I despise road hunters !!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

I despise road hunters !!!!

Post by Pitchy »

I hate road hunters of private land as no better than a common thief, to lazy to go out and hunt like a man. They ride around like little girls and steal from honest hard hunting men.
I put them in the same class as poachers that can`t hunt like everyone else and buy a license and hunt during the day.
We put up a camera in my hay field now with a sign that says smile on it and i have to patrol every evening.
Takes the fun out of hunting on your own land, real nice when your sitting along the edge of a field waiting for a deer to come out and here comes a lazy thief road hunter and messes it all up because of their stupidity.
As you can tell i`m upset. :x
Last edited by Pitchy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I despise road hunters !!!!

Post by Blaine »

Tell us how you really feel :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

BlaineG wrote:Tell us how you really feel :P
Net Nanny does not allow. :lol: :lol:
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Uh 0h, Pitchy's P.O.'d. Wonder what he'll invent to mess up them road hunter's activities?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

earlmck wrote:Uh 0h, Pitchy's P.O.'d. Wonder what he'll invent to mess up them road hunter's activities?
:o :o :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Caltrops can be made from nails, but as they would puncture any tire which runs over them, and you cannot be sure it would only be road hunters, it probably would be best to not use them. Since road hunting is illegal in many states, how about going high tech and taking a picture of the license plate and one of the gun out the window and calling the Game Warden.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

BlaineG wrote:
earlmck wrote:Uh 0h, Pitchy's P.O.'d. Wonder what he'll invent to mess up them road hunter's activities?
:o :o :o

That is too funny.

I know exactly what you mean Pitchy. Last year while hunting one of our cotton fields a truck pulls up a few min before sunset and takes a shot on a nice buck I had been watching for a while, waiting for him to get a little closer. He missed the deer but scared him off. Very hard not to return fire since he was shooting in my general direction but never seen me. :mrgreen:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I deserve to get made once in a while, that`s my problem i`m to dern nice all the time :lol: say thems some good ideas.
Oh believe me it will stop, legally of coarse. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I grew up on a 2,500 acre beef and seed farm and we constantly had poachers and road hunters (which is totally illegal in our area). Week after week, month after month. One day, I came near as a toucher to putting a 303 British round through the engine block of one of the poachers. Thank goodness I restrained myself, but it was dadgummed hard. I know what you mean, Pitchy!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Proof that a Game Warden can use is very helpful. In my home state, it can get your vehicle taken from you, and if you had any illegally taken game in the house, your house taken away from you to be sold at auction.
D. Brian Casady
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

piller wrote:Proof that a Game Warden can use is very helpful. In my home state, it can get your vehicle taken from you, and if you had any illegally taken game in the house, your house taken away from you to be sold at auction.
Ha, that would fix them weasles wouldn`t it.
Like i said if people want to road hunt or have a medicle issue where that is the only way they can hunt thats fine but do it on public land. This is a public road with private land that is posted on both side, they have no buisness being there.
I caught two of them last year, they stopped and i told them they were road hunting my land, that i had their plate number and was going to turn them in. One of them later came to my house and said they just drive around to see how many deer are in the area, they live close by.
Well when your wearing orange and have guns that don`t fly with this boy, told him to not do it again or i`d turn him in.
I`m gettin to crowded in here, have road on three sides of my 40 now with houses everywhere. Can only shoot one direction and someday that will change i imagine.
Going to put it on the market next spring and try and move somewhere more secluded.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Contacting your Game Warden is a good idea. They do have lots of power, well...at least here in Indiana.

I had an experience with road hunters who were after groundhogs. They seemed to get our two dogs mixed-up with groundhogs. A few days after burying the dogs they happened to drive by our place and my dad told me to get in the pickup. Off we go and they'd stopped not too far south of our place. We had no proof that they'd shot our dogs but it was a good guess on our part. The bullet performance on the dogs was typical of rifles for groundhogs. They were driving by often and we knew they were after groundhogs. Of course they denied shooting the dogs but I did have my say!

Never seen them after that.

Looking back, I really should have called a game warden. Would probably have accomplished nothing.

Don
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Please define road hunter. Do you mean from a truck or a car, or do you include everyone that hunts from a road or vehical, including ATVs? Does this hatred inclued elk hunters looking for herds and predator hunters who hunt at night? Does hunting like a man include the use of horses?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

If road hunting is illegal there Pitchy go and saw yerself out a wooden six point buck profile and set up a vid camera..show vid to warden... Poachers are always the locals it seems...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Idiot wrote:Please define road hunter. Do you mean from a truck or a car, or do you include everyone that hunts from a road or vehical, including ATVs? Does this hatred inclued elk hunters looking for herds and predator hunters who hunt at night? Does hunting like a man include the use of horses?
I`m not explaining anything, read my first post, i`m talkin about deer hunters here where i`m at illegally hunting private land.

Just to add a little more, i dispise anyone that breaks the law for their own selfish reasons and that`s what i`m talking about here.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I road hunt all the time, mostly when I am lost, but once I find the road I take off for home!!

I know what you mean, one time I had permission to hunt a farmers land, he showed me where the key was to the gate, when I got there the key was gone, and these idiots were doing just that hunting from their trucks, made me mad, not only did they make it impossible to get in my taking the key but then to lazy to actualy hunt the land!!!
Terry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

To all those that understand what i`m talking about thank you. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Idiot wrote:Please define road hunter. Do you mean from a truck or a car, or do you include everyone that hunts from a road or vehical, including ATVs? Does this hatred inclued elk hunters looking for herds and predator hunters who hunt at night? Does hunting like a man include the use of horses?
What's the difference? Is it legal for elk, but not deer? as far as I'm concerned it's baloney regardless. I totally understand driving around prior to season opening and scouting your hunting areas to determine where the game is moving. But once the season opens a vehicle should be used to get to the hunting area, and then parked. Traveling around with a loaded gun is illegal in most states, and unsafe in all states.
Hunting someone's private land in a vehicle or not is illegal, and unethical.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I understand where you are coming from. I have been blessed in that my neighbour lets me hunt his property but he is also generous to a few other guys. I have no probelm with that and we all let each have their own little section to play in. My other friend has about 500 acres that I have exclusive access to. The fence lines are well defined and I have watched a nice buck walk past me on the wrong side of the fence I didn't shoot. I shortly after met a fellow who was hunting the other side and I told him the general area the buck went. He was surprised I didn't shoot, but I told him it was a 2 way street and would expect the same from him if it was on my side of the fence. He agreed and we have both had great hunting without hurting anyones success.
We are both lucky that road exposure is very minimal probably 200 yards on the road front, but easily 1 mile deep so lots of wondering room. It is illeagal to shoot from a road in my area. You have to be aleast 50 yards from the ditch and at least 100 yards from a dwelling. It slows the slobs down but you can't stop stupid.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

marlinman93 wrote:
What's the difference? Is it legal for elk, but not deer? as far as I'm concerned it's baloney regardless. I totally understand driving around prior to season opening and scouting your hunting areas to determine where the game is moving. But once the season opens a vehicle should be used to get to the hunting area, and then parked. Traveling around with a loaded gun is illegal in most states, and unsafe in all states.
Hunting someone's private land in a vehicle or not is illegal, and unethical.
I think it makes a big difference. The topic was titled "I despise road hunters." I assumed that's what it meant - road hunters, legal or not. What I guess it means is illegal road hunters. I wanted it clarified so I could agree or disagree. I don't like road hunters - period. And I define road hunters as anyone hunting from a gas powered vehical or moving off-road in or near the actual hunting areas. These "hunters," mostly aboard ATV's, have ruined so many of my stalks and the quiet that comes from hunting, that it's almost made my favorite sport more a test of patience and frustration than the simple act of being a predator seeking prey.

As far as trespassing is concerned, that increased exponentially after the advent of easy to use four wheel drives. I used to spend many months out where most people wouldn't be, moving cattle and riding fences, and each year, before each camp, every cabin (there where five in the circuit) had to first have their front doors put back on, the wood cook stoves replaced, and holes patched up from trespassers - most of which were road hunters. And do you know how many cattle are lost simply because an individual with a gun, hunting license, and vehical access to a piece of property is lost during hunting season? Enough to fill a whole lot of Campbells soup cans. And that's not to mention those that die after swallowing empty shotgun shells. So I am in complete agreement regarding trespassing, and road hunting trespasser in particular.

Okay, you can now go on circling the wagons.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Some people are just JD dumb
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Pitchy wrote:I`m not explaining anything
Got it.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

harry wrote:
Some people are just JD dumb
Harry
What does JD stand for - I'm too dumb to figure it out. :wink:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

No one needs to get in a arguement about this, it`s cut and dry Idiot, i made it pretty plain i was talking about illegal road hunting on private land.
So i hope ya understand and agree with the law.
I`ve been dealing with this problem for years and i blew off a little steam in my post but wrong is wrong and i`m in the right in this matter.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's a little different up here in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the land open for hunting is state, BLM, or tree farm forests that are open to traffic, and criss-crossed with endless mud and gravel Forest Service Roads, which are usually for the purpose of managing the tree farm and hauling out timber. I transit these vast areas in my truck to get to different areas and scout. Don't have a horse, and ATVs have to be street legal on these so-called roads. A loaded rifle in the rig is illegal, and you can't shoot across or from the road. Other than that, I would not pass up a legal shot. If I am less a man than a hunter on a horse or on foot, so be it. I don't really care what someone else thinks of me if I am not breaking any laws. Those in glass houses and "stuff" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Pitchy wrote:No one needs to get in a arguement about this, it`s cut and dry Idiot, i made it pretty plain i was talking about illegal road hunting on private land.
I`ve been dealing with this problem for years and i blew off a little steam in my post but wrong is wrong and i`m in the right in this matter.
I agree with you and the law. My disdain for road hunters, legal or not, likely encompasses yours - but that's another topic.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Pitchy wrote:Going to put it on the market next spring and try and move somewhere more secluded.
I notice pine trees in the background of your avatar. Around here pine trees are nothing more than muffinoid magnets. I'm currently looking for land where there are no pines, few trees, and mostly sagebrush, and the only water at least 100 feet below the ground. Oh, and only one road in and one road out. Either that, or I'll eventually have company. And the older I get the more cranky and less tolerant I've become.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Idiot wrote:
Pitchy wrote:No one needs to get in a arguement about this, it`s cut and dry Idiot, i made it pretty plain i was talking about illegal road hunting on private land.
I agree with you and the law. My disdain for road hunters, legal or not, likely encompasses yours - but that's another topic.
Glad to hear it and i`m sure Harry was reffering to the law breakers.
Blaine i agree and said so heck i`ve road hunted myself on public land and that`s legal.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It is a very common and accepted practice to drive roads in an attempt to intercept migrating elk herds. I have done so many times on private property where we hunted. The ranches are so vast that attempting to walk up a bull will get you nowhere. Our properties are gated and no one is allowed in who does not belong there. Other ranchers sometimes use our roads to access their home places because the way through the ranch is far shorter than any other route. If one of us sees a buck on the neighbor's property, immediately adjacent to ours, it is fine to shoot it. Of course, we all agree that following a wounded deer as far into the neighbor's land as required to retrieve it is also allowed. The far reaches of the ranches, where there are no fences and lines are "blurred", are called "no man's land" and we all hunt that. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pitchy, while I don't own any huntable land, I do understand. One thing I've learned, is that if you ask politely, and abide by the landowners rules, you can quite often get hunting access. Yes there are some who will deny you, but that's no excuse to hunt illegally on their land.

As to road hunting itself, most states have regs against it, not to make hunting more difficult, but to make it "safer". I've seen idiots firing from roads not knowing what's behind their target. These folks need a serious "realignment" of their ways.

Hmm, if it's a private road, I imagine you could fashion some sort of tire shredder. :evil:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jeepnik wrote:Pitchy, while I don't own any huntable land, I do understand. One thing I've learned, is that if you ask politely, and abide by the landowners rules, you can quite often get hunting access. Yes there are some who will deny you, but that's no excuse to hunt illegally on their land.

As to road hunting itself, most states have regs against it, not to make hunting more difficult, but to make it "safer". I've seen idiots firing from roads not knowing what's behind their target. These folks need a serious "realignment" of their ways.

Hmm, if it's a private road, I imagine you could fashion some sort of tire shredder. :evil:

Think Pitchy said his problem is they use a public road with his land on both sides!

What might help
1) completely posted both sides(you did that)
2) use of couple plot cams to cover roadsides.
http://www.basspro.com/Day-6-Outdoors-P ... LL_PRODUCT
3)for any other log road or secondary dirt drive into your woods away from your residence,the use of the new "BLACKOUT" game cam
hidden close to its entrance.
4)randomly at varied times walk your woods(the big thing anymore is poachers use a bow and get dropped off by someone else and picked up so you have no indication anyone is even on your land.That's where the random checking(walk around) with a good watchdog and use of a "Blackout cam on an access road in gets em! :wink:

The Blackout is camo'd/has no sound/makes no visual flash of any type(so their busted even at night and don't know it) :wink:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hunting and scouting are two related but different activities. Hunting regulations are different as they apply to public and private roads.

To the best of my knowledge, in most places it is illegal to travel with a loaded rifle during a hunting season in the vicinity where regulated game can be taken, to discharge a firearm from a public roadway, across a public roadway, within a certain distance of a public roadway, or within a set distance of an occupied dwelling. Even if it's not the law, for safety's sake it seems only common sense.

The rules are known to change to provide access for disabled persons. Some places allow vehicles or ATV's. There's no reason to debate those considerations.

The issues are respect for the property and safety of others and willing compliance to known laws and wildlife management regulations.

The plain fact is that most 'road-hunters' are poachers. They are lazy slob hunters who cruise around trespassing on and vandalizing public and private property, harrassing, injuring, and killing pets and livestock, and robbing everyone else of the opportunity to legally utilize shared game resources.

'Road-hunters' by this definition are not 'hunters' at all. They are armed criminals and deserve to be treated as such.

:|
Last edited by FWiedner on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

madman4570 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Pitchy, while I don't own any huntable land, I do understand. One thing I've learned, is that if you ask politely, and abide by the landowners rules, you can quite often get hunting access. Yes there are some who will deny you, but that's no excuse to hunt illegally on their land.

Think Pitchy said his problem is they use a public road with his land on both sides!

What might help
1) completely posted both sides(you did that)
2) use of couple plot cams to cover roadsides.
http://www.basspro.com/Day-6-Outdoors-P ... LL_PRODUCT
3)for any other log road or secondary dirt drive into your woods away from your residence,the use of the new "BLACKOUT" game cam
hidden close to its entrance.
4)randomly at varied times walk your woods(the big thing anymore is poachers use a bow and get dropped off by someone else and picked up so you have no indication anyone is even on your land.That's where the random checking(walk around) with a good watchdog and use of a "Blackout cam on an access road in gets em! :wink:

The Blackout is camo'd/has no sound/makes no visual flash of any type(so their busted at night and don't know it) :wink:

Yes it`s a public road, my land is on one side and several other lot owners on the other, all is posted and mine is fenced. So far i haven`t caught anyone on my property but they have been seen getting out of there truck and standing on the other side of the fence looking for deer.
Sad thing is there wasn`t a road there before until my neaghbor at the time died and sold his land to a land developer. That`s when the road went up my west fence line :x
I`ll just have to stay on patrol and catch them if i can.
Thanks for the support.
The plain fact is that most 'road-hunters' are poachers. They are lazy slob hunters who cruise around trespassing on and vandalizing public and private property, harrassing, injuring, and killing pets and livestock, and robbing everying else of the opportunity to legally utilize shared game resources.

'Road-hunters' by this definition are not 'hunters' at all. They are armed criminals and deserve to be treated as such.
Yepper
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I was hanging a deer stand this weekend and as I was finishing, I looked up and found a guy "JUST WALKING". We were both several hundred yards from the nearest property line. I politely informed him he was tresspassing and that if I seen him in the area again, the results would be far different and it would involve the law. I asked him his name? He said his name was Lynyrd Skynrd!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Pitchy wrote:I deserve to get made once in a while, that`s my problem i`m to dern nice all the time :lol: say thems some good ideas.
Oh believe me it will stop, legally of coarse. :wink:
Try tracers, I have found everyone seems to understand them and the meaning..
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pitchy wrote:To all those that understand what i`m talking about thank you. :)
+1 -- I agree--they drive me nuts too...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Paladin wrote:Try tracers, I have found everyone seems to understand them and the meaning..
Yes Sir, there is not any way at all to misunderstand a tracer.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote: :o :o :o
Oh man, I just wet my pants. :D

Pitchy, Its was very common here in Pa. and was accepted hunting up until the sixties or so. It is still practiced upstate regularly by drunks, dopebags, and uncaring dirtbuckets. Our law here reads that you have to be 25' off of a roadway and even then, you must have permission to hunt the land, so is what the trasheaters do is drive around (with a case of beer) on Pa. State Game Lands until they see something, then jump out and bang away.

About the only way to catch 'em is to mount a deer decoy (with large antlers :D ) say.........100 yards away and then sit nearby the road and hope for the best. Each day, you move the decoy around. Thats how they catch them here but........as a civilian, what can you do if you actually catch them? Take down their license plate? Then testify in court? These are usually the kind of people who will come back to burn your house down.

This is what I would do----------I would get a decoy and fill it with tennenite (legal) When the scum suckers take their shot and see a massive explosion, well, I'm sure it would have a lasting impression :D and would let you know what they just did. :wink: :D -------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sixgun wrote:
BlaineG wrote: :o :o :o
Oh man, I just wet my pants. :D

Pitchy, Its was very common here in Pa. and was accepted hunting up until the sixties or so. It is still practiced upstate regularly by drunks, dopebags, and uncaring dirtbuckets. Our law here reads that you have to be 25' off of a roadway and even then, you must have permission to hunt the land, so is what the trasheaters do is drive around (with a case of beer) on Pa. State Game Lands until they see something, then jump out and bang away.

About the only way to catch 'em is to mount a deer decoy (with large antlers :D ) say.........100 yards away and then sit nearby the road and hope for the best. Each day, you move the decoy around. Thats how they catch them here but........as a civilian, what can you do if you actually catch them? Take down their license plate? Then testify in court? These are usually the kind of people who will come back to burn your house down.

This is what I would do----------I would get a decoy and fill it with tennenite (legal) When the scum suckers take their shot and see a massive explosion, well, I'm sure it would have a lasting impression :D and would let you know what they just did. :wink: :D -------------Sixgun

:lol: the only problem is we haven`t had live stock in that field for a few years and the dead grass is a foot high, the deer wouldn`t be the only thing on fire. :roll:
I patroled last evening and didn`t see anyone so maybe the didn`t like thinking they were on candid camera :lol:

Should add ,they shouldn`t show us pics like that huh sixgun, we just might build one :wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

To put some perspective into this, some states allow hound hunting for deer, and in Texas they set up luxury stands with a feeder that sounds a bell at feeding time.....I won't comment :lol: :lol: We don't do that... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of my patients had both legs basically blown off in the military, so he hunts deer from an automobile routinely. He had to go through lots of bureaucracy to get 'permission from the King' to do so. He only does it on relative's farmland (kinda hard to get an automobile into the woods), and of course has to cell-phone someone to come out and do the dragging and field dressing and so on. He says the biggest problem is that he'll get all set up and see some deer heading his way, then a game warden will come up and spook the deer and 'check him out'. Once he shows them his 'papers' they'll leave, but often the deer don't come back. He's tried calling to let them know in advance where he's going to hunt, so if anyone driving by sees/reports him, they don't come out, but too many layers of people to go through for that to work well, so he just has the relative who does the farming leave a couple strips of un-combined corn he can park behind. That works best.

His next 'hurdle' is his kid wants to hunt with him, but I guess there's some legal who-ho about that, and he's getting conflicting answers about whether it's "ok". Seems kind of silly, but I guess the kid can't even be with him without being accused of "hunting from a vehicle without proven disability". He can use a separate stand/blind, but he's only 12 or so, and would like to be with his dad, not someplace else, plus if he even comes back to the vehicle and gets in it when it's time to go home or eat some lunch, he 'could be construed' as hunting from it.

It's a classic example of why some of us Libertarian-types think even well-intended laws sometimes are stupid and even wrong. The things that are 'bad' about road-hunting could all be addressed without messing with this guy's already-difficult attempts to just hunt deer with his kid. :roll:

I do agree that all hunting should be ethical/humane, should obey laws designed to limit game population destruction during breeding season, etc., and should be safely done. I also think trespassing on someone else's property, even 'farmland', is not much different from walking in their house uninvited if the door is unlocked - maybe a matter of degree, but not of substance. We have the type of 'road hunters' Pitchy is referring to, and we routinely report them - what they are doing is far worse than just being 'lazy' or 'nonsportsmanlike', but is dangerous and wrong. Throw the book at them! :evil:

-------------

On a funnier note, when I was a kid, one nearby farmer hated trespassers, poachers, vandals, & thiefs so much that he'd use his front-end loader to turn their vehicles upside-down. :o Good thing the sheriff liked him!

Then there was the other neighbor who'd just set fire to any vehicle that was on his property more than once. :shock: He eventually got in trouble for that.

The worst thing 'we' (I was a grade-schooler at the time) ever did was when a repeat-offender who said he had 'sort of accidentally' cut the lock on a gate (for the third time), and sort-of accidentally stolen some tools off a tractor, and we think sort-of accidentally had vandalized a combine, we sort-of accidentally bumped the brake-release on his car. . . did I mention he'd parked on a part of our field that overlooked the river. . . :twisted:

Ahh the good-old-days... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hey, Doc....Just sayin'..there are some conflicting opinions between this and the thread on The King's Deer not too long ago. Personally, I follow laws because it's too expensive not to :wink: If the bad times, I'll bet finding meat becomes a lot more tolerable around here :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got a lot to say about if they get caught on my land!
But,--------------------------Guess I will shut up! :wink:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:To put some perspective into this, some states allow hound hunting for deer, and in Texas they set up luxury stands with a feeder that sounds a bell at feeding time.....I won't comment :lol: :lol: We don't do that... :wink:
What you attempt to compare or critique are legal hunting methods.

The discussion is, I believe, about poaching from the convenience of public roadways.

:idea: :?:
BlaineG wrote:Hey, Doc....Just sayin'..there are some conflicting opinions between this and the thread on The King's Deer not too long ago. Personally, I follow laws because it's too expensive not to If the bad times, I'll bet finding meat becomes a lot more tolerable around here
That discussion, again according to my understanding, was about whether game on a property belongs to the landowner or to the state. Whomever the game belongs to, there is no justifiable excuse for poaching from a public roadway or trespassing to take game.

Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:
BlaineG wrote:To put some perspective into this, some states allow hound hunting for deer, and in Texas they set up luxury stands with a feeder that sounds a bell at feeding time.....I won't comment :lol: :lol: We don't do that... :wink:
What you attempt to compare or critique are legal hunting methods.

The discussion is, I believe, about poaching from the convenience of public roadways.

:idea: :?:
BlaineG wrote:Hey, Doc....Just sayin'..there are some conflicting opinions between this and the thread on The King's Deer not too long ago. Personally, I follow laws because it's too expensive not to If the bad times, I'll bet finding meat becomes a lot more tolerable around here
That discussion, again according to my understanding, was about whether game on a property belongs to the landowner or to the state. Whomever the game belongs to, there is no justifiable excuse for poaching from a public roadway or trespassing to take game.

I absolutely agree.....Still and all, you personally seem to be fond of situational outrage. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We thought we heard a gun shot so hopped in the truck and drove accross the field and didn`t see anything. I really hate this stuff, i`m moving somewhere where people can`t hunt around my property, if there is such a place.
Agrivating, dern cowards. :x
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:I absolutely agree.....Still and all, you personally seem to be fond of situational outrage. :lol:

What you call "situational outrage", I call "having an opinion".

TomAto, TomAHto... ?

:?:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I absolutely agree.....Still and all, you personally seem to be fond of situational outrage. :lol:

What you call "situational outrage", I call "having an opinion".

TomAto, TomAHto... ?

:?:
Luckily, I'm unbiased enough for the both of us :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Pitchy,

I am in agreement about despising the illegal road hunters. I don't think anyone can justify it, it is poaching.

I can also agree about wanting to get property away from roads. I am part owner of a piece of property. The nearest public road is 3/4 of a mile, we have easement rights through our neighbors for access. While we don't have road hunters, we still get the occasional ATV rider that will slip through somehow, someway. I have been able to talk to a few of these folks at times and let them know they are not welcome. We still lose some tree stands from time to time. It is maddening, but short of 24 hour security, what can you do. I am very glad that our place is off the road.

I know a family that owns some acreage surrounded by National Forest on all sides. Their place is constantly under invasion. Their cabin is broken into constantly. I have been there on a weekend and the ATV riders pull into their place as if there is a welcome mat out. I would not own property like that.

I don't have anything against ATV's but it sure makes it easy for those inclined to mischief to get around.

Kevin
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

ATV`s another sore subject for me, back and forth down the road all summer, get sick of listening to them. Ain`t unusual to see them loaded with kids going right down the highway. Just another thing man has to abuse and ruin the country with. Great thing if used responsibly but that isn`t the case alot of times.
I`ve thought and been told to buy land by state land before and have thought about it but i agree with you that it just gives them the right to get closer to ya.
I`m not sure if there is a place to find peace anymore unless ya want to live out in the plains in ND, which wouldn`t be so bad other than for the wind and winter.
I don`t know but i want to live somewhere else before i die, with the way my family is i don`t even want to be buried here next to them or have them come to my funeral and act like they care.
I`m kinda with Joe and thinking maybe Arizona would be nice, at least the north part.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.