The pawn shop is going to put me in the poor house

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

The pawn shop is going to put me in the poor house

Post by Dave »

I have a pawn shop I frequent and the deals are just too good to pass up. I bought a couple good Marlin 336's from them this year, a Ruger LCP, a 10-22, and today another 10-22. All these guns were virtual give aways and I have left a lot of good deals there too. I am going to go broke getting all these good deals. :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The pawn shop is going to put me in the poor house

Post by kimwcook »

Guns are definitely an addiction and you'll get no help here other than pushing you to buy more. But, you could share. :D
Old Law Dawg
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I hear You Dave, I have 6 places I check out frequently. After the P38 I told Myself I had to quit for a while. As I headed home today I drove past 2 of the places. My Truck said Hey whats up.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Dave where is this pawn shop, i go thru TN once a month :) Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I know what you mean, I just picked up a NICE S&W 915 at a pawnshop for $300. This was a one owner pistol and not a police trade in, it looks like it was a safe queen or maybe never left the dresser drawer.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pwl44m wrote: As I headed home today I drove past 2 of the places. My Truck said Hey whats up.
NEVER stop to buy a gun while driving an out-of-warranty vehicle; the "he just spent money on something other than me" sensors remain active long after warranty expiration, and will trigger all sorts of vehicle repairs - often they will begin en route home right after the purchase. :o

It's really an amazing technology they put in those cars these days...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

So have you got your eye on somethin' special for your next purchase?

:?:

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

FWiedner wrote:So have you got your eye on somethin' special for your next purchase?

:?:

:wink: :lol:
When I was picking up the 10-22 yesterday he had one of those Savage bolt action 30-30's with a Weaver K6 on it. It was in great shape. He is like the snake in the garden I tell you! He always says "You just say you want it and you can pick it up whenever you want to". I didn't say the words though.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

DT
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have bought allot of guns in Pawn Shops over the years. Frequently the folks that run them are not really gun people and only know what the Blue Book tells them. Also they frequently mis-identify uncommon guns. The result is that sometimes the prices are dead on, sometimes the prices are way to high and sometimes the prices are very low. You just have to know what you are doing, when you buy guns at hock shops.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Dave wrote:He always says "You just say you want it and you can pick it up whenever you want to". I didn't say the words though.
Ain't that scary. The pawn shop I frequent uses the words "want me to put it in the back for you?" I'm about ready to have my bank just send their bank an automatic deposit each month to keep up with all my lay-aways.

You see Dave, some of the folks here are addicted to guns; we're mainlining. :o :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Man -- my dealings with Pawn Shops has been rather poor by comparison --- The guns are usually marked at high blue book retail and getting them to back off more than 10% is rare.

They'll also try to sell a Dewalt Sawzall with a missing cord and looking like it had been dragged behind a cement truck for $120 when you can get it at Home Depot for $130

On the flip side --- i am glad some of you guys have some shops where you can find some deals ! I probably just need to check a few more places
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The pawn shops around here suck....almost new prices for beaters. Same for gun shows. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

When I lived up in Kansas, a co-worker and I would hit a certain pawn shop every Wednesday, the day they pulled the guns out to put on the rack. After buying a few, they started to hold them and let us have first crack at any interesting guns before they went on the rack. I made a few great purchases, keep in mind this was 10-15 years ago.

Tag Said: Winchester 30-30 $150
Actually: Winchester 92 converted to 44 magnum, they let me have it for $125
I sold it to a collector of such things for several times that amount

Tag Said: Interarms .22 $100
Actually: Mini Mark X .223
Fantastic shooter, but I traded it for something years ago

Weatherby .378, Schultz and Larsen action. The price started out at $999, after going unsold for a couple of months, I wound up with it for $350, what they had given for it. No it wasn't hot, well they did steal it in a way, from a widow woman. I couldn't even afford brass and dies for it, and traded it at a gunshop. They allowed me $1500 on trade and I came home with TWO Ruger M77 RSI's, a .243 and a .308, a Ruger #1 in .45-70 (nasty recoil), and an SKB 100 side by side. I still have the SKB.

There were many more
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dave wrote: I am going to go broke getting all these good deals. :lol:

It's only a good deal if one of the following occur !

1. It's something you NEED !

2. It's something you can make a use for and will use regularly .

3. Or if it's something that fits in an accumulation or collection .

4. And finally if you bought it cheap enough that you can roll it over and make a few bucks off it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

6pt-sika wrote:
Dave wrote: I am going to go broke getting all these good deals. :lol:
4. And finally if you bought it cheap enough that you can roll it over and make a few bucks off it .
I always make sure at least this one happens. I won't buy anything anymore unless I can at least break even on it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

OK so where is this mythical pawn shop... me thinks this story should be verified by someone else. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Around here the pawn shops also ask "top dollar" for "beaters". My only real "deal" lately was this little '01 Argie Cavalry Carbine. I bought it half for the rifle, half for the Native art. $199 on the tag, got it for less than half that.

http://photobucket.com/Argie91
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Rusty wrote:OK so where is this mythical pawn shop... me thinks this story should be verified by someone else. :D
It's no secret. I have taken so many guys there I should be getting a commission check! The deal I got the other day is typical. A like new wood/blue 10-22 with a Simmons 8 Point scope in a case with 550 rounds of ammo for $130. Not just smoking but new the gun is $230, scope about $35, case about $15, ammo $20. So that is $300 not counting the rings and bases. The main guy there is an advanced collector who owns hundreds of really nice guns. He knows what stuff is but he is a real pawn shop guy. By that I mean he makes his money on loans. Once something comes out of pawn it has to go. Some pawn shop guys seem to be running a museum.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:The pawn shops around here suck....almost new prices for beaters. Same for gun shows. :roll:
I thought it was only here! I always get jealous when I hear about great pawn shop finds. Every pawn shop I've ever been in things their stuff is made of gold - and one of a kind! :roll:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

My Pawn shop has a Win 9422 that I have been watching. First time I looked at it a couple months ago it was $425, yesterday it was $385. I'm waiting patiently.
Perry
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

We have those crappy pawn shops around here as well. Everything in them is special or something and is marked higher than I can go to Walmart and buy a new one for.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pwl44m wrote:My Pawn shop has a Win 9422 that I have been watching. First time I looked at it a couple months ago it was $425, yesterday it was $385. I'm waiting patiently.
Perry
if they atr down to 385, i dont think i could be patient anymore :lol: i'd offer them $350 just to say i did, but 385 would still be ok by me :lol:
----- Doug
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

if that 9422 for $385 was around here i'd be on it. Not a pawn shop deal but i recently got a S+W 17-5,8 3/8" barrel,target stocks,hammer,and trigger, like new and it came to me with a Leupold M8 4X EER w/Leupold base and rings, and i got the whole works for $350.....I can't pass on deals like that no matter what the Queen says. Believe me I have been on the "miffed wife" diet before :lol:. It'll pass 8) .......Mike
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

zoner wrote:if that 9422 for $385 was around here i'd be on it. Not a pawn shop deal but i recently got a S+W 17-5,8 3/8" barrel,target stocks,hammer,and trigger, like new and it came to me with a Leupold M8 4X EER w/Leupold base and rings, and i got the whole works for $350.....I can't pass on deals like that no matter what the Queen says. Believe me I have been on the "miffed wife" diet before :lol:. It'll pass 8) .......Mike
You mean You tell Her ??
Perry
edit- You Guys have to understand My Town. Like MikeD said ,lot of tweekers and They "TAKE" Their guns to the Pawn not Buy. Yes there is some Money around here but not much. I'll just have to keep Mike out of Town cause there aint room for 2 of Us :wink: