Need help with S&W N frame grips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Need help with S&W N frame grips

Post by ving-thorr »

Hello,

The little guy is getting to big to be leaving nightstand guns on the nightstands. my wife's nightstand gun is a S&W Model 29 with the big 8 3/8" barrel. loaded with .44 special the gun points naturally and doesn't kick much, which she appreciates.

The problem is the target grips are just a little bit too big to fit in the lock box. a grip that leaves the back strap and bottom strap open to the air would be just right. does anyone know of such a grip? do the S&W service grips leave the bottom strap open?

i don't want to take these grips to the sander, but if I have to I could just get cheap spares off ebay and sand them down

thanks in advance,
Jesse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need help with S&W N frame grips

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd just cut a 1"x1-1/2" hole/notch in the side of the lockbox for that long muzzle to extend outside a bit during locked storage and fahgettaboutit.

(I'd line the edges of the cut/hole/notch with small lengths of slit rubber tubing to protect the gun's finish, though)

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Yes, N frame "service" (correct term "magna") grips do leave the bottom of the grip frame open. Original S&W service and/or target grips can be spendy, however there are other non-factory grips on the market which mimic the factory's service shape for much less money. That would be my suggested solution before drilling a hole in the lock box and just shoving the barrel through it. :roll: Also would find a pair of grips like you need before taking the originals targets to a grinder. Those have pretty good cash/trade value also. Don't grind, please. Of course, the best solution to your problem would merely be picking up another 29 with a 6" barrel. :D
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

GoatGuy wrote:Of course, the best solution to your problem would merely be picking up another 29 with a 6" barrel. :D
Ya, i tried that route with the War Department, but she wasn't having it.

How about these grips that S&W sells on their website
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

buy a bigger lock box then! :wink:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

You know, I wouldn't select those for my mod 29 if I were looking for a replacement set of grip panels. The standard profile service grips will allow the hand to have more support at the top of the backstrap. Those pictured are a reproduction of an older style and, in my opinion, while nice looking are not as practical for as the later style when firing an N frame Smith revolver.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have Pachmayr Gripper grips on my S&Ws they cover the back but are not as flared and large at the bottom.
Pachmayr also makes their Gripper Pro series:
http://www.pachmayr.com/home/gripper-pro.php
that have an open back and are a bit smaller yet. I have both sets and there is a significant difference. I'd try those, or well let your wife try them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Agree, pick up a pair of Pachmayr grips. They're cheap enough and if you still need to do any fitting, you won't be ruining a set of S&W wooden grips.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Houge grips,
fix your problem,
she will like them better
all my Smiths wear them.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I think all the Pachmayer grips will cover and extend the bottom of the grip frame, the magna grips mentioned will not, they along with a Tyler-t grip adapter should solve your problem if you can find them.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you check at a gunshow you can usually find the service style Magna grips for a lot less than retail. Most people want the larger Magnum or target style or whatever they call them for some reason. The last pair I bought for my M28 were $10 used. I like the smaller style myself as I feel they are better for double action.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have some Smith and Wesson N frame target grips that have been shortened at the bottom, have had the flair at the bottom removed and slimmed down the front. Send me a PM with your address and I will send them to you. If they don't fit your box you can take off more wood and no harm done. No charge of course.

Charles Graff
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

At least go to the candy store and feel the Houges.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Gents,

Thanks for the tips.

Charles, PM sent, thanks!