M-71 Winchester Prices..............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

M-71 Winchester Prices..............

Post by Boreman »

Every once in a while I scan Gunbroker just looking at the going asking prices of various leverguns.I was looking at the M-71's and almost fell out of my chair.Prices are out of sight :shock: Prices ran from $1400 to $4500 with most in the $2000 neighborhood and up,up and up!!!!!!!!!!!!
My 3 Winchester's and Browning must be worth a pile of money.However,I don't anticipate ever selling them,they are my pride and joy.I sure could not afford another one at those prices. Hmmmmmmmm,if I would win the lottery................... :wink:
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M-71 Winchester Prices..............

Post by RIHMFIRE »

they have been that pricey for years...even the base model 71 are up there...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

They're asking those prices but are they selling? I've observed quite a drop in the 71s recently, particularly the carbines. I'm seeing more and more 71s listed but not a lot are selling at those high prices. They relist over and over while the prices continue to drop. It isn't too hard to find a decent deluxe bolt peep in the low to mid 2s these days, where that was a 3k+ rifle a few years ago.

Now, that is still a pretty penny, to be sure, and still out of reach for most of us. But they're down quite a bit from a few years ago...I'd guess 25 to 30%.

One of our members here bought a deluxe short tang with a few extra holes in the reciever, but otherwise 95%+, for under a grand just last month. There was (and maybe still is) a three digit, very high condition long tang deluxe bolt peep on Auction Arms for $2,700 that was relisted many times. That was a $4,000 rifle in 2008.

Anyway, it's the time to buy if you have the means. Unfortunately, that's really the whole point....much fewer folks have the means, including me :(
Chad
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

An original good condition 71 is worth the $1200+ that I am seeing, the better condition the more $$. The Browning and later models are still worth the $1200-$1500 range depending on features but not much more.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

86er wrote:An original good condition 71 is worth the $1200+ that I am seeing, the better condition the more $$. The Browning and later models are still worth the $1200-$1500 range depending on features but not much more.
Just me, or does anyone else find it odd that an original 71 in good condition will not command more money than a reproduction made by Browning. Interesting.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
86er wrote:An original good condition 71 is worth the $1200+ that I am seeing, the better condition the more $$. The Browning and later models are still worth the $1200-$1500 range depending on features but not much more.
Just me, or does anyone else find it odd that an original 71 in good condition will not command more money than a reproduction made by Browning. Interesting.
A Winchester in equal condition (good or above) to the Browning will command more money, often a lot more money, in my neck of the desert. But once you drill holes in them, or beat them up, the prices come down for both and remain fairly equal.

Keep in mind that the Browning came along after the Winchester M71 had already been discontinued and had a long field history. And a lot who bought the Browning realized that it would likely be the last run of M71s, so they treated them like collector guns rather than take them hunting. Most of the Winchesters went hunting and thier condition reflects it. For me, I'll take a Winchester with some cosmetic wear that is in good mechanical condition to any glossy high polished Browning of equal mechanical condition with "Japan" stamped on its barrel. The Winchester Model 71 is a hunting rifle designed by Americans for American hunting using an exclusively American cartridge and I want mine to be American - stamped Winchester. But that's just me. :D
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Boreman wrote:Every once in a while I scan Gunbroker just looking at the going asking prices of various leverguns.I was looking at the M-71's and almost fell out of my chair.Prices are out of sight :shock: Prices ran from $1400 to $4500 with most in the $2000 neighborhood and up,up and up!!!!!!!!!!!!
My 3 Winchester's and Browning must be worth a pile of money.However,I don't anticipate ever selling them,they are my pride and joy.I sure could not afford another one at those prices. Hmmmmmmmm,if I would win the lottery................... :wink:
I think Winchester M71s in good "shooter" condition can still be found at gun shows for less than $1,000, especially if someone drilled 4 holes in the receiver to mount a scope, and many did just that.
Moondawg
Levergunner

Post by Moondawg »

My next door neighbor has a Mdl 71 rifle he bought new in 1955, took it deer hunting twice and has shot maybe a total of a box and a half of shells through it. Except for a couple of tiny scratches on the stock, it looks NIB. He was recently offered $2,000 for it. He is saving it for his grandson.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Condition & rarity is everything on the originals. Brownings are great guns and shooters---that all
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a minty 71, in a later year vintage, that I gave about 2900 for 3 years ago. I seen a few of about the same vintage, but not nearly as clean a mine, priced at $3500 at the Tulsa Gun Show, this last weekend.

Several others that were decent were priced in the $2,500 range. I did find one 1937 long tang, deluxe that had been reblued, but looked pretty good for about $2,200 and when I expressed some interest he came down to $1700.00

I think I did remember one really rough one for around 1200, but I don't think anyone is going to find a decent one for $1200, unless some little old lady has one left over from her late husband's collection and doesn't know the value.
NRA Life Member, Patron
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Sixgun wrote:Condition & rarity is everything on the originals. Brownings are great guns and shooters---that all
Outstanding shooters, actually.

Here's a pic of my best group offhand at 300 yards:

I shot this buck in the neck at 430 yards (lasered) on a dead run:

The rifle is for sale for $16,000.99 plus shipping.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

I have a M71 Winchester Deluxe. Made in 1946. The bluing has some wear but looks good. Everything is as should be with the exception of a Pachmayr recoil pad. What would be a fair asking price for this gun?
Reqards,
Windjammer
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Windjammer wrote:I have a M71 Winchester Deluxe. Made in 1946. The bluing has some wear but looks good. Everything is as should be with the exception of a Pachmayr recoil pad. What would be a fair asking price for this gun?
That's hard to say, a picture would help. Was the recoil pad installed correctly, was the stock cut, how does the checkering look? What kind of rear sight does it have on it?

If the checkering is worn smooth and the recoil pad looks like a amature installed it, my guess would be $1,500.00

If the checkering looks good, and recoil pad looks well done, and it has a bolt peep sight my guess would $2,000.00 ball park, but it's really a stuff shoot, as it seems there is little ryme or reason for the prices I see on these sometimes. However, the recoil pad does hurt it for collectibility.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I gave $1600 for my '47 vintage Standard with factory swivels and original sling several years back. The original owner gave me his receipt, 200 rds factory WW, 200 rds reloads, 150 brass, 200 bullets and all his .348 reloading stuff. What a deal!! :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln