holster rig opinions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

holster rig opinions

Post by rossim92 »

would like to get a cowboy rig for my .357 taylor smokewagon. What are some opinions as to the button strap vs. hammer thong. I like the looks of the thong. but seems like the strap is more practical as far as keeping the revolver in the holster.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: holster rig opinions

Post by J Miller »

I prefer the strap to the thong by a mile. I've been carrying revolvers for almost 40 years and I've had much less trouble with the strap than the thong. Easier to pop loose in a hury and much more secure.

Check out the thread RangeRider 7 posted about his new holster. That is the design I prefer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just the opinion of an old, pistol-packin' leather man..: Any holster for a single action revolver that requires either a thong or a "safety strap" to retain the gun is made for show, and not for serious carry... Don't let 1965 Hollywood visuals choose your holster for you...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Tom Threepersons was a respected lawman, and a fine pistol shot, but he didn't know the first thing about practical holster design.. The rig attributed to him and "Tio" Sam Myers works well for automobile carry, and that is about the only place that it shines.. It presents a single-action gun at the wrong angle for optimum use.. It requires a strap or thong to retain the gun when afoot or horseback. It exposes more gun than necessary to the elements...

I know that Brian Pearce has a love affair with that holter style, but can't help wondering if it grows out of a fierce stubborn streak... He's the only one I know who likes 'em that much...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is what I favor - has a thong but you don't really need it unless you're ridding and worry about going a-over-teakettle. :)

That one is an El Paso Saddlery but there many other makers out there.

I also like this one (same as my avatar) which is actually an inexpensive Hunter and it has a flat thong...

Got that from Midway USA.

Its not a snug fit - the revolver is rather loose in it but again, unless you fall down, it's fine sans retention strap.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Personally I don't care for straps on my holsters. I use thongs on some for piece of mind. Riding horses and bouncing around alot I like something on there. The holster should fit the piece close enough that for 95% of the time nothing else is needed. Here's one I built and it's molded to the piece it will carry. A Colt SAA. It doesn't have a thong/strap and I don't worry it's going to come out unless I'm hung up by my heels. About the time I'm going to need fast access it's going to be strapped down and now I've got a problem.
Old Law Dawg
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

When you straddle your old saddle use a crossdraw or shoulder holster with a thong. If roping is involved leave your rifle and handgun home. Just carry a knife in case.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

These holsters have a thong... but I find them extraneous, and several women I've know have said they're uncomfortable....

The holster in the foreground has no thong, by the X-draw in the background does... neither is used, and they've been butt down on a couple of occasions with a hard "jar" as I came to stop. Neither pistol has left their appointed place. The front holster is 22 years old, the X-draw about 10.
Strong-side holster and belt are from JC Stewart of Show Low, AZ; along with the chaps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:These holsters have a thong... but I find them extraneous, and several women I've know have said they're uncomfortable....
:shock: :D
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chuck 100 yd ( Chuck Leininger ) made this one. The gun is secure and well covered. Now, I don't ride horses. :)

Didn't take it to Las Vegas for Halloween.

Here is the other one he made.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just goes to show ya, that some of the oldest ideas are still the best.. the preceding displays are just what the Dr ordered...
Regards

Buck

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Was wondering Buck what you did prefer. These were his first. He has made others since.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

only reasonable excuse for a hammer thong i"ve heard is,
riding through heavy brush and having a limb brush back
the hammer. :?
never had it happen, don't have thongs/straps on my holsters. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

thanks for the opinions. i see the differences run about 50/50 between thong vs. strap, and some with nothing.Guess it's just a matter of preference.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Personally, I prefer a strap. This holster is tight enough that it isn't needed. I can, slip the strap off and tuck it back out of the way if I want, but I rarely do it. Having dropped one handgun and had to go back for it, I also have lanyards on most of my handguns.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad