleep. Wow! I'd pay good money for that but unfortunately I can't take anything like that given my profession. Well, so be it, but I thought maybe some of you guys might find that info interesting.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well thanks guys i hope those that choose to pursue it get it, the VA doesn`t want you to know this i`m sure and some VA reps will try and stear ya wrong.
As it was told to me about ten years ago a guy sued the gov. about this and won so those effected can get the benefit.
Tell your rep to submit the claim and to set up a appointment with the VA for a hearing test.
Hopefully someone hasn`t changed this so forgive me if they have ya know the system works.
When they asked me why i was applying now i said i didn`t know it was available before.
I`ve been sick for 35 years and never asked for anything until recently and struggled all those years to get by.
I need to find someone who has a copy of that letter that said we were getting hurt from standing in front of those planes before i can move forward in my case.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My dad never figured he had anything wrong with him.

Considering he saw heavy combat in Vietnam ('68-69), had PTSD from it, was in Gulf War 1 and his PTSD kicked back in from that....

40 and 20 years after his wars respectively, he was finally convinced to go check with the VA.

Let's just say 40 years back pay for 60% (now upped to 80%) disability was...... considerable. Somewhere approaching six figures I believe. He also has disabled plates and free hearing aids now.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

[Q] I don't care if this is my last post here. FWiedner you can shove your post where the sun doesn't shine.
As we used to say in the Navy 'gulf foxtrot yankee' buddy.[/quote]

+1

I wasn't in the military, but they can ban me with you.

I have no problems compensating somebody injured in the course of defending the US of A.

Those are just ordinary costs of protecting the homeland.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Be nice guys, everyone has a right to their opinons, lets keep this a good thing.
Thanks for the kind words and i hope someone benifits from the thread. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hey Pitchy, thanks for the heads up. Sorta glad I was gone the last two days, that way I missed all the BS. And yea, them Phantoms were loud. I spent many an hours sitting on a taxiway as those darned thing lit up the afterburner for take off, and more than a few when they lit afterburner in a low pass. And, I too have that constant ringing. But I think sitting under the engine in a Husky did more damage than anything, those headsets really didn't do any good.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The Phantoms were loud. But trust me, when the Navy and USMC pilots brought them in at what seemed like tree top level, they sounded like a symphony! I bet some NVA and VC are still running....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray Newman wrote:The Phantoms were loud. But trust me, when the Navy and USMC pilots brought them in at what seemed like tree top level, they sounded like a symphony! I bet some NVA and VC are still running....
I kinda liked the sound of the A1E Skyraiders. They carried a ton or ordinance and could stay on station all day long.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Moondawg
Levergunner

Post by Moondawg »

I have loud ringing in my ears and collect the $125.00 a month from the VA, I also have hearing loss in the high frequency and speech range, and wear two hearing aids, which the government pays for. I don't feel it is discriminatory, because I get these and civilians do not. I didn't ask the Army to put me on a 105 mm howitzer crew, in Korea, and not provide any hearing protection whatsoever. Nor did I ask to be sent to Viet Nam where I was exposed to loud choppers, incoming mortar fire, as well as small arms fire, again without hearing protection. After Viet Nam I got to ride around in M113s, again without any hearing protection. It was not until sometime around 1978 that the Army began providing and allowing hearing protection. By then my hearing was shot. Civilians that work in load noise areas can wear and are provided hearing protection, and if you get tinnitus and have a hearing loss, as a result of your job, every state has worker's compensation. The bottom line, if anyone is jealous, about the $125.00 a month we vets get from the government, well all I can say is, the rest of ya'll could have joined up, but you didn't.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Moondawg wrote: , , if anyone is jealous, about the $125.00 a month we vets get from the government, well all I can say is, the rest of ya'll could have joined up, but you didn't.
Good on ya, Moondawg. Needed saying.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Pitchy
Thanks for the heads up on this, and keeping it civil. I am not sure I would qualify or not, partly cause I can't remember when the ringing started. I did serve 3 years, but not around jets, I did use the various small arms, but was on the radio a lot of the time, as a Nike Hercules missle crewman, LCT operator. Although most of the time we didn't ear protection, after basic training, it wasn't like I was exposed to arms fire, like the guys that saw combat, I didn't. I served 72-75, stateside and West Germany. I was, on occasion, subjected to the side blast of the M-60 tanks that had their range within 20 yds of our rifle range (Ft. Knox Ky). The concussion was pretty impressive from those beasts, plus they scare the stuff out of ya, when you didn't hear them roll up there.

I feel mine (yes I have major tinitus) might be more a result of 26 1/2 years of wearing headphones 5-6 days a week as an Air Traffic Controller, but I appreciate your post, and feel for those like you, that suffered an even greater shock to the ears than I did. You guys deserve it.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

jnyork wrote:
Moondawg wrote: , , if anyone is jealous, about the $125.00 a month we vets get from the government, well all I can say is, the rest of ya'll could have joined up, but you didn't.
Good on ya, Moondawg. Needed saying.
Thread Drift Thread Drift, this goes along with the New saying. "If You don't want to stand behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front of Them".
Perry
This is one of the few things that get Me riled
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Just to keep everything in perspective for everyone, FWiedner served also. I don't agree with him on this particular point, but he isn't a draft dodger etc.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

handirifle wrote:Pitchy
Thanks for the heads up on this, and keeping it civil. I am not sure I would qualify or not, partly cause I can't remember when the ringing started. I did serve 3 years, but not around jets, I did use the various small arms, but was on the radio a lot of the time, as a Nike Hercules missle crewman, LCT operator. Although most of the time we didn't ear protection, after basic training, it wasn't like I was exposed to arms fire, like the guys that saw combat, I didn't. I served 72-75, stateside and West Germany. I was, on occasion, subjected to the side blast of the M-60 tanks that had their range within 20 yds of our rifle range (Ft. Knox Ky). The concussion was pretty impressive from those beasts, plus they scare the stuff out of ya, when you didn't hear them roll up there.

I feel mine (yes I have major tinitus) might be more a result of 26 1/2 years of wearing headphones 5-6 days a week as an Air Traffic Controller, but I appreciate your post, and feel for those like you, that suffered an even greater shock to the ears than I did. You guys deserve it.
If you feel it came from what you did in the service put in a claim you`ll probably get it.
Prayers sent for all hard feelings and bad health from service for the country. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Seems like everyone has their hand out anymore. It is always some one eases fault.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

sore shoulder wrote:Just to keep everything in perspective for everyone, FWiedner served also. I don't agree with him on this particular point, but he isn't a draft dodger etc.

Thanks for your service and your opinion FWiedner :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

J Miller wrote:Well now ain't that just a bit discriminatory? I got tinnitus from being around loud equipment, but am not a veteran. I can't get diddly squat from Uncle Sugar for it. Or ex-employers, or the state or anybody.

Geez I can't even get a kiss from my wife when it gives me a screaming headache.

Joe

How is it not fair Joe? You could have enlisted and served but chose not to.
ED
Yer never too old
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Modoc ED wrote:
J Miller wrote:Well now ain't that just a bit discriminatory? I got tinnitus from being around loud equipment, but am not a veteran. I can't get diddly squat from Uncle Sugar for it. Or ex-employers, or the state or anybody.

Joe

How is it not fair Joe? You could have enlisted and served but chose not to.
In fact this thread was started by a Veteran too the Veterans on this board too help them out.
I didn`t title the thread , What are non vets opinions on the matter so if ya arn`t a vet there is really no need to say anything.
If you want to debate the right and wrongs of the VA system please post a thread in the political forum.
Thanks guys, just trying to keep it a good thing.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Pitchy--Thanks for the heads up on this item. I was a 43151E from 61-65 around B47's and Huey Crew chief in the Guard from 74-80 so I plan on giving this a shot. I've got a whole field of crickets in my head.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I can pinpoint the exact second and place I got some 20 decibels hearing loss and tinnitus with it - at the Naval Air Station in Denver in 1951 -

However - it's not a real problem - hearing loss in a frequency that's no problem and tinnitus no real problem - and - Oh yeah, the incident occurred when I was standing too close to the station #1 while we were shooting skeet on our rec time - doubt I'd get much sympathy -

:roll:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OK. So today I began the process of thwarting the evil EEOC system by applying for a VA "disability" rating.

I did NOT apply for compensation or pension. I am using this stupid system, which care less about skills than which EEOC check boxes are filled behind your name, against itself.

I stood close enough to enough explosions to "deserve" their stupid "rating" and I'm dang sure going to use it against them.

If they decide to "give" me stolen money, I'll use it to "pay" my annual Extortion bill.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Ironsights wrote:If they decide to "give" me stolen money, I'll use it to "pay" my annual Extortion bill.
OI, i would much rather you have it than the girl who works with my wife at a local pharmacy. 21 years old, minority- not married (imagine that) with 2 kids ages 5 and 1 --- she is apparently a nincompoop and the company is afraid to fire her
$500+ per month in food stamps, plus who knows what else --- just because this numbskull couldnt keep her legs shut as a teenager, and she brags about all the other programs she qualifies for -- housing assistance, cheap loans, etc

A buddy of mine from Desert Storm who i have recently re-connected with encouraged me to check into this as well, because i have significant hearing loss -- he stated he got the 10% immediately ---

Even if the financial renumerance is meaningless to some -- it still may open things up for advanced audio care if needed , less expensive hearing aids, and other things .

Give veterans a bit more, give undisciplined party animals who have too many kids a bit less. But unlike the example of human life i griped about above, i have never really asked for any help or handouts , and was proud to serve --- For a long time, i just accepted my hearing loss in my left ear as a side effect of doing an ugly job that i technically volunteered for, i wasn't drafted

I am going to check into a little help now . My buddies prompting, plus this post, plus the numerous times i had to tell someone to face me when they talk to me or i may not hear ---

Thanks for the reminder Pitchy
----- Doug