Preparing to Run/Shoot in a "Primitive Biathlon" (pix added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Preparing to Run/Shoot in a "Primitive Biathlon" (pix added)

Post by Old No7 »

One of the best things I've yet to do this year, but one which is helping me meet a New Year's resolution (getting in better shape), is that I told my twin brother I'd run with him in the Dalton Gang's (Dalton NH) "Primitive Winter Biathlon" this February 18th.

So my wife and I have been working out 3X weekly since August (with weights, stretching and time spent on the cross-trainer and/or treadmill). And now that it's getting closer and I'm "in serious training" for this event, I'm up to running 5X per week (2 miles minimum, with sprints interspersed with walking) with boots on, plus the weight training and lots of lunges to strengthen the legs. Today we hiked ~2 miles on snowshoes, and I volunteered to "break trail". Lots of fun being out in the sunny 15-degree Maine woods!

Why all the fuss?!?!?!

Well, the primitive biathlon involves running about 1.5 miles on old-fashioned wood/rawhide snowshoes and shooting at 9 to 10 targets with a blackpowder rifle along the course. They deduct 5 minutes from your time for each target hit, so it makes sense to get your breathing & heart rate under control before you shoot (which is why I'm doing all the sprint/walk/rest intervals training on the workouts). My twin brother will shoot his Caywood smoothbore front-bead-only .60 caliber flinch-lock, dressed as a 1700's Frenchie. You can see him at a similar biathlon in VT a few years back at seconds #17 and #30-33 in the video link posted below. He doesn't wear that old Badger hat anymore, as he said it's too hot... (Yeah, and that's not all! :wink: )

While it's not required, "period dress" is encouraged. Since I'm not into the French & Indian War period and I don't have all the gear to look like a real Mountain Man, as shown in seconds #35 or #45 in that link -- although one of those outfits would be really cool!!! -- guess I'll have to do something just a little different...

First, here's that link to the Smuggler's Notch Primitive Biathlon video.

...So I'll go as a Civil War veteran -- a Union Master Sergeant, with infantry chevrons sewn on a medium blue shirt, wearing a navy blue kepi (with a crossed-rifles infantry badge) a navy blue Civil War wool vest (with Eagle buttons, a replica from ebay), blue jeans, and a black cloth possibles bag (with a brass "US" buckle on it). I'll carry my T/C .45 caliber Cherokee because it's all I have, but it's also period correct as a light percussion hunting rifle. It is light to carry, but it has a nice set trigger, and if I rest my left hand under the trigger guard, with the elbow in tight to my chest, the muzzle holds steady. I found a used pair of "small adult" rawhide snowshoes, as they're a little lighter to run in (and it is legal to do so within the rules) and I may even carry my late father's authentic Civil War cavalry sword too!!! Will have to try running with it though, to see how much it bangs around on the sword belt...

While not truly "primitive", the War Between the States was 150 years ago and it does qualify as a unique "period" from our history. Plus, it's more in line with my personal interests, as I already have the Uberti/S&W Schofield cavalry revolver, and I hope to get a replica .45-70 Trapdoor Carbine soon too! And while I also have a nice 1861 Navy Colt (3rd Generation, Signature Series), that may be too much weight to carry and not get to shoot it. (Not that I'll be swinging that old cavalry sword around any, :shock: but it's too cool not to carry it!) Plus, I'd had some of the Civil War gear anyhow.

I will post some pictures of us after the event, and tell you how it all went.

Best thing is, I am now in better shape at 50+ than since I was 25, and I'm almost down to the weight I was when we got married. And my bride -- she's lost weight and is looking good too! :wink: So all of this exercise has been good for us -- regardless of how the biathlon turns out. It's great to have a mid-winter reason to get in shape. And as a recent series of posts proved, the weight-training can be great for your health and I think it's helping me to hold & shoot better too!

So...

Has anyone ever run in an event like this?

Any pointers to add?

I've heard about the trick to pre-load powder charges in paper tubes, so I don't have to mess with a flask and measure, and my patched round balls with be in a ballboard, and my T/C's muzzle is coned for easy starting with a thumb. I'll be OK, as long as I don't "dry ball" it, like I did on the range last week... :?

I am really curious if any of the shooters here have ever done such a thing.......

(Or am I the only one?!)

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Preparing to Run & Shoot in a "Primitive Biathlon" !

Post by Rusty »

Down here we call that a woods walk with the emphasis on WALK.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sounds like fun to me.

I'd like to see one in 1860's, 1880's or early 1900's style.

Also fun, shooting modern plate shoots with a single action. Would like to try a 2 or 3 gun with older style gear, tho I'm not really a fan of shotguns for much of anything. 2 gun would be fine with me. Cowboy shoots are fun, but not much for action, and tend more towards staged scenarios, light loads, and the clothes than practical shooting with old guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Why are you using a ballboard with paper cartridges? Roll 'em together. Lots of instructions for both French & English patterns on the 'net.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a cool thing to do with your brother. Never heard of it before, but sounds like a good reason to get in shape.
Old Law Dawg
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Best of luck!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

THAT sounds cool.

It would be interesting to have ones for every quarter-century or so.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good luck for sure! Can't wait to hear how you do!!! :D
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

That sounds like great fun, what a great idea!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That sounds like a great all around thing to do, getting fit, having fun and burning powder!

Good luck and don't worry about dry balling a muzzle loader, there are two kinds of black powder shooters, those that have and those that are going to! :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Sounds great, kind of like the Seneca runs years ago. Paper cartridges are easy to make so is a cartridge box.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

Never tried it, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Orienteering is fun, but that's more a map reading challenge.

Suggestion: load your rifle while you're catching your breath. That'll make sure you don't dump a powder charge onto a hot ember.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Sounds like a blast! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sure sounds like a good time.My NMLRA club in Tennessee (back in the mid 1960's) used to have a Seneca Run once in a while. Targets were for rifle, pistol, and hawk, they were alot of fun. Enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Looks like fun, where do they have these shoots at. I have a smooth bore flint lock would be fun to use in these Is there an organization I could contact to get information.

Your Servant
Rafe
Death Before Dishonor
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rafe if you want to get into black powder shooting, type in NMLRA on google.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sounds fun. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool. 8)
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Me again.

I'll wait until after the Biathlon to show you guys my rifle and the Civil War outfit that I'll be wearing...

...but for now, here's a picture of my twin brother at a Winter Biathlon in Vermont last weekend (Smuggler's Notch), where he came in 4th in the smoothbore competition.
My Twin - VT Winter Biathlon.jpg
That hat is a major reason why I'll be wearing a Union Kepi! Or, maybe was it the red sash?!?! :wink:

One thing's for certain though -- my twin brother's muzzle is A LOT closer to the targets than mine will be!!!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH