6.5 SWEDISH MAUSER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

6.5 SWEDISH MAUSER

Post by Newtmaker »

Some time back I asked advise on purchasing one of these guns. The response was overwhelming to do so; so I did! It was a good decision as she is a fine shooter. The bbl is almost pristine and the wood is nice. Not high grade, I doubt any were as a military grade rifle, but it does look good.
Now, at 69 years old, the eyes aren't what they used to be. I really like the tang sights on my lever guns, so I was wondering if such an animal was available for the Swedish Mausers. I checked Midway and there was something similar shown, but I wonder if anyone here has first hand experience in that area.
Appreciate any input that anyone might have.

Walt
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 6.5 SWEDISH MAUSER

Post by Rusty »

I saw a 6.5 once at a gun show that was equal to what we would call a National Match rifle. IIRC it had a hooded front sight, but I DO remember it had a very nice looking rear sight. The rear sight was a fully adjustable peep sight with very fine adjustments mounted on the side of the receiver.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

There should be a lot out there.You can check with Lyman,Williams and there should more.Having drain bamage right now.you can check with Midway as well.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rusty wrote:I saw a 6.5 once at a gun show that was equal to what we would call a National Match rifle. IIRC it had a hooded front sight, but I DO remember it had a very nice looking rear sight. The rear sight was a fully adjustable peep sight with very fine adjustments mounted on the side of the receiver.
I want to say those were the CG63 rifles. Yes, they were hardcore target rifles and yes, I really want one in full competition dress without having to sell a kidney! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Newt, I don't know if there's a tang sight for the Swedes but there should be a receiver sight still available from the receiver sight manufacturers.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The FP-98 can be used on the Swedes (and other Mausers 91 and later...).

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Thanks Hobie! That't what I was looking for. I will check with Midway.

Walt
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

awp101 wrote:"Newt, I don't know if there's a tang sight for the Swedes but there should be a receiver sight still available from the receiver sight manufacturers."
Then again...

Another option would be to do some Google research using the names of these various Swedish Mauser sights...
m96 Sight - AGA diopter.jpg
m96 Sight - Elit-edstrom.jpg
m96 Sight - Faldt.jpg
m96 Sight - GF w sunshade.jpg
m96 Sight - Hauges.jpg
m96 Sight - Helqvist.jpg
m96 Sight - Hooka.jpg
m96 Sight - Pramm.jpg
m96 Sight - Soderin.jpg
Yeah, I guess you could say that I used to be into the Swedes just a little... :wink: That was before I switched to leverguns.

Most of the above, by the way, were civilian sights added postwar -- not military sights. I added the Vasteras "sight insert" to my m/38b rear sight as it keeps it more original.
m96 Sight - Metallverken Vasteras.jpg
Tight groups -- which is "easy to do" if you shoot a Swede! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

what I was trying to tell you before my brain froze up! http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sight ... &sID=rifle
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Here is one I have considered:

http://www.mojosights.com/swedish_mausers.html
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

An alternative to fitting an aperture sight to your rifle is the adjustable Merit Optical Attachment:

They're available from Brownells and eslewhere for around $65
http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

Lyman do something similar in plastic for about $20.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/hawkeye.php
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

DerekR wrote:Here is one I have considered:

http://www.mojosights.com/swedish_mausers.html
I just ran across these today. I will probably go with them as they look very easy to install and no drilling/tapping required.

Walt
1894c

Post by 1894c »

great cartridge--great gun--great shooter--had one gave it to my brother-- :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have never had good experiences with aperture sights set as far forward as the MOJO. The Japanese tried the same sort of aperture sight on the type 99 rifle. There is another commercially made sight which CRS prevents me from naming that does the same thing. Several forum members have tried it as a neat and cheaper alternative only to be disappointed in performance. Everyone's eyesight is different and each of us will have greater or lesser success with any given sight system. I suggest that you TRY a sight out, if at all possible, before committing money to it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Thanks for the insight, Hobie. I never considered that perspective. SO, I have taken an older Lyman tang sight that I had on my Rossi until I replaced it with a Taurus Tang Sight, taped it to the tang of the Swede to get an idea how it works. What I see so far is good, so tomorrow I will test it at the range. I am hoping that if I am careful I can fire a few rounds without the recoil messing things up too bad. I used some very good "redneck" tape, so it should last for a few months.... :lol:

Walt
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have a Merit optical disc for my eyeglasses.. works very well.. just recently I have been experimenting with a piece of black electrical tape with a small hole made in it with a fine drill.. works as well as the Merit for a couple of cents.. try it... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Should you end up with a peep sight you may also want the front sight hood.My swede was already set up with a peep and adding the hood seems to help.Sarco inc has them.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

model55 wrote:Should you end up with a peep sight you may also want the front sight hood.My swede was already set up with a peep and adding the hood seems to help.Sarco inc has them.
I found the listing and a pic of the sight. Not sure how it mounts?
My front sight has a post that is about .5" high and a shorter post sight that is dovetailed to that.

Walt
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The one I have was tapped on from the muzzle end-pretty healthy steel so it will not be coming off any time soon.As I remember it I had enough fun putting it on but I do like the sight picture.Circle within a circle then the front sight post-lines up pretty quick.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Shot in a 200 yard ordanance rifle match today at the gun club I belong to. I was shooting a M96 that I had only shot once before and surlus ball ammo. I got 6th place which is pretty good since I can't really see the target that far away. The second place shooter shot an M96 with handloads and he uses a merit. I think the sweedes made a pretty good showing since the others in the top 10 all had peep sights.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Hobie wrote:The FP-98 can be used on the Swedes (and other Mausers 91 and later...).

I ordered the FP98 direct from Williams today. Talked to their tech dept and they described how it mounts and works. Sounds exactly what I want. The Gunsmith at the local Gander Mountain said he can drill and tap the required holes for 40.00. Hopefully I can have it done next week after the sight gets here.
I took the 6.5 to the range again today with the "jury rigged" tang sight. I was happy with the sight pic and shot a couple nice 5 shot groups. One 2.25", one 1.8" and one 1.1". I am a happy camper!

Walt