38-55 + Antelope = backstraps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

38-55 + Antelope = backstraps

Post by 2X22 »

Well, I'm back folks! We had things planned to do for a couple days after we LIMITED OUT(!) but my daughter went into labor a week early and gave birth on my 15 hour trip home going as fast as we could, to my 2nd Granddaughter. Got home 5 a.m. and was up cuddling and kissin' on her by 10 a.m. Mother and baby (and dad and sister!) are home now and doing well!

Since my son hasn't got around to sending me any of our pictures yet, here is a link to a short article he wrote up on his favorite website.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index ... 895.0.html

Our buddy is the top fellow on his first out of state hunt ever. To that point all he had ever taken was a spike deer and a calf elk. To say he was excited before, during and after this hunt would be an understatement! He used a .308 Winchester using a 165gr Speer BT that I load for him at about 2750fps. He made a great shot at an estimated 150 yards. At the shot the buck was down without a twitch.

The second picture is of our buddy on the left, I am on the right. And of course, I'm the next one down with my Marlin .38-55. To expand on my my sons version, I stalked him from about a 3/4 of a mile away to get within 300 yards. From there I belly crawled(!) through cactus to get within 230 yards, using my sons range finder. I gotta tell you, that was absolutely a blast! Laying in the cactus on my belly I was VERY certain of my shot and I held about 2" down from the top of his back. At the shot the doe took off to my right and ran about 50 yards and then stopping with the buck staying right with her. I could see blood spraying out from his side. He stood there a few moments and then fell over, not moving. I got up and started toward him and when I got within 100 yards I'll be darned if he didn't raise his head and look at me so I put a quick one through his neck, I sure didn't want to see him suffer. My rifle was sighted in for 1 1/2" high at 100 yards at 650' above sea level and we were hunting at about 5000'. I would guess my bullet dropped about 8". Horizonally it was perfect. The bullet took him right through the top of the heart.

My son stalked his buck from around 2 miles away. It was great to watch! What looked flat as a pancake turned out to have just enough folds in the ground to let him get within less than 200 yards. From there, using a 270 SM it was a cakewalk. And of course my son is the one in the bottom picture.

Though my son gave me grief about taking the 38-55 it was great to rub it into him that *I* made the longest shot of the 3 of us! Of course, I also do the most amount of shooting of the 3 of us, probably 20X as much as the both of them put togather, and was very confident in the rifle, the load and my own abilities with it. It was 30 yards past what I planned but I do a lot of shooting with it out to 300+ yards. I was very very pleased with the Lyman cast bullet. While the buck was only 13" tall it is a record to me because of how I took it.
Last edited by 2X22 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 38-55 + Antelope = backstraps

Post by C. Cash »

Excellent and congratulations all around.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations - that sounds like a great hunt
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Great hunt, thanks for sharing.
I couldn't agree more, the size of the horn doesn't make the trophy, it is the hunt itself that determines the quality of the trophy.
Looks like you must of been hunting up around Buffalo?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent shot with the 38-55. Glad to see that old cartridge still bringing home the meat.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Terrific. :D :D .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats a good way with such an antiquated rifle/cartridge combo :lol:

Proud of you.

Blessings to you family.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Thanks guys!

It was very important to me to take it with a levergun. I like doing about 98-99% of my hunting with a levergun and I didn't want this to be any different. At first I had planned to perhaps use my .44 Marlin Cowboy since that is my first love and shoot them so much that I am very very comfortable at fairly long ranges. However, even I will admit that going to a 'long range' levergun over the .44 was a relatively smart move, though I did put the sneak on one that I was close enough, prob'ly 50 yards, that had my .44 Ruger Flattop cocked and lined up. He was just a bit on the small side, maybe 11" so I let him go.

Now for a bull elk out behind the garden with my 444 Marlin, a deer in my home state with a .44 Marlin CB, and maybe I'll be taking my 38-55 back to Wyoming for the late season deer tag I drew :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good work there -- did I miss it on the way through here - what was the bullet and the load?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Looks like you all had a huge time! Congrats!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Thanks, Dave!
Old Savage wrote:Good work there -- did I miss it on the way through here - what was the bullet and the load?
No, you didn't miss it. I used the Lyman 264gr 375449 which weighs 280.5grs from my alloy, ready to load. I use about 75% WW's to 25% pure lead which expands out to .70 in an elk, the only bullet I ever recovered! 32grs of 3031 gives about 1850fps and the last 3 groups I shoot at 100 yards on paper the day before I left were 1 3/4", 1 3/8" and 1 3/8" about 1 1/2" high at 100 yards.

2x22
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the info, that info should be just about right for my 375 Win in a Marlin 375 which I think is the same chambering actually used in your 38-55. More properly stated I believe they chambered the 375 for the short version of the 38-55.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Great! Thanks for sharin'! Congratulations!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Wow! Beautiful country.

Good pictures. Looks like you had a terrific hunt.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats on the backstraps....230yard shot with a 38-55....pretty darn good!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Excellent! That is hunting done right, levergun, cast bullet, stalking and an accurate shot. Too cool.

What diameter does that bullet drop from the mold with that alloy?

I've been looking at that mold for a while but wasn't sure it would drop big enough for my 38-55 CB.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers