Pet 30-30 loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Pet 30-30 loads

Post by handirifle »

OK now that I have decided the '66 Centennial is going to be a shooter, and maybe someday see limited time as a hunter, I'd like to know some of your favorite target shooting loads. For hunting, I am way more limited, and it has to be using the Barnes TSX meant for the 30-30. So any loads for it that seem to work well in the Winnies is appreciated too.

I'm hoping I already have some of the most common used powders.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pet 30-30 loads

Post by El Chivo »

Update 1/26/12 - apparently my Barnes load is quite hot, something I never intended. According to my info (the "Barnes Bullet" page from Loadbooks) it's a full grain under the max, with a slightly longer OAL. I'll have to check it out further. In general I don't do max loads.

I noticed Barnes doesn't publish a load for H4895 any longer, but their current 150 grain loads for other powders only go about 2000 fps. Mine is supposed to be going 2200. Their page says it is current as of 2006, well, I bought my Loadbook well after that, maybe 2008. But as you know Loadbooks are compilations and who knows when they got their info.

Oh well we shouldn't be shooting people's pets anyway.
Last edited by El Chivo on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A fun load I use a lot of is the 170gr. cast gascheck 31141 (lots of bullet casters make this or something very similar) with 18 gr. of Accurate 5744, light crimp. And another fun load is a 110 grain jacketed bullet (I use the Speer spitzer but you might feel more comfortable with a round nose) and 32 grains of Alliant RL7, no crimp. I've never shot the Barnes so can't help there.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i recently bought "blemished" 150 gr FN Sierra bullets cuz they were cheap. Not hunting,just target shooting so I went with the 150 gr FN over 30 grs imr 4895. Tried em in my 336C w/5d peep sight. This proved to be a accurate load and easy on the shoulder. Given the peep sight i wouldn't shoot at game much farther than 100 yds with this gun. Even tho this load is "reduced" it'll do the job at 100 yds if needed.....Mike
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

27 grains of RE-7, WLR primers in Federal cases behind almost ANY 150 grain bullet; from gas-checked cast to either Sierra or Speer jacketed.

31 grains of RE-7 with the 125grain Sierra HP using the same cases & primers. Death on coyotes! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

My scoped 336 shoots MOA groups with the 160gr hornady ftx bullets over exactly 30gr of H4895
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

My hunting load is 34 grains of W748 with the Barnes 150 grain TSX. VERY effective game bullet.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I shot a 30-30 alot I was quite partial to the Ranch Dog 311-165GC cast of air cooled WW's and run thru a .312" sizing die and lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel . Primed the case with a CCI200 primer and loaded 20-22 grains of XMP5744 .

Depending on the barrel length this load should clock anywhere from 1850-2000 FPS . Worked nicely on lever silhouette , paper and deer !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

The first Winchester 94 I had would shoot 1 1/4", 100 groups with a 125gr Sierra HP in front of H4895. Don't remember the exact load. It wasn't max but not that far off either. The second 94 I had wouldn't shoot that or any other load I tried.

Good Luck, LK
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Seaco 175gr. tapered bullet g.c in front of 21 gr. of 5744 for 1800----sized .311. I've shots thousands of of rounds with this load in a dozen 30-30's and it shoots as good as any jacketed bullet.

For silhouette rams I load the 215 gr. Lyman in front of a dose of 5744----wham!---those rams plop right over. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

this is for serious hunting and pretty warm but safe in my 336's......Remington brass/Rem 9 1/2 primer/ 33.5 AA2520 over a 170 Sierra...its a 1.25-1.5" grouper and pushes just a hair over 2200 out of my 20" barrel Sporting Carbine and 2250 out of the 24" 336A
:!: Start at least 15% under my load to start if your TSX is 170gr..work up at your own risk :!:
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

ving-thorr wrote:My scoped 336 shoots MOA groups with the 160gr hornady ftx bullets over exactly 30gr of H4895
I found good accuracy with the same bullet using 30 grains of 3031. Velocity was around 2200 fps and holding directly on at 25, 50, and 100 meters was good enough for 3.5" clay birds.

Walt
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Wow, lots of great info and great loads. Hopefully I can work on some of them tomorrow. FYI, for those that do not know about MY '66, it is a 26" barrel so velocities ought to stay near the top of the range. I don't have any Barnes' to work with, yet, but I do have some 150gr FP's to test with. Not sure of all the powders I have on hand though.

Once I get some loads worked up and tested, I will give a report on here.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Well I looked, and I don't have enough quantity of the powders mentioned to really work up a load. I was browsing through the reload manuals and noticed Varget REALLY seemed to be the winner in the speed dept. I have plenty of that. Does anyone have any good results using Varget?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No disrespect to the thread meant, but Green Box 170s are so cheap and shoot into a half inch at 50m in my 336 that I need look no farther....(have not really tried out the new 1951 94 I got from Pokey, yet) I've got enough stuff to load a thousand 30wcf, but just haven't needed to as of yet...maybe when I retire :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

None taken, but cheap seems to be a local term. Here in the CA condor zone, ALL ammo is expensive. Local gun shops seem to love high markups.
There is a new Dicks sporting goods store about 20 miles away, that is nearly finished, that I am hoping will carry reloading stuff and ammo.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here in the CA condor zone
The "lead thang" will happen sooner or later in Washington, too... :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I hope you're wrong, for your sakes. What has become VERY frustrating for me with this no lead thing (besides the cost) is even though three major makers are making non lead offerings, NONE of them will open worth a hoot below 2100fps.

I'm speaking of the NON levergun offerings. What I do not understand, is why they have to make the front portions of the bullets so darn thick. I think they're concerned with the petals peeling at ultra high impact velocities, like a 150gr bullet, in a 75yd shot from a 300Wm. But to that I say, so what? The main shank will blow through, and the petals will not peel off on impact, but rather inside doing a horrendous amount of damage in the process.

It becomes a major issue on caliber selection for a rifle, to make sure there is an ample selection of bullet brands and weights for that caliber. The ones that cause the non lead laws to happen actually HOPE we will become discouraged and quit hunting.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

handirifle wrote:Well I looked, and I don't have enough quantity of the powders mentioned to really work up a load. I was browsing through the reload manuals and noticed Varget REALLY seemed to be the winner in the speed dept. I have plenty of that. Does anyone have any good results using Varget?
Look at Hodgdon's LVR powder. They only have loads listed for the 150... but it outperforms (speed-wise) all the others.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Pick up the new Hodgdon reloading manual, sold as a magazine on newstands right now. Like griff said, the leverevolution stuff, and if i remember right, their new CFE223, both squeeze a little more juice out of the old 30-30 than varget.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Speed ain't everything and I'll gladly swap 100-200 fps for even a slight to modest gain in accuracy. I never pick a powder anymore because it will get me the most velocity.

LK
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Speed ain't everything and I'll gladly swap 100-200 fps for even a slight to modest gain in accuracy. I never pick a powder anymore because it will get me the most velocity.

LK
+1 on accuracy is king. My most accurate 30-30 load is a 311041 over 36gr of AA4350. Barley hits 2000fps but is by far the most accurate in MY rifle. Your mileage may vary.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

You guys are 100% correct and I agree accuracy rules. I made the comment kinda out of order, but mainly since it's what I have a lot of. I will try it first, but if I find it flings bullets all over, I will have to wait till funds allow something different.

With the 26" tube, I'm sure it will squeeze even a bit more than what's listed, but that is NOT number one priority for me either. I will make up loads with what I have, based on the suggestions, and compare them. Personally I HOPE the varget loads work, since then I don't have to buy more powder. Everyone here wants about $27-30 a pound for it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not to be a Sierra Alpha, but on a 30WCF why would .5 moa make a difference, unless it's a personal goal/best thang? :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

BlaineG wrote:Not to be a Sierra Alpha, but on a 30WCF why would .5 moa make a difference, unless it's a personal goal/best thang? :oops:
A difference of .5 MOA most likely wouldn't matter a hill of beans, to me. I was mainly meaning that if I was getting, say, 1.5 to 2" or better, regardless of powder, I'd be happy, VERY happy. That will be with the factory dovetail sights. I would eventually like to add a long range peep, but that comes when money is available.

Now if for some reason a faster load gave me 3" or larger groups and a slower one, gave 2" or less, I'd be inclined to go with the slower one. I would like to find THE load that the rifle likes best regardless of velocity, since I would like to make it a long range "target" (like clay birds, steel plates, etc) rifle, out to 300 or more yards, thus the peep sight.

Those ranges and small targets demand the best load I can come up with.

As for getting highest velocity, that would be nice since some day, I MAY try to hunt with it, and the Barnes TSX does have a cutoff velocity around 1400fps, so it would be nice to stretch the range or performance parameters a bit.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

handirifle wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Not to be a Sierra Alpha, but on a 30WCF why would .5 moa make a difference, unless it's a personal goal/best thang? :oops:
A difference of .5 MOA most likely wouldn't matter a hill of beans, to me. I was mainly meaning that if I was getting, say, 1.5 to 2" or better, regardless of powder, I'd be happy, VERY happy. That will be with the factory dovetail sights. I would eventually like to add a long range peep, but that comes when money is available.

Now if for some reason a faster load gave me 3" or larger groups and a slower one, gave 2" or less, I'd be inclined to go with the slower one. I would like to find THE load that the rifle likes best regardless of velocity, since I would like to make it a long range "target" (like clay birds, steel plates, etc) rifle, out to 300 or more yards, thus the peep sight.

Those ranges and small targets demand the best load I can come up with.

As for getting highest velocity, that would be nice since some day, I MAY try to hunt with it, and the Barnes TSX does have a cutoff velocity around 1400fps, so it would be nice to stretch the range or performance parameters a bit.
Our erstwhile formite Bestlever loaded 30wcf AI with 130gr spitzers, as a two shot, and was getting 2800fps....I cannot confirm that, but it's what he said. It was supposed to be a death ray for deer

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Handirifle, I have been burning 32 gr of Varget behind a 170 gr Sierrs SP in my 336 for a couple of years now, 2 moa (scoped) and no pressure signs. Varget is a very flexible powder for me, 223, 243, 30-30, 308,30-06. Good stuff!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

centershot wrote:Handirifle, I have been burning 32 gr of Varget behind a 170 gr Sierrs SP in my 336 for a couple of years now, 2 moa (scoped) and no pressure signs. Varget is a very flexible powder for me, 223, 243, 30-30, 308,30-06. Good stuff!
Yea, that was one reason I bought several pounds of it. Well I splurged today, went to a local shop (30 miles one way, that's local to me :( ) and got some Hornady bullets for my 375 Win project, and while I was there I picked up a pound of the Levereverlution powder, so I will have a few to try out soon. They didn't have any 30-30 TSX's so they will have to wait for next month's allowance :D .

Blaine
I try to use ready made lever bullets when I can, and hopefully, when I can try them out, the Barnes work well. I know my Marlin 1895GS loves the 300gr offerings. The sad thing about the typical Barnes bullets (not levergun models) have a min opening velocity of 2100fps, and that really limits the range.

I will report how the other bullets work, and hopefully in a couple weeks a report on the Barnes' as well.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hafta say, that yes, accuracy is king... but when you're testing different powders, looking for that "best" load, why not look for some zip also? I like accuracy as well as the next guy (that RE-7 load I posted is about about ¾-1 moa behind my cast 150 GC bullets in more than one of my rifles), but a bit flatter trajectory along with that is an even better bargain! I know a couple of guys that feel RE-15 is even better in their rifles... but that hasn't proven out in mine... If there's one axiom that can be counted on, "every rifle is an individual" is it.

I've been told that BL-C(2) is an even more accurate... although I'm not at all dissatisfied with my load, I certainly went out and bought a pound to do some testing with... (Hopefully it improves with age, as I ain't had any time in good weather for the last two years!!!) :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Can't argue with you on that one Griff. I'm not saying that zip is bad and from all I've heard about Varget it may indeed be the great powder. Never tried it myself. But when picking a powder I break out old magazines, the computer and as many other resources I can get my hands on and research where to start. I don't go to a loading manual and look at what gets me the best velocity.

When I started reloading my .22-250 H380 seemed to be the powder of choice. At the time almost all the resources I had listed 37 or 38 grs as max, somewhere in there anyway. I loaded up some rounds with 36, 36.5 and 37 IIRC and settled on the 36.5 because it got me nickle sized groups. Jump ahead some years and Hodgdons site is listing max on H380 in the 39- 40gr. neighborhood so being where I was at in life I decided to push the envelope. I never ever got accuracy anywhere near where I was at with my old load and the coyotes out to farther than I should be shooting have never liked my more modest loads either.

Just saying. If your fast loads don't seem to be doing it for you don't be afraid to back well off and start at or near the bottom. Critters most of the time won't care.

LK
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I fully understand what you guys are saying. I have long used H335 and BL-C2 for the 223, and the old standby of H4350 for the 308 and '06 loads. Some powders just work well in certain calibers. They may not be the fastest, or THE most accurate, but they do not compromise much in either department.

Varget has worked real well for my in my straight case cartridges as well. Gonna get some loading done today, but doubtful any shooting, at least not at the range. If I can figure out a medium to allow me to recover my 375 Win bullets, I might test them in the back yard.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Just as an FYI, the Barnes site shows some loads, but not all of the loads in their current book! If you subscribe to LoadData.com, you can get most of the information in most manuals.

Speaking of Barnes data, I note that their latest manual (Nr. 4) shows load density (% of fill) which is not reflected in the LoadData.com site.