reloaing question for 200 rounds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

reloaing question for 200 rounds

Post by rimrock »

I've found a load that my .444 likes when I'm driving, so I 'd like to reload 200 rounds. According to my calculations, a 36 grain load will allow about 190 rounds to be loaded from 1 pound of powder, allowing for a little waste. Would you buy 2 pounds of the same powder and mix them together to better assure consistency of the loads? Or, would you keep each pound of powder separate?

rimrock
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: reloaing question for 200 rounds

Post by Terry Murbach »

I'D BUY TWO CANS OF THE SAME LOT NUMBER.

WHY DOES YOUR 444 ONLY LIKE IT WHILE YOUR DRIVING.....?
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If they're the same lot number as the can you've been working from it won't hurt to mix them.
IF they're seperate lot numbers best to test the loads from each can before loading.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

buy 2 from the same lot number
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

rimrock, if you've found something your rifle likes, get yourself a keg of it. It isn't going to get any cheaper and you never know when it's going to get hard to get.

I remember that for many years we worried about lot-to-lot variation in powders. But my experience is that our manufacturers have got so good at providing a consistent produce I've quit even paying attention to it. I sure haven't made any scientific study of variations, or lack thereof, but it seems to me that for the past 15 or more years we just don't have the lot-to-lot variation that used to be a fact of life. Am I full of hooey, or have some of you other reloaders noticed the same thing?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yes I've had such inconsistancy with 760 I won't use it anymore, preferring instead H 414.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

"WHY DOES YOUR 444 ONLY LIKE IT WHILE YOUR DRIVING.....?"

Drive by Deer hunting???

I was wondering the same thing???
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your thinkin' (or readin' ) too much. If its all from the general time era--go for it.............we ain't shootin' 1 inchers at 300 meters.-----Sixgun ps--a puff of wind 5 mph greater will cause more than any lot number will.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Buy an 8lb keg. 'Cause when you have shot up those 200 you are going to be ready to do it all over again! :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

2X22 wrote:Buy an 8lb keg. 'Cause when you have shot up those 200 you are going to be ready to do it all over again! :lol:

2x22
Yes sirree! More fun when you keep the cost down, too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Sixgun wrote:Your thinkin' (or readin' ) too much. If its all from the general time era--go for it.............we ain't shootin' 1 inchers at 300 meters.-----Sixgun ps--a puff of wind 5 mph greater will cause more than any lot number will.
:roll: A 5mph puff of wind won't blow the primers when going from one lot of powder to the other,,, but the difference in lots can sure as the world do it. :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2X22 wrote:Buy an 8lb keg. 'Cause when you have shot up those 200 you are going to be ready to do it all over again! :lol:
2x22
And if that fails to trip your boat, just use 2 lbs from the same lot. And what DO you mean, "...when I'm driving"?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Guys,

I used the word "driving" in the OP just to attempt to stimulate any discussion. I was successful it seems. Driving is the same as shooting for the OP. Each gun performs differently with different operators. I didn't overlook bulk purchase, but 2 canisters is about $50 while bulk is $100+. Gotta buy primers also, so bulk powder is not an option for now.

rimrock
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Rimrock,

If you can, I'd try to get two of the same lot. If not then yes, mix the two together for a consistant load.

I too used to think that modern powders were so consistant that it didn't matter going from one lot to another. I was loading 9mm with a max load of Universal Clays. When I opened a new keg I used the same load as before and it was over 100 fps faster than the first keg. Flat primers, where not with the first.

So, I do pay attention to lot numbers.

Cat