Your dream six gun, lever gun combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Loke
Levergunner

Your dream six gun, lever gun combo

Post by Loke »

I've always had a hankering to put together a classic combo six gun/lever gun. There was the Ruger Single Six SSM/Marlin 32 H&R mag that I never got around to buying when both guns were in production. And the Winchester 92 with the octagon barrel in 41 mag to go along with a Ruger Blackhawk with a matching octagon barrel. Blued barrels with case colored receivers would look nice. Or a stainless Marlin to go with a 5 1/2 inch stainless Ruger Blackhawk in 44. Isn't there a Rossi Puma in 454 to match up with a Freedom Arms for when the dinosaurs return?
What combo would you build, or have you built?
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your dream six gun, lever gun combo

Post by rjohns94 »

I will soon have a Wild West Gun Co-pilot takedown, Marlin trapper in .44 mag, and it will pair with my S&W 629 3" Trail Boss, also in .44 mag. A marlin TDS .22lr paired with a freedom arms Premier 22lr/22mag was a nice combo. And an original 1886 in 45-70 with a FA Premier with a 475 Linebaugh was my "Alaska" combo. I had others in .45 colt, .357 too. Putting together such combos are very fun.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Here ya go. The ultimate wheelgun/levergun combo!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... on-410-45/
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Does it have to be the same caliber?

I'm a double action fan and i would pick a stainless 6" Colt Python paired with a tricked out WWG Guide Gun for a "non traditional" combo. Possibly a Smith Performance Center 8 shot TR revolver would be an acceptable substitute for the Colt as well

For a more traditional same caliber combo, i would pick a takedown Model 92 Trapper in .45 Colt paired with a Case colored (nickel would be nice also- not picky) New Frontier 7.5", also in 45 Colt - i like a long sight radius
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pisgah wrote:Here ya go. The ultimate wheelgun/levergun combo!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... on-410-45/

:oops: :oops: hanging my head in shame for looking at that :cry: :cry:
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bagged a Marlin 94P / .44 Mag on the cheap. Was my "Back door gun" for a couple years until the Ice Queen bugged out.

Looked through my stuff and asked myself, "what would really make her angry?". Spending $1400 on a
sixgun! So I sent off an OM Super Blackhawk with a four didgit SN# and no finish to Hamilton Bowen!
Turned out to be the sharpest Sixgun I've ever seen! And shot!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

That's a hard one.

If I had to answer right now, I'd say an 1894CSS and a S&W 686+. May not be ain't classic but it's got class.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

For me it would be an orginal Winchester 86, set up as a short light rifle, 348 cal, 22" round barrel, full magazine, straight grip, nice wood, checkered, color case hardened receiver, shotgun butt, Lyman 38 or 56 receiver sight, sling, and maybe some light engraving and gold inlays. Sixgun would be a Colt Single Action New Frontier set up with sights like a flat Top Target, 4 3/4" barrel 44 spl cal, one piece ivories or rosewood grips. A little engraving and gold inlays would work.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My dream one? A Winchester 1 of 1,000 Model 1873 in .44-40 with a 1st generation Colt 1873, also in .44-40 WCF. Both in mint condition, of course! 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm the rifle might have to be my circa 1966 Marlin 444 with the chopped barrel that I call my "Retro 444P" and my S&W 629 4" :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I used to think it was my 4" Smith 19 .357 Mag and my 94 .357 Trapper, but now it's my 1907 Win 92 32 WCF and a 1913 6" Colt Police Positive 32-20
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Top to bottom: Marlin 1895CB & BFR both in .45-70, Rossi & Super Blackhawk both in .44mag, another Rossi & Super Blackhawk in .44mag. Since photo was taken, I also added a Rossi & Blackhawk in .357.

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

This is the favorite one of mine. A Colt 4 3/4 SAA 1st generation and a Winchester Model 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine both in 38-40 and both made in the 20s. They are light, accurate, pretty flat shooting and easy to pack cartridges. We don't have any four or two legged varmints around the areas I hunt that these will not take care of.

"That'll Be The Day"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

rangerider7 wrote:This is the favorite one of mine. A Colt 4 3/4 SAA 1st generation and a Winchester Model 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine both in 38-40 and both made in the 20s. They are light, accurate, pretty flat shooting and easy to pack cartridges. We don't have any four or two legged varmints around the areas I hunt that these will not take care of.

you win :mrgreen:
i sure do like your displays. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here yuh go. Actualy I have two sets. One in 44 mag, a 5" model 29-2 S&W and a 92 browning in 44 mag, and a S&W 27-2 5" and rossi puma in 357. They fit the same holsters and scabards.

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Hmmmm...this is a tough one. If they have to be the same caliber for long gun and hand gun I've got two different combos. One for nostalgia/cool factor, and the other for serious woods bumming/hunting. If they don't have to be the same caliber, then I've already got my third dream combo, although I'd tweak it a bit.

1. A Turnbull restored '73 in 44-40 with a nice 1st gen Colt SAA to match.

2. A WWG Alaska Co Pilot in .45 Colt with a custom Ruger Bisley from Hamilton Bowen, or a Freedom Arms Model 97 in .45 Colt

3. I have this one - Marlin Guide Gun with a Dave Clements Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. I would send the Guide Gun to WWG for the Co Pilot conversion.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

chuck conners rifle, 92 carbine and a colt to match...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Colt SAAs & Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt

Colt Belt Models of 1851 and Uberti Henry, .36 cal and .45 Colt respectively

Got 1892s and Colts in .45 Colt and .38/.357. Can pair any of those with my couple of .30-30s, maybe the 1886 in .45-70. Guess I need more pics!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have several possible permutations that would serve well, but this works.

Or replace the Marlin with the short stroked '73 with the Cowboy .45 Special carrier.

As one gun manufacturer put it, even he doesn't get to go out hunting or shoot CAS with a gun converted using a carrier he developed, to shoot a round he developed. "That some guy did this in his garage (in truth a converted mower shed) is even more remarkable" For a moment I was actually speechless (a rare event, I can assure you). I'd never taken the time to think of it that way.
Certified gun nut
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pokey wrote:
rangerider7 wrote:This is the favorite one of mine. A Colt 4 3/4 SAA 1st generation and a Winchester Model 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine both in 38-40 and both made in the 20s. They are light, accurate, pretty flat shooting and easy to pack cartridges. We don't have any four or two legged varmints around the areas I hunt that these will not take care of.

Yes ---- Rangerider gets the nod from me as well ------ but for "cool factor" alone. I still like my caliber selections, but i will be dead and buried before a modern guide gun or 1892 variant gets the street cred a period correct 1892 and 1st gen SAA gets
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

More than two - but hard to beat:

CCW piece - DA Ruger SP-101 (.357 Mag)
Field handgun - SA Ruger Blackhawk (.357 Mag)
Carbine - Marlin 1894c (.357 Mag)
Rifle - Marlin 3360XLR (.35 Remington)

But if I couldn't have the "Rifle" and the separate "CCW" piece, I'd go 'up' to the .44 Mag caliber - Marlin 1894 & Ruger Redhawk:

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Streetstar wrote:
pokey wrote:

Yes ---- Rangerider gets the nod from me as well ------ but for "cool factor" alone. I still like my caliber selections, but i will be dead and buried before a modern guide gun or 1892 variant gets the street cred a period correct 1892 and 1st gen SAA gets
You guys keep stealing my thunder! Not only will I +1 all you guys above, but was thinking of the exact same combo before I read rangerider7's post, and I have never had a .38-40 anything, but sure have contemplated.
If new production or re-creation, I'd like my early NV .357 5.5 to be Bowen, Harton, Gallagher or Clementized (etc) into a .38-40/.40 combo, including proper chamfering, then Turnbull'd, mated with a Turnbull-restored. 1892 SRC just like rangerider7's. But Streetstar's right about the old originals having the street cred.

Still assuming like calibers--though I know you wouldn't have to--on more ofa budget (ie, going with what I have), I like my older Rossi (EMF) or Interarms SRC .44 Mag, with hoped for new walnut furniture or, and my .44 Sp NV--Turnbull'd of course--or .44 Mag, mated with my blue/cch Vaquero 44 Mag. The latter would maybe be free spin'd and Turnbull'd of course too.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My dream combo is one I finally settled on after years of combo's.

A 24" Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag and a 4 3/4" Ruger Flattop in .44 mag. Just the perfect twosome.

But then of late I've been using a 20" Marlin Cowboy and a 4 5/8" Ruger Flattop .44 Special. Seems like 90% of the time that is the two with me, of late. When it isn't hunting season a load (250 cast & 7 1/2gr Unique) that is light and quiet seems to be shot the most. Both guns love the load.

But then during deer and elk season my model 71 .348 combined with the .44 Special is a great duo as is my '86 45-70 with the same pistol.

Ahhh, so many combo's, so little time.... :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I agree that rangerider7's originals are beautiful but I see them more as displays rather than 'take out and shoot' guns. Those two are part of history and would be much too valuable for me to routinely take them out for a day of plinking. I know most of you here like the original guns and their rich, if largely unknown histories, and so you would disagree with me but you see, I'm not a collector. Collecting is for those of you with a passion for it or for museums. I'm glad that you do collect them to keep the history in tact but its never been my interest.

So, if I have it, I use it or I get rid of it to someone who can use it. I'm that way with everything and I guess it comes from my childhood where like many, we didn't have all that much. So I don't have a big collection but all the firearms I have get used routinely. As such, I'm more practical minded as I give the nod to a modern set chambered in 357mag. Its a very versatile caliber with economical commercial ammo readily available. Further, they are cheap to reload and the modern '92 clones and '73 SA clones allow me to actually shoot them as much as I like without fear of damaging a collector item.

My Rossi leverguns and Uberti SA are for shooting. If they break, I'll fix them. If they fail completely, I'll replace them. No history to destroy if they need work. They're for plinking, hunting, varmint control, target shooting, cowboy action games, or anything that just needs shooting. I don't have to worry about damaging them or destroying their value. So to me a dream set are just fun toys or ranch tools to be used rather than viewed so a modern set is my ideal.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As I stated earlier for me based on what I have now it would have to be my recently finished circa 1966 Retro 444P and my S&W 629 4" :wink:

Got my Galco holster in the pic as well !
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Savage 99 in .300 Sav. and Old model Ruger Single Six .22LR/.22Mag.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

COSteve I understand what you are saying but for me the feel of the new stuff being put out is just not right. I do take a couple of custom (5 1/2, 7 1/2 SA) Cimarron's out often, also I take a Winchester 9422 mag with them. They feel pretty good. I will stick with my dream six gun, lever gun combo as my choice. I'm 66 and I'm going to be the one wearing them out not some stranger they are sold to after I die. :D

"That'll Be The Day"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rangerider7 wrote:COSteve I understand what you are saying but for me the feel of the new stuff being put out is just not right. I do take a couple of custom (5 1/2, 7 1/2 SA) Cimarron's out often, also I take a Winchester 9422 mag with them. They feel pretty good. I will stick with my dream six gun, lever gun combo as my choice. I'm 66 and I'm going to be the one wearing them out not some stranger they are sold to after I die. :D
Rangerider7, don't get me wrong, your outfits are gorgeous! Impressive to stunning from the pictures you've posted in the 2+ years I've been on the site, but I believe by your posts that you are an avid collector and a shooter rather that an avid shooter and collector. As I said above, I've never been much of a collector, I am more of a user so what I own I use.

In truth, even though I'm only 2 years younger, I just have neither the funds nor the inclination to take true classic firearms and shoot the snot out of them as I do with my Rossis. I guess if I had unlimited funds I'd consider getting old guns in the old calibers, reloading for them, shooting them a bit, and displaying them as you've done (if the wife would let me :lol: ) but I have to be more practical with my resources. You could say that my dreams and tastes are driven in large part by my resources.

I've been a pilot for 40+ years and actually got to fly from the back seat (vs fly in) what to me is the finest example of a single engine prop driven fighter, a P-51 airplane, many, years ago. I love the lines and could fly one every day if I could. However, I've never dreamed of actually owning one because they are very expensive to operate. Its not that I don't think its worth having, its just that obtaining it and then maintaining it financially has always been totally out of the question so I don't allow myself to lust over one; admire them yes, but lust over them no.

That's really all my post was trying to convey. I like to live in a world of the possible, not the impossible and as far as guns go, I have a limited budget to enjoy them with and that's where I try to keep my dreams. Besides, if I bugger up one of my Rossis I then get the opportunity to work on it (which I also enjoy) without the fear of diminishing it's value.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I see what your saying COsteve. Those last two photos are of Cimarrons though. I'm a retired teacher/coach so my funds in retirement are limited too. It took a long time to get the guns I have and I don't take the old ones every time I go to the lease, which is a couple of times a week. I had a 1873 Uberti, a 1892 SRC from Cactus Jack's in Fredericksburg, and a Rossi 92 a few years ago and they just didn't feel the same. I traded them all off. I don't target shoot. I call and shoot mostly predators and Turkey hunt every year. Some years I take a cull buck and love dove season. Basically we just do it different. No problem, that's what makes the world go around. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

If it has to be the same cartridge in each weapon, I reckon I will settle for my absolute favorite sixgun, my first GP100, early 1990s-era 4" stainless with adjustable sights, and pair it with a Rossi '92 I will borrow from my wife. While a GP100 may be a rather modern weapon, this one was my duty sixgun one night in 1993, when I came in first place in a contest with no second place winner.* The original GP100 factory grip is perfect for my hands, and I tend to shoot reliably well with this sixgun.

I consider a pistol-cartridge rifle to be rather utilitarian, so I don't own one of my own at this time.

I would much rather pair a sixgun with a rifle that shoots a true rifle cartridge. My 19th-Century combo would be a .45 Colt SAA, or replica thereof, and a Winchester 1895 Carbine in .30-40 Krag, or the Mirokuchester replica. I have Colt and USFA sixguns; the Winchester is on the short list for a future purchase. Until then, a modern Browning BLR in .308 Winchester will have to do.

*The words "no second place winner" borrowed from the late, great Bill Jordan's book title.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Loke wrote:I've always had a hankering to put together a classic combo six gun/lever gun. There was the Ruger Single Six SSM/Marlin 32 H&R mag that I never got around to buying when both guns were in production..."
Gee, I guess I'm a happy camper 'cause I finally succeeded at putting that exact combo together -- but you have made me realize...
Single-Six 32 H&R 01 (Medium).jpg
Marlin 1894 CB-32 Mag 01 (Medium).jpg
Now I need a new dream!!!

So how about this boys & girls.....................

Any rifle & handgun from Kirk's collection ? ? ?

Proper & Customary compensation paid in full, of course! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rexster wrote:I consider a pistol-cartridge rifle to be rather utilitarian, so I don't own one of my own at this time. I would much rather pair a sixgun with a rifle that shoots a true rifle cartridge.
That's a good point, and one of the reasons I like my 'quartet' that includes the .35 Remington rifle with the .357 Mag handgun(s). They do share caliber, but one is a true rifle cartridge.

Then there's 6pt-sika's approach using the .444 Marlin and .44 Magnum . . . a whole lotta POWER in those irons... 8) 8)

Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Not a dream, savage 99 in 250 or 300 works for a saddlegun and hunting and can reach out and take a animal at distance with some glass on it for a sixgun I prefer a 22/22mag. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45 Colt clones -

or

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rexster,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. A true, complete battery is made up of guns that fulfil different ranging requirements. As I was taught in the military, optimal engagement with the enemy should occur at the longest possible distance. Why they taught me knife-fighting techniques points up the ineffectual fulfillment of one's goals; or maybe it was the fallicy of relying on "military intelligence". (Actually it was something different, but that doesn't support my point here; let's just say that sometimes operational integrity requires a hands-on element). However, back to the subject, while one can seldom rely on solely their intelligence gathering, their tactics have proven flawless. Therefore, a rifle caliber rifle, pistol and knife has always been what I carry hunting, except for that period when I had to ride around in a marked SO car! :P They made me give up the long range tactical advantage for a shotgun.

With all that said, there's often a secondary consideration when hunting only involves short ranges. Commonality of ammo. While the pistol round substantially decrease the range that allow engagment, a rifle in such a caliber offers a significant sighting advantage over a handgun.

I read somewhere that the .44WCF had the record as being the cartridge accounting for the most deer taken in this country well into the 1930's, when it was eclipsed by the .30WCF. While it had a 22 year headstart, it's success in the field should not be taken lightly. I just have to take a new picture of my dream combo... as I've owned a set since the mid-70's when I got out of the service.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Your dream six gun, lever gun combo is:

Mine is a dream because half of it was never made. I have it designed and could make it if the funds and tools were available.

So here it is:

Revolver; Old Model Ruger BH .45 Colt with the 4 5/8" barrel. An original XR3 grip frame substituted for the XR3-RED it would come with.
This half is easy, all I need for it is money.

Rifle; Picture in your mind a late 1800s or early 1900s Winchester 1894 SRC. Now, picture it chambered for .45 Colt.
It has never been built as a complete unit. I know what parts are needed and can build it myself. Someday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

For heavy loads. Could switch the grip for Joe.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

For my "dream" combo, I was thinking a 44-40 or 38-40 combo of some sort. There is a perfect example of this somewhere in this thread.... :roll: :) :)

What I'd like is a Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag to go with a chopped OM Super Blackhawk that I've got (was cut down to 5'').

But then I got to thinking, I'd probably like TWO sixguns in this combo--two sixguns and one levergun. So that would mean getting another OM Super and having it cut to a 5'' bbl. to match the one I've got. Which would be fine, of course, but if I'm going through that much trouble I might as well get two OM Supers and have them cut to 5.5'', which I think I would like better.

It's a slippery slope.

Rob
NRA
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

A 1894 saddle ring carbine chambered in the .338 marlin. An 1851 colt chambered in .357 :shock: , settle for .38 special.
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

Here's one that I'll probably never see. A Ruger SingleSix SSM reworked with a to a wildcat that I have dreamed up, but never built. It is a .277 caliber (I'm a bit of a 270 fanatic) based on a blown out, shortened 22 Hornet case. Custom cast flat point lead bullet of around 70 grains should get to about 1100 to 1200 fps. Envision a downsized 32 H&R. I'm not sure if a Marlin 39 or a Winchester 9422 could be converted to centerfire, but it would make an interesting project. A Winchester model 90 (or 06, 61, 62 et al) would also be an interesting alternative to a levergun.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

Man I must be a easy to please person, I just want a Marlin 1894 Trapper in .357, and a new model Vaquero 4 5/8 .357 to go with it.

Would make me a happy bear. :mrgreen:
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Of the ones I own, in the same caliber....
Win 94 Trapper and Ruger Vaquero in 44 mag

Different calibers....
Winchester 1886 45-70 and Colt SAA in 44

Dreaming....
The Billy the Kid duo - Pre-1880 Winchester 1873 and Colt 1877 Lightning DA
Chad
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

I had to think on this one. Of the guns I currently own:

If they were to be both of the same caliber, I would choose my original Winchester 92, made in 1900 in 44-40 and one of my Uberti smoke house clones with 5 1/2 barrel. They both handle a 240 gr bullet just fine. But the 205's shoot a tad easier.

But if the caliber could be different between them, I would have to say My Winchester 86 SRC in 45-70 and one those same smoke house pistols. or one of my USAF's in 45 colt.

I do believe that if you're going to have a big bore rifle like that, better the 44-40 for close up. Its easier to handle, but the 45 colt has a lot of authority behind it.

Decisions ... decisions.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I have the revolvers, a 4" S&W 624 and a 5.5" Ruger Bisley flat top .44 spl.
Now I just need the 19" Cimarron '73 carbine, unless I can talk them into chambering the 16" model in .44 spl.
Don't want a .44 magnum, has to be a special, I'm fussy that way.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My dream combo wont be what most guys would choose. I love the .32-20, so my combo is my original 1894 Marlin with 28" barrel, and my Colt SAA with 4 3/4" barrel, both in .32-20.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote:My dream combo wont be what most guys would choose. I love the .32-20, so my combo is my original 1894 Marlin with 28" barrel, and my Colt SAA with 4 3/4" barrel, both in .32-20.
I've always thought that with a .32-20 and a .45 Colt chambered in modern-steel guns, you'd have it all covered pretty well! The .32-20 can be loaded down to .22 Mag levels or up to mild .357 Mag levels, and the .45 Colt can cover from there on 'up' to anything you'd want to shoot out of a handgun. Maybe a 'big' rifle if you're in bear or buffalo country.

So yes, I think the .32-20 combination would be just dandy!

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This one might be my second choice !

Thats a circa 1972 Marlin "New Model 1895" in 45-70 !

The handgun I would put with it is also a 44 MAG and at the moment I don't have a picture , but I do own the gun . It's a circa 1957 Ruger Blackhwak "Flattop" 44 MAG with a 6 1/2" barrel !
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My combo a little heavy but very accurate, Co-pilot and a 5 shot .45 colt with a slightly longer cylinder for heavier bullets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

It would be easy to come up with a very attractive package, or one using vintage guns but since this "dream-team" is one great dependance would be placed on I'm going with my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt, and by a slight edge my S&W SS Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. I chose the S&W over one of my Ruger Blackhawks because in a SD scenario it is much faster to reload. It can handle a modest diet of anything the Blackhawk will, and the rifle can handle most anything imaginable for a 45 Colt round. Just my 2 cents worth, and as always your mileage may vary.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Loke wrote:Here's one that I'll probably never see. A Ruger SingleSix SSM reworked with a to a wildcat that I have dreamed up, but never built. It is a .277 caliber (I'm a bit of a 270 fanatic) based on a blown out, shortened 22 Hornet case.
I think that is a round over on AmmoGuide.com, and it did in fact spark my interest.

Really, when it comes down to it, a 'small, medium, or large' question is very appropriate for most firearms questions, and the 'medium' may in fact be well-filled by one of the .277 offerings... 8)