Minty Winchester 71 values...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Minty Winchester 71 values...

Post by mod71alaska »

(I didn't want to sidetrack Sixguns FS thread: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=37347 and thought a new topic was best.)

Mike D., Madman4570, and Sixgun (and other Levergunners) your expertise runs deep and you're making me think about Model 71s, so....

Here's a 100% original minty Winchester Model 71 Deluxe that's a 1936 low 4 digit s/n:

and a minty 1940 Winchester Model 71:

What are these 71s worth?

ANY Levergunner's photos of Winchester 71s and comments are welcome here.

Fall is in the air...it's 71 season!!!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Minty Winchester 71 values...

Post by RIHMFIRE »

whoa...nice.....and worth a few bags of money too...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Book says $2000 in 98%. Add 30-40% for early variation long tang. Add $250 for bolt peep sight.

Now with that said, I see asking prices on Gunbreaker all over the place, but only one looks to be in your quality range and that guy is asking $5000 with it already bid up to $3000. I have no idea what auctions have actually closed with guns in your quality range, but that should be easy to search for if you want to spend the time.

"A lot" is the number that comes to mind. :-)

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

olyinaz wrote:
"A lot" is the number that comes to mind. :-)

Best,
Oly
Yes, and too much for me anymore!

RE: "The book" my own experience has been that the "book" always is 1) out of date and 2) useful only as a dealers' tool to buy low. So I NEVER refer to any book for either buying or selling. I think the definitive sources for prices of generally available firearms are the closed auctions on the auction sites, particularly GunBroker. For the most part, they represent true arms length transactions between willing buyers and sellers.

Also, for me 98% for a 70-75 year old prewar Winchester is something less than minty. But that is a difficult area because it's so individually subjective.

That being said, I'm just asking you guys what you think minty 71s are worth.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

"Minty" 71s are very uncommon, especially early Deluxes, and the number that comes to my mind is $5K, give or take. Of course, today's weak economy has to be taken into consideration, but, as you know, there always seems to be money for quality Winchesters.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yo Victor---What be happinin'?? :D

Remember one thing------CONDITION SELLS :D and.........your guns have condition :D As you said, forget the books as minty pre-war Model 71's are few and far between. I call it the G.F.O. factor----Go Find One! :D

One minty pre-war guns, the seller has the upper hand---Kinda like having a '54 Vette with 20K miles on her...........Guys with deep pockets will dig deep so..................your deluxe will bring 5-6--closer to 6 and the standard will bring 3500-4. Books with printed values mean nothin' here. :wink:

I do know our good friend Mike D. may not agree with me as we both would not spend that kind of money but.........there's guys out there that will :D These prices are outta my head without internet reference but I bet I'm close. Even in times of "economic recession", the big money boys always have the bucks--its the American capitalistic way---they make sure they don't lose it. :wink:

You gotta figure, some guys spend $30,000 on guns like the average guy spends $300. Money don't mean nothin to them as well....they have deep pockets and they get what they want----go check out their wives :D Go read the auction results at Julia David or Rock Island Arsenal.---------------------------------------------------------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Sixgun wrote:Yo Victor---What be happinin'?? :D

....Even in times of "economic recession", the big money boys always have the money....

....some guys spend $30,000 on guns like the average guy spends $300. Money don't mean nothin to them as well....they have deep pockets and they get what they want----go check out their wives :D. ".......................Sixgun
I'm just hangin', Jack. Taking the boat out tomorrow to no where in particular to get in another day on the water before it gets too cold. What I'd really like to do is take the boat south for a month along the Southern New England/mid-Atlantic coast and fish Sept/Oct. Maybe next year. Man, I hate it when I put things off!

Hey, I'm impressed with the crowd you're hangin' with these days and especially your astute observations of the wives. I can see I have a lot more to learn than the value of old Winchesters!!!!!

'tis the season of 71s...Enjoy!!!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

mod71alaska wrote: RE: "The book" my own experience has been that the "book" always is 1) out of date and 2) useful only as a dealers' tool to buy low. So I NEVER refer to any book for either buying or selling. I think the definitive sources for prices of generally available firearms are the closed auctions on the auction sites, particularly GunBroker. For the most part, they represent true arms length transactions between willing buyers and sellers.

Also, for me 98% for a 70-75 year old prewar Winchester is something less than minty.
Fully agree!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There are those who think nothing of spending 15 million for a rare auto, and one of my good bottle collecting friends just kicked in 18K for a single San Francisco bottle from the 1870s.
Simply because we can't shake out cash like that doesn't mean much; there are plenty that will and quality firearms are no exception. A high end quality 71 will ultimately be a great investment in the long run. All of us old fanny burbs can recall when a great '73 could be had for under a Grand and a 1886 for lots less. Dollar values are relative and the buck just don't go where it once did. Today's "$1. is worth 25¢, or maybe less, which makes quality guns a better investment than any CD or Money Market Fund available nowadays.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Those guns-------------At an upscale publicized Gun Auction(hard to tell)
At least what Sixgun says and with the right people showing up(much more possible)
You have to realize that two or three wealthy people taking a shining to the same weapon(sometimes it becomes a power thing)
Five years ago went to a auction because I had the inside scoop on a 1998 Harley 1200 Dyna Wide Glide(that had this $2000+ custom hand paint job on the tank of 3 beautiful naked ladies.(ton of chrome)
Thought------$10K------yep, I am going to get that sucker :lol:
Two high rollers(one from Alabama and one from NY showed up and got into a bid-off.(heard the one Alabama guy say the one naked lady on the tank was his deceased wife reincarnated :shock:
it went for $27000.
After,I talked to the buyer----I asked him how much he would have went up to for that bike.
He said-------sonny, I would have paid what I needed to pay to get it????????????
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My boss man just sold that nice 71 deluxe with bolt peep, maybe not minty but in excellent condition, for $3000 + tax and background check. He had had $3900 on it and was going to put it on Gunbroker.

I am looking at prices and am pretty much convinced that MY 71, when I get the dollars together for it, will be a Browning.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Money talks, BS walks. Like Sixgun says, maybe we don't spend that kind of cash, but I know plenty who will. I harken back to the "good 'ol days" when I hadn't two nickels to rub together and great rifles sat languishing on tables for a hundred bucks. My first '73, a 80%+ RB .38-40 with excellent bore, cost me $125 that it took 3 months to pay off. That gun was actually used for a few years and took a nice blacktail buck. It was sold for 3 times what it cost me, a killing back then. If I only knew then what I know now. We all say that, don't we? What do they say about hindsight? :roll:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yeah....

We have an example in the shop today. A late Jap bayonet in excellent condition. I had one, once upon a time, that I bought from Mrs. Kramer's antique shop in Bridgewater for $10 in 1971. My dad just shook his head. About 14 years ago all the accumulation of militaria to which I had no real connection was driving me nuts and I sold it for $150. We're asking $325 for this one...

However, right now, much of the price increases seems to really be an acceptance of the reduced value of the dollar after the government has printed so much money. I think that is what is keeping ammo prices high despite the reduced demand for metals, etc.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

3 Winchesters......bottom is a 1937 long Tang great shooter

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mod71alaska wrote: What I'd really like to do is take the boat south for a month along the Southern New England/mid-Atlantic coast and fish Sept/Oct. Maybe next year. Man, I hate it when I put things off!
Is that when I need to take my vacation :D ? You need a deck-hand and hook-baiter don't you?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Some real nice guns Kevin :mrgreen:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

madman4570 wrote:Some real nice guns Kevin :mrgreen:
+1

What's your comment on 71 values from up New Hampshire way, Kevin?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kevin in N.H.------Send me the model 56 Lyman. :D (Those are harder to find than Model 71 Winchesters)

Yea, (Oh BTW--is is "yea" or yeah"?) Mike D. and I come from the same era. We remember when these guns were cheap (at least the unengraved or like new examples were. :D We should have bought up a truckload of 'em---well, I'm sure we bought a trunkload ---trunkload NOT truckload :D . :D I did. I remember back in the seventies and early eighties eating peanut butter and jelly and my wife screaming at me-----but now..............she's grateful.-----bought her a new Jeep Unlimited last month on a forklift drivers salary.-----------Sixgun

I knew myself about 15 years ago I should have bought up all the Model 71's I laid eyes on but.......I was gettin' tired. Like NIB examples could be had for $500.-----------Sixgun

You younguns---buy now and enjoy the fruits of your labor in 30 years.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

"Kevin in N.H.------Send me the model 56 Lyman. :D (Those are harder to find than Model 71 Winchesters)"

Surely you are jesting, Sixgun; I know that you have more of those sights than I do. :lol:
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

A good indicator of prices is to look at past auctions... amoskeag auctions on line.....there are always 71s and they go for $1200 w/holes to $3500 and in between........condition is everything. dealers at shows want $1700 > for 4 holers........May 21 2011 Amoskeag catalog sold for prices 2 71 short tangs went for $2600

The mint 4 diget Deluxe w/bolt peep would bring 4K +++ maybe 5K.....and it sold for 3K? I couldn't get the money out fast enough......my 2 deluxes stay home (both short tangs) but the standard long tang hits the NH and Maine woods....even with my surgery this past July I will be out there with it.....my deluxe 64 in 32 is a little lighter but that 71 comes up and its just dead nuts on target....

The book is a pictorial reference and something for dealers to dry gulch your prize.....the prices do not refelect reality.

Even with the economy people w/money will pay top dollar for the "Best" and that beauty 1936 is just that......one of the best you will find....it kills me to see the scope mount holes on guns that will never be reproduced.....I am not knocking the Browning repros.....its just not a Winchester.

theres just something about a 71 long tang......grateful to have one all original with honest wear that I don't worry about when in the woods.

Kevin
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Amoskeag does have a 71 Deluxe, serial number 340, in their upcoming Sept 24th auction. :)
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I had a friend whose dad moved to Kodiak, Alaska in the late 1930s and became a brown bear guide. His rifle was a Winchester 71 s/n 219. That's the lowest 71 s/n I've personally seen. My friend was an avid hunter, including safaris in Africa, and was given that Winchester 71 by his dad before he died. He kept the rifle for a few years and sold it. I remember talking with him about keeping his dad's 71 for his son (his dad's grandson) but he said he didn't use it and he wasn't sentimental. Selling that Winchester 71 still makes me cringe today. Just goes to show we're all different.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Mike D.........the estimated prices......3500/4500......it will be interesting to see what happens this Saturday.....maybe I will go......its the day after my birthday, and I would not blink at 3k lie the other one.....man that sliding bolt peep is the nuts....both of my Deluxes are short tangs and one has a Lyman and the other is a Redfield......stay tuned as the prices ususlly come out on the following Wednesday....unless I buy it on Saturday (doubtful) as it has a good chance at 4K+.....k
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If it was me, Kevin, that auction would certainly be on my to-do list. I don't like phone or net bidding because the floor takes precedence over absentee bidding. I have found that out the hard way with RIA.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Well I didn't get to the auction but item 23 the 3 digit 71 sold for $4600.00......
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for the update Kevin.
Sincerely,

Hobie

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Hobie wrote:Yeah....

We have an example in the shop today. A late Jap bayonet in excellent condition. I had one, once upon a time, that I bought from Mrs. Kramer's antique shop in Bridgewater for $10 in 1971. My dad just shook his head. About 14 years ago all the accumulation of militaria to which I had no real connection was driving me nuts and I sold it for $150. We're asking $325 for this one...
If they sell it, I'll be glad to send up a few for consignment :)