.41 Colt vs. .38 Spec.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

.41 Colt vs. .38 Spec.

Post by Triggernosis »

How do they compare, in reality?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: .41 Colt vs. .38 Spec.

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .41 Long Colt cartridge (yes there was a .41 Short Colt) is one of those cartridges for which there seems to be scant reason for its existence.. It is an odd, duck, even by Colt's standards..
In Colt's revolvers, the .41s shared barrel dimensions with the .38 WCF chambering, and both originally utilized the same .401" bullet diamter.

Performance-wise, the .41 can be made the equal to the .38 Spl., but accuracy can suffer if bullets of proper diameter cannot be found.. Late .41 LC ammo was loaded with a hollow-based bullet, which was supposed to obdurate and fill the larfer-diameter bore and grooves.. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not..

Some .41 shooters have spare .38 WCF cylinders fitted to their revolvers..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I had dreams of a .41 LC Colt Army Special or even Official Police. Something I read once when I was a kid about a cut down one that some detective carried. Anyway, I finally realized that I could come very close to duplicating the .41 by loading 200 gr. bullets in the .38 Special so...

However, it now sits bedside with 158 gr. Remington +P ammo.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

In "Sixguns" Kieth spoke rather well of the 41 Long Colt saying it performed out of proportion to its paper ballistics. In short he stated it was a good man-stopper. The issue of bullet vs. groove diameter is a problem for accurate target work but I'd take the diameter and weight of the 41 over the 38 special any day. You should take this with a grain of salt though as it's coming from somebody who is dyed-in-the-wool fan of the police load 41 magnum.

Eric

P.S.

Hobie,
There was an oldtimer up here that had an Army Special in 41 Colt I lusted after as a young kid. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen with that deep blue and elegant cylinder release that pulled towards you instead of pushing away from you. Unfortunately when he died it went to a spoiled grandchild who sold it for drinking money.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yooper2,

It is sad how some kids get so much and take so little from it...

Ray,

Thanks for reminding me. HarryO has his stuff on the net... http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Well, since the .42 LC doesn't seem to have any advantage at all over the .38 Spec., I'll mark it off my list of considerations and stick with the .38 for that new Cimmaron Model P Jr. I've got my eyes on.
Thanks, gentlemen...and Hobie too for the link.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor