Newbie question: Relining

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Newbie question: Relining

Post by FatJackDurham »

Recently I was agonizing over whether my first lever gun should be a Steven's Favorite .22 or a Rossi 92 .357. The Rossi won on the bore. The Steven's bore was ugly.

I was reading the thread here about the Steven's Favorite, and they were talking about relining the barrel. I wondered what that was, how much it costs, and if it could even be done for a .22. I also saw that you could get a replacement barrel instead.

So, what is relining? Is that like boring out an engine cylinder and sliding a liner in the whole length of the barrel? Is that practical for an old .22?

The seller was asking $400, which I thought was high for the condition of the gun. However, I miss my old Hopkins & Allen rolling block, and the lines of the Steven's were nice. It seems if I was going to buy a gun for that much for a .22, spending the bread to fix the barrel was impractical. Thoughts?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Newbie question: Relining

Post by jdad »

A liner will cost about $200-$250 installed, with shipping.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Newbie question: Relining

Post by kimwcook »

Relining is just like putting in a dry cylinder in an engine.
Old Law Dawg