getting a remington 1148

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

getting a remington 1148

Post by iceman »

I am in the process of getting a Remington 1148 12 ga 28" plain modified choke shotgun. The pics look very good and only $200 so what the heck. This seems to almost as bad as leveritise.(this year I picked up a model 11 in 16ga and an Auto 5 mag in 12 ga) I'm probably going to clean up the wood etc for a winter project and then resell. My nephew is going to take his hunting /firearms course soon so it may make a good starter for him,if I find it works ok etc. Anyone have experience with these?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: getting a remington 1148

Post by Pitchy »

Never had one but looks like a nice shotgun, what are ya going to use it for?
Are ya going to shorten it for a HD gun?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Probably just for a walking around shotgun. If my nephew wants it probably small game maybe ducks (modified choke barrel) or slugs for deer. His area is shotgun only for deer.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

It's a long recoil type of action like the Browning A5 or Remington model 11 but with some lighter, stamped parts.

Should be an overall lighter gun than the A5 or 11. It's a gun I might be interested in and think you got a good deal. It's supposed to shoot all loads as is.

Made for about 19 years and that's a good sign. Believe it is the model that preceded the very famous, gas operated, model 1100--which I have.

I am curious if the 1148 is as durable as the proven A5 and model 11. I would think so.

Don
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I have a nice Sportsman 48 in 20 gauge, the Sportsman only holds two in the magazine so doesn't need a plug, bought 15 years ago for $135. I'm sure I've run at least 1000-1200 shells through it and it's still feels as tight as when I bought it. They may have been redesigned to streamline manufacturing and cut costs, but Remington seems to have built in some durability.

I've been lucky a couple times on finds, picked up a suicide safety A-5 in 16 ga for $125 8 years ago, it's value is hurt by the adjustable choke, but not it's usefulness.

The only thing you can really say against the long recoil guns is that they are not the best for folks that are recoil sensitive. My two brothers and I go to a clay bird shoot on New Years Day every year, $50 for brunch and all the birds you can shoot between 0900-1700, we swap guns around and both of them have Browning gas 20's. Huge difference in felt recoil between them and the old gun. We typically shoot 500 shells, mostly 12 ga., that day so I don't think we are especially sensitive, but whoever is shooting my 48 will have something to say about it.

Post by iceman »

getitdone1: That is the basic history I have found so far also. The biggest change being a triger group /shell lifter similar to what is being used now in their current pump/semis, and a curved receiver instead of the humpback style.I plan to give it a try with a mixed mag of light to heavy loads and see how it goes. If all else fails I don't think I can possibly loose any money if I resell it. Got to do something up here in the winter. I send some before and after pics if I decide to refinish it. (which I probably will do).
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Only gun my dad ever owned to my knowledge was a 11-48 Sportsman, dad said I dropped it and broke my toe when I was 3, I'm 59 now and don't remember that. Do remember many many days growing up with that shotgun chasing rabbit and quail. Dads been gone since January of '95 but that shotgun is in my safe, I'll pass it along someday.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

it happened to be my first auto;oading shotgun. got it for Christmas in 1968. Still have it, always works fine. :D