Bullets for the .348 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Bullets for the .348 WCF

Post by Old Shatterhand »

On tuesday I paid the deposit for a Winchester Mod 71 standard rifle, 1947 vintage. The last evenings I have browsed this forum for information about good loads for it to use on moose. There ws a lot of good reading about the cartridge! Most forists seem to prefer heavy bullets as the Barnes Original or the Hawk, both 250 grs, and obviously that would be a safe and good choice. However, there are some other heavy bullets out there, as the Kodiak 250 grs and the Hawk 270 grs. Then there are some cast alternatives too.

Your comments are welcome - I am especially interested about experience of the Hawk 270 grs.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Bullets for the .348 WCF

Post by Idiot »

A 250 grain load at 2,300 fps is as near perfect a load as one could want for heavy non-dangerous game. This load's balance of bullet weight and velocity will likely produce the outstanding results. From there, as you go up in weight you will come down in velocity. And because the M71's overall cartridge length cannot be exceeded, you will give up some powder space. Anyway, that's my two cents - given without ever loading the 270 grain Hawk Bullet.

For what it's worth, if I ever chase a bull elk again, I'll likely load my M71 with either a Hawk or Barnes 250 grain bullet or a Barnes 220 X-Bullet. With either one I will be completely confident that the cartridge will get the job done.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

OS, I have been loading the hornady 200 gr for elk and deer, shoots thru deer any direction on elk I have gotten 30+" penetration and on broadside lung shots it goes thru&thru. My 2 loads are 53 gr IMR4895 for 2450 fps and 62 gr AA4350 for 2520 fps out of a B71 24" bbl. Iam still working up a load with RE 17. I also have loaded a Beartooth 245 gr cast with 55 gr AA4350. RE 17 is not temp sensitive you can use IMR4350 load data to work up a load it is the same burn rate with more velocity. danny
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for your inputs! Having read your postings, I think I will go with the Barnes 250 grs for moose, as they are heavy and penetrate well. However, Big Sky's experience of Hornady's 200-grainer are really impressing, and I will get some boxes of it to evaluate. Indeed they would be fine for roe deer and smaller pigs.

4350 is a fine powder. Some years ago I got a canister from a friend, and managed to get really accurate loads with a 8mm Mauser. American powders are hard to get here, but usually Norma 203-B is a good substitute.

Pete
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We've had the privilege of helping Grizzly Cartridge work up their load with the 250 gr Kodiak bullet. Red deer, RM elk, R elk, whitetail deer, black bear, water buffalo and watusi were shot with it at ranges up to 130 yards. The bullets always expanded (based on exit hole exam and recovered bullets) to around the .600's, recovered bullets retained 88% weight on average and they retained their mushroom shape without overlapping, seperating or deforming. Penetration was very good with even 25 in on a water buffalo at 57 yards. I cannot speak of other bullets except to say that they are somewhat easier to get. However, I can endorse the 250 gr Kodiak for all around use. Of note, Bill Huber at Swift just came out with a Swift A-Frame for the 348 that is proving to be excellent in limited field testing so far. Best of luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

86er wrote:Of note, Bill Huber at Swift just came out with a Swift A-Frame for the 348 that is proving to be excellent in limited field testing so far. Best of luck!
OMG, I thought I'd never see an A-frame in .348.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I shot a number of moose in Alaska with the Winchester factory 200 grain Silvertip ammo. All of them were dead before God got the news. Just saying.....
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Pete - Norma N204 works nearly as IMR 4350 and you can working up loads with the IMR 4350 loading data.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks to all!

Yesterday I ordered 50 Barnes 250 grs and 50 WW cases - the dealer didn't have more in stock, but that will be a beginning. I'll do some test shooting, and if the bullets proof to be good, I'll go on with them. Otherwise, I will try to get the Kodiaks - 86er's testing seems to promise a bit.

BTW - factory ammo would be almost impossible to get here. Supposedly there can be less than 100 M71:s here, although we are nearly a half million hunters and shootists in the country. Leverguns are scarce in the swedish forests.

Pete
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My 1936 version really likes a 250gr Barnes and 58grs of AA3100. Not real fast, about 2150fps if I remember right, but accuracy is fantastic. I've never had an elk withstand it.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Old Shatterhand wrote:Thanks to all!

Yesterday I ordered 50 Barnes 250 grs and 50 WW cases - the dealer didn't have more in stock, but that will be a beginning. I'll do some test shooting, and if the bullets proof to be good, I'll go on with them. Otherwise, I will try to get the Kodiaks - 86er's testing seems to promise a bit.

BTW - factory ammo would be almost impossible to get here. Supposedly there can be less than 100 M71:s here, although we are nearly a half million hunters and shootists in the country. Leverguns are scarce in the swedish forests.

Pete
I wonder what the shipping would be to Sweden?

http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... =2&t=38233
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

pharmseller wrote:I wonder what the shipping would be to Sweden?

http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... =2&t=38233
Thanks for your offer! Shipping would be expensive indeed, and to that would be added costs for permits for export and imports, as well as custom tarifs and VAT. Supposedly it will at the very end cost as much as I gave for the rifle. I must politely say "no thanks".

Pete
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

I see there's a write up on the.348 in Decembers 2011 issue of Handloader.FYI.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

victor wrote:I see there's a write up on the.348 in Decembers 2011 issue of Handloader.FYI.
Thanks! A digital subscription with Handloader, Rifle and Successful Hunter costs about $18, and can be paid by Visa. I will do it!

Pete
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Grizzly Adams wrote:I shot a number of moose in Alaska with the Winchester factory 200 grain Silvertip ammo. All of them were dead before God got the news. Just saying.....
The .348WCF was designed around the 200gr. bullet for Alaska including big bears. I guess they evolved along way since 1936 :shock:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

OS what are the rules about shipping empty brass & bullets to Sweden, special permits & licenses ? danny
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

BigSky56 wrote:OS what are the rules about shipping empty brass & bullets to Sweden, special permits & licenses ? danny
There are not any problems to get that stuff into Sweden - I can import a truckload without restrictions. The problem is to get it out of the US. A exportation licence is required, and costs $250. Confer http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/inor.html ! However, there are some firms, who have general exportation permits, where some brass and bullets can be purchased.

Pete
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:OS what are the rules about shipping empty brass & bullets to Sweden, special permits & licenses ? danny
There are not any problems to get that stuff into Sweden - I can import a truckload without restrictions. The problem is to get it out of the US. A exportation licence is required, and costs $250. Confer http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/inor.html ! However, there are some firms, who have general exportation permits, where some brass and bullets can be purchased.

Pete
I ship product to Australia all the time, I have no permit, or exportation licence, not sure if it would be different to Sweden, I have also shipped to Ireland, Canada, and Germany...Just sayin
Terry
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

victor wrote:I see there's a write up on the.348 in Decembers 2011 issue of Handloader.FYI.
Unfortunatley is wasn't worth the time it took to read. Barsness wrote it and I thought it would be good, but it was nothing but filler - he acquired a 348 and gives a little 348 history and then says he'll take it hunting ( that's it - you can send me $4.99 and be thankful I just saved you 30 minutes). Now we'll have to wait another decade before another 348 Winchester article is published.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Idiot wrote:
Unfortunatley is wasn't worth the time it took to read. Barsness wrote it and I thought it would be good, but it was nothing but filler - he acquired a 348 and gives a little 348 history and then says he'll take it hunting ( that's it - you can send me $4.99 and be thankful I just saved you 30 minutes). Now we'll have to wait another decade before another 348 Winchester article is published.
So true!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Idiot wrote:
I too was excited to see that article in there until I read it. Apparently, since gun writers of old didn't like the .348 for whatever reason, Barsness has decided to stick to that line of thinking. It's almost as if he's dreading the fact that he has to take it on a hunt.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
bcboy
Levergunner

Post by bcboy »

Old Shatterhand wrote:

Pete

Try Canada. I have had no problems ordering 348 bullets and brass in canada,, this sat i went to a gun show 45$ for 200 gr hornadys and there was lots of new Win brass..Wholesale sports is our big on-line retailer, they usually have barnes 200 org and 250 gr.org in stock
My relatives live in Gottenburg were just here for a visit..

ps. we just got buffalo bore distribitor up here.. 250 grs.. not sure Ill throw them down the throat of my win, but maybe a box in my browning 71 Anyone shoot these??

Dave
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Bullets from Barnes, Hornady et c. can be bought here i Europe, and not all dealers are overly greedy. www.vapex.se , www.wiederladen-alzey.de

F.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Woodleigh also makes a 250gr bullet. I have a box of them but haven't gotten around to loading and testing yet.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/bull ... /338q-375q
Ricky

DWWC