Thoughts on restoring a Winchester Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kbayless3
Levergunner

Thoughts on restoring a Winchester Model 71

Post by kbayless3 »

Hello All…I am new to the forum as I have just recently acquired a Winchester Model 71. My hope is to learn all I can about this Model 71. This gun has been in my wife’s family for many years . It had not seen the light of day in over 35 years when I discovered It in the basement of my Mother in laws home. I hope to be a good steward of this rifle and wonder if I should have it restored (the visual condition is fair in my opinion) no rust but it’s showing a good deal of ware on the stock .
One other note …I have not been able to locate any .348 ammo locally, any thoughts on where to obtain a box or two? How much should I expect to pay for 20 rounds?

Best,

Kevin
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thoughts on restoring a Winchester Model 71

Post by jdad »

The rifle has "character". Keep it original and just go to Lowe's or Home Depot, buy some Howard's Feed N Wax,
put a couple of coats on the wood, and go shoot it.

Unfortunately, the ammo ain't cheap. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1 ... ionid=9861

Welcome to the forum.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Sir,

With regards to fine piece of family history, I would clean it and shoot it--nothing more. If it was a basket case with missing parts or broken stocks it would be a different story.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

if you have read some here you will realize that
refinish/restore of old rifles is not the way to go,
UNLESS they are so far gone as to be of no value
otherwise.

also pics are highly encouraged, [ understatement ].

welcome home. :wink:

[ have you ever considered reloading?. :D ]
Last edited by pokey on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Ditto ,Welcome !! You are going to have some Drooling on here. Don't know how much You are into Guns but unless it is a rag tag piece of Junk, clean it up and enjoy it. And if You aren't much into Guns and You hang around here You soon will be. As jdad said, ammo aint cheap.
Again ,Welcome and as a side note "PICTURES R REQUIRED". Hang on , some 71 fans will be along. You will probably even have offers to send the Gun to Them. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Mich hunter wrote:Sir,

With regards to fine piece of family history, I would clean it and shoot it--nothing more. If it was a basket case with missing parts or broken stocks it would be a different story.
+1 and welcome, you will enjoy it here :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Borregos wrote:
Mich hunter wrote:Sir,

+1 and welcome, you will enjoy it here :D :D
+2! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kevin,

I'm in agreement with the above posters. Clean it, replace any parts that must be replaced, and shoot it. Other than that, leave it alone.
The rifle not only has history, it has family history. But most of all it has character that only age and use can develop.

If you want a "new looking" Mdl 71, Winchester has made some recently and although expensive, they are pretty and good shooters.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I have not been able to locate any .348 ammo locally, any thoughts on where to obtain a box or two?]

All I want for Christmas, is some three-forty-eight's ! . ;) . :mrgreen:

Welcome home, Kevin ! :)

kbayless3
Levergunner

Post by kbayless3 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advise. I will work on getting some pictures.This is such a great find and I'm looking forward to learning all I can about the Model 71. I have so many questions but would like to do some reading first. Any good websites or sources for a complete history of the Model 71 so I can get started? I would be interested in learning what the serial number (11345) might be able to tell me...prehaps I can learn the year it was manufactured?

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Best,

Kevin
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum! You're joining our campfire with a fine rifle in hand...a family Winchester 71! I agree with all that has been said above...use Howard's on the wood, clean the bore, rub down the metal with oil, shoot it, and keep it in your family for the next generation just as it is.

If you still need .348 ammo, I have 2-4 extra new boxes of recent (silver box) Winchester .348 ammo I'll sell for $50 a box, plus shipping, if that will help you out. Just email or PM me if you want it.

Now, take a front and center seat around the campfire 71 owner!

Victor
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome.

Great find. Yes, follow the advice above. "Used, but not abused" is probably more desireable in any antique than "refinished"! And has greater resale potential.

As for the DOM: 1937. There's some controversy with manufacturing dates, but that's in the ballpark.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For reading: Look for Jim Taylor's article titled The 71 Winchester.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

My Model 71 is # 40XX, long tang deluxe. It too was mistreated in that it had a side mounted scope my dad put on when he acquired it in 1945 from a friend who bought it new in 1936. I had those mounting holes filled, and the gun re-blued when I inherited it in 1962, big mistake.
Truth is, your gun has likely had only a few rounds fired through it, and would be in excellent mechanical shape. Clean that baby up good, and be glad you own it. One things for sure, a 200 grain Silver Tip will tip over an elk with no strain at all. I've got 38 boxes of factory ammo for 5 Model 71's I own, some that I paid only 19.00 a box for. Look around, you may find a good deal. I got some here a couple years ago for 35 a box.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Here is my 1937 Standard....I prefer the long tang to my 1950s short tangs.......

WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Welcome to the fire! If you plan to do any shooting, you'll be way ahead to reload the .348. Are you a reloader?
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Kevin,
Welcome to the forum.Coffee and company are really good here.Enjoy !!!
As other posters have said,replace any items that are needed,clean it up and enjoy a real piece of history.You have a family treasure and a unique piece of rifle history. Based on your serial number your rifle was made in 1937. I am a lover of the M-71.I think it was (is) the best levergun ever made.Check the article by Redcoat on the forum,very informative.
Ron
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum. It's the greatest one on the net.

I agree with everyone else. Don't do anything to that 71 other than give it a good cleaning, shoot it and treasure it.

PS - Can't wait for pics.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Howdy....and welcome...
if its just standard well earned handling marks ..leave it alone...
if it has extensive wear with no finish remaining on the wood.....or the metal
I would restore it...
but it will be easier to answer when you get the pics....
71s are not cheap....and neither is the ammo....
time to start reloading!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mod71Alaska. Now that's why this forum is special.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the best forum on the net. You have a valuable family firearm that is lusted for by many a rifleman.
By the way, what part of Michigan are you in? Many years ago I knew a Bayless family in Alma.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[looking forward to learning all I can about the Model 71. I have so many questions but would like to do some reading first.]

AFAIK:

There were two models, Standard (no checkering/swivels) and Deluxe (checkered, factory swivels)

There were two bbl lkengths, 20" & 24"

There were two distonct manufacturing variations - The earlier long tang/short stock comb; and the later short tang/long stock comb.

A VERY nice factory option was the bolt machined for, and a Winchester bolt peep sight installed (other - side mounted - peep sights, like Lyman, were also optional)

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Pete44ru wrote:[looking forward to learning all I can about the Model 71. I have so many questions but would like to do some reading first.]

AFAIK:

There were two models, Standard (no checkering/swivels) and Deluxe (checkered, factory swivels)

There were two bbl lkengths, 20" & 24"

There were two distonct manufacturing variations - The earlier long tang/short stock comb; and the later short tang/long stock comb.

A VERY nice factory option was the bolt machined for, and a Winchester bolt peep sight installed (other - side mounted - peep sights, like Lyman, were also optional)

Nicely summarized, Pete!

Winchester Model 71s rifles L to R: 1936 long tang Deluxe with a bolt peep sight; prewar short tang Standard with a bolt peep sight, cross hatch hammer pattern (see next pic), and long stock comb (the most uncommon of the 71 rifle configurations); short tang Deluxe with Lyman 56 receiver sight.

Also note the cross-hatch pattern on long tang, prewar hammer and serration pattern on the post-war:

Prewar short tang Model 71 with original open rear sight:

24" barrel with original double-slant sight hood:
Last edited by mod71alaska on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Them 71's sure are purdy.
Old Law Dawg
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Just a quick note on the long/short tang varieties. The earlier, long-tang variety came with a nicely hand-knurled hammer. The later, short-tang variety came with a serrated hammer, reducing the need for handwork. There was a transition period when the short-tang still carried the much nicer knurled hammer, no doubt using up old parts at the factory. I have one, a 1941-vintage short-tang with the knurled hammer. I have seen many others in the same serial range (20xxx) with the same configuration.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Welcome to the fire, and to the 71 clan. Shoot it and enjoy. Here, you will likely find the answer to any question you can dream up about the 71s.
Chad
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The 71 .348 WCF is pure "Americanna" Clean it up, take it exploring to Alaska and drop a Kodiak bear with it. That's what the last of the great big winchester levers was born to do. 8)
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

tman wrote:The 71 .348 WCF is pure "Americanna" Clean it up, take it exploring to Alaska and drop a Kodiak bear with it. That's what the last of the great big winchester levers was born to do. 8)
You are right on, tman! Most of the old Alaska bear guides used a 71, too!
kbayless3
Levergunner

Post by kbayless3 »

OK…I’ve had a chance to do some reading and feel that I have a bit more knowledge on my 71. Jim Taylors article was a good read thank you Griff.

To Jerry B …I am in southeast Michigan (Macomb Twp.) No family members outside of the Detroit area.

To Kevin in N H and Mod 71Alaska Wow…now that’s what I’m talking about. Those are some great looking guns.

Mod 71Alaska I would very much like to thank you for the kind offer. I found a box of 20, 200 grain silver tips (the only one he had). Can I keep you in mind down the road when I have some extra cash?. Production for this round seems very and I was told it’s unlikely Winchester will do a run in 2012.

Ok so here’s the skinny…I have taken my Model 71 to Jerry’s Gun Shop in Rochester just to ensure that all parts are in good working order and to give it a good cleaning.
Nothing more…I have taken everyone’s advise(thank you again to all that offered thoughts on this topic).As soon as it comes back I will post some pictures. In the mean time I will continue reading and learning. Seems like you all are a great group of folks I hope that at some point I might be able to contribute a helpful thought or two.

Best,
Kevin
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

kbayless3 wrote:OK…I’ve had a chance to do some reading and feel that I have a bit more knowledge on my 71. Jim Taylors article was a good read thank you Griff.

....Mod 71Alaska I would very much like to thank you for the kind offer. I found a box of 20, 200 grain silver tips (the only one he had). Can I keep you in mind down the road when I have some extra cash?. Production for this round seems very and I was told it’s unlikely Winchester will do a run in 2012....

Best,
Kevin
Drop me a PM anytime. If I have them available they are yours at the same price. Good shooting!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

You can get some decent ammo (factory equal) at the Hunting Shack for around $35.00 plus shipping. I buy ammo from them and it's pretty good stuff. Here's their link http://store.thehuntingshack.com/348winchester.aspx

Rifle Magazine has done a couple articles on the Model 71. An article done by Gil Sengel a decade or so ago was a very good article. Dave Scovill also did a fair write up in the Rifle's Legacy of Leverguns second to the last edition. John Barsness recently did a M71 article that wasn't fit for toilet paper, so I suggest you pass on that. Finding much to read about the M71 is a task in itself. Here's the link to Rifle Magazine http://store.thehuntingshack.com/348winchester.aspx . Give them a call and they will help you locate the two magazine articles recommended above in their back issues department.

The Winchester Model 71 is a hunting rifle designed to be a hunting rifle by folks who hunted and knew rifles. I don't think there are many rifles, in all the years people have been making rifles, that has been tailored to the hunter like the Model 71. It is sturdy and strong, yet balanced and easy to move. The stock is configured to jump to the shoulder with the sights aligned like a fine shotgun, and stay on the shoulder with its slightly curved and checkered butt plate. The pistol grip stock is made for fill the hand and the lever to handle a man's hand with or without a glove. The 348 Winchester cartridge is made to slide into the chamber without fuss and extract without resistance, and move a bullet of sufficient weight and swat to settle any dispute a wounded bruin may be bringing to you. It is the most perfect, and unmatched, combination of rifle and cartridge that the firearm's industry has ever built and has yet to be exceeded. Take care of that gun and hunt with it. It is more than a rifle- it is a hunting rifle - from an era long before quads and camo. When men actually hunted and hunting was required to be a man.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Winchester 71?

Thats just a weird 'ol obsolete wanna be cowboy gun. I'll send ya a Stevens 200 30-06 for it in exchange, with a scope already mounted -- then you'll have Somethin!

because i feel bad for you, i'll even cover the shipping and throw in a couple of boxes of Remington '06 soft points for ya -- can't beat a deal like that ! :lol:

(tongue in cheek fella ! -- i look forward to the pics of your rifle ! :) ) --- also , this board is pretty cool, i am a member of a few others ranging the gamut of all my hobbies ---- this board is the only one i am seemingly addicted to --- when i signed up, i also had a single family heirloom firearm, a Win 94 handed down from my late Dad --- i am now a certified levergun maniac with a full safe, reloading press and everything else being a "Lever Maniac" implies ---
-- its a fun place to learn about cool guns and b-s around ! :D
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Idiot wrote:You can get some decent ammo (factory equal) at the Hunting Shack for around $35.00 plus shipping. I buy ammo from them and it's pretty good stuff. Here's their link http://store.thehuntingshack.com/348winchester.aspx

Rifle Magazine has done a couple articles on the Model 71. An article done by Gil Sengel a decade or so ago was a very good article. Dave Scovill also did a fair write up in the Rifle's Legacy of Leverguns second to the last edition. John Barsness recently did a M71 article that wasn't fit for toilet paper, so I suggest you pass on that. Finding much to read about the M71 is a task in itself. Here's the link to Rifle Magazine http://store.thehuntingshack.com/348winchester.aspx . Give them a call and they will help you locate the two magazine articles recommended above in their back issues department.

The Winchester Model 71 is a hunting rifle designed to be a hunting rifle by folks who hunted and knew rifles. I don't think there are many rifles, in all the years people have been making rifles, that has been tailored to the hunter like the Model 71. It is sturdy and strong, yet balanced and easy to move. The stock is configured to jump to the shoulder with the sights aligned like a fine shotgun, and stay on the shoulder with its slightly curved and checkered butt plate. The pistol grip stock is made for fill the hand and the lever to handle a man's hand with or without a glove. The 348 Winchester cartridge is made to slide into the chamber without fuss and extract without resistance, and move a bullet of sufficient weight and swat to settle any dispute a wounded bruin may be bringing to you. It is the most perfect, and unmatched, combination of rifle and cartridge that the firearm's industry has ever built and has yet to be exceeded. Take care of that gun and hunt with it. It is more than a rifle- it is a hunting rifle - from an era long before quads and camo. When men actually hunted and hunting was required to be a man.
+1 8)