218 Bee Colt SAA to go with that Win 65!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

218 Bee Colt SAA to go with that Win 65!

Post by rangerider7 »

I thought y'all might want to see this one.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail ... ing=cid=77
"That'll Be The Day"
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I would definately be wary of shooting a 1st gen black powder Colt chambered for that cartridge. The pressures generated by that the 218 Bee could destroy that gun in short order..
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Today's prices, that SAA is worth it just for parts.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Concerning Gun Smith's comment, wouldn't the original cylinder have had to have been replaced and chambered for 218 Bee and thus likely be of a modern steel able to handle the pressures? Is the concern one of back-thrust against the frame? I don't understand ... obviously.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yes, the .218 Bee operates in the 38,000CUP pressures, and if the .32-20 is any indication the 1st gen Colts were good up to about 16,000CUP. Frame stretch is a problem even in new Colts, which is why you'll see all kinds of admonishments against using hot loads in these revolvers. These little firebreatherin' cartridges can spit a mouthful of hot gases out that cylinder gap, flame cutting the top strap. Both my .45Colt 3rd Gen and my .357 2nd Gen guns all exhibit some flame cutting in the underside of the topstrap. Not something I'd want to see in a gun of such early vintage.

If however, the conversion had been done on a 2nd Gen or later production, or even a copy originally chambered in .357 Magnum, I'd think it would be a fun little sidearm.

Mike, since the frame been "buggered" up with the addition of the adjustable rear sight and the rampant "Colt" has been ground off, I ain't sure it'd be worth much as a parts gun, IMO.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

:wink: GARY REEDER OF FLAGSTAF AZ. WILL CHAMBER A RUGER IN 218 FOR YOU... AND NO WORRIES OVER PRESSURE... AND IT IS A GREAT CHAMBERING.... PACO :)
PACO/OWNER