OT - The HEAT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - The HEAT

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I didn't realize until today how much outta shape or old I am !

It was in the high 90's today in the shade at my house and I just got my bush hog back !

So after an early lunch I went out in the hottest part of the day and rode that *** for almost 5 hours . Now I drank a fair amount of water and unsweetened iced tea . But by the time I got back to the house I thought I was gonna loose my lunch !

Took a cool shower and after that I felt fine !

The effort I will go to , to get the trails in my woods ready for hunting season :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - The HEAT

Post by FWiedner »

Careful.

Many are the middle aged fellows who thought they could tough it out.

... until they had that darn heart-attack.

:wink:
Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I was just thinking today, Dove season starts in about 6 weeks.
Though one of my favorite seasons, if still at 98 + deg. me and
Miss Parker girl will be remaining in the A/C :)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Just spent 11 hours in a steel mill. Thank God for central air and cold beer 8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Y'all are getting our heat...we have not had summer yet....maybe a few days of low seventies.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Its very depressing here in Oklahoma too ---- my occupation (insurance adjuster) requires me to be outside sometimes for hours , measuring things and taking pictures of storm damages ---

Lately i have had to carry 2 extra shirts with me and on the worst days i try to be done with field work by noon or so. Then i go home and take a nap ---- nice, but not my usual behavior

Even with a cooler full of water and gatorade , the heat can still overcome guys who are not quite "in their prime" anymore
----- Doug
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

BlaineG wrote:Y'all are getting our heat...we have not had summer yet....maybe a few days of low seventies.
You, sir, are so cruel :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Spent almost 5 hours Monday afternoon working on wifies truk. I was totally drenched in sweat at 9:30 when I staggered in. Wifie had to finish picking up the rugs and things I had out. It took me an hour to rest up so I could take a shower. Lots of water, and yes unsweetened tea and I still felt as if I could barf.

Well, I won't tell the MD about it but I survived.

If I'd wanted to live in this kind of heat/humidity I would have stayed in Phoenix. Oh wait, Phx is actually better than this.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

It's not the heat it's the...

Wait a minute, it is the heat.

Took the dogs outside to tug couple more pounds of hair out of the Sheltie. After combing walked over to admire the tomato plants. Dogs already back at the door, looking at me, waiting to be let in.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Y'all are getting our heat...we have not had summer yet....maybe a few days of low seventies.
quit braggin! :wink:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Phooey on you!!! :evil:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWiedner wrote:Careful.

Many are the middle aged fellows who thought they could tough it out.

... until they had that darn heart-attack.

:wink:
Well I do have a congenital heart murmur :!:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:I was just thinking today, Dove season starts in about 6 weeks.
Though one of my favorite seasons, if still at 98 + deg. me and
Miss Parker girl will be remaining in the A/C :)

We'll start bear/deer hunting with DCP's on a friends peach/apple orchard in the next week or so !

Think the evening I popped the bear last year the temp was at about 96 and that was a cool streak compared to the first day we went last year !
104 degree's IN THE SHADE !
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Things are warming up here on the coast...I know yall hate :D CA anyways so here goes.. last night was the first time I've had the electric blanket off at night for a spell, mainly cause the fog didn't come in...Today was 78 here under the redwoods... Looks another scorcher here tonight too....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Not to bad here in florida....highs in the low 90s
much cooler in the shade.....and on the beach...

I walked through the Walmart parking lot....
and thought I was in an oven...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Yep, went shooting about three weekends ago. Talk about warm! You could see the heat from the sun rising from the barrel on the rifle when trying to aim, and i haven't even shot the thing yet. I think i will wait a while to shoot the levers, just stick to the sa till temps come back down a bit. :shock:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Packed up last night for a range trip today, but now they promise a high of 100 feeling like 122 with the humidity so I decided to stay home today and catch up on some reloading, too old for those temps especially as it makes it so hard to breathe. :( :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Borregos wrote:Packed up last night for a range trip today, but now they promise a high of 100 feeling like 122 with the humidity so I decided to stay home today and catch up on some reloading, too old for those temps especially as it makes it so hard to breathe. :( :(

I know what you mean !

I usually hit the range 1-3 times each week !

If I don't go thru this weekend it'll make two weeks straight I've not been !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Can't get out and much after 10:00 am here in northeast Oklahoma. Weather man says 105 today and tomorrow, 104 Saturday and Sunday and maybe down to 99 on Monday then right back up again. Just west of Tulsa, the drought is as bad as the mid thirties only temps are not quite as high as then. Most record highs were set in 1934, 35 or way back in 1911.
Did you see the pictures of the dust storm in Phoenix?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Few days ago it was in the low 90s and I spent about 4 hours pushing a push type 21" mower. Without previous conditioning doing this and gatorade I might have had a problem. Couple of years ago I was cutting-up a tree we'd removed from the yard, hot day early in the summer and I didn't take water to the woods where I dragged the tree. Got to where I had to rest often and gave me some concern. Several years before that I was cutting down a tree and had the same problem only a little worse. I HAD to come into the house and rest for a few minutes.

So....like some here have said--BE CAREFUL. I really think that Gatorade helped me more than the iced tea I normally drink.

I read this hot spell compares to one we had in 1995 so they, thankfully, don't happen too often. Forecast says another day or two and then a very gradual decrease in temperature. Maybe some hard rains to "break the spell." I'm in SW Indiana. All this hot is moving east so it will have effected a large portion of the country before it's over.

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWIW, it seems like there are no reports of electric brown or black outs this year. I surly hope they are increasing generating capacity as carbon energy gets more and more expansive. I never thought I'd see the day that my four electric space heaters would be cheaper than propane to heat my house for the last couple years :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

WIMPS. My wife and I laid a brick patio on Sunday in 110 degree heat. It took us 9 hours. WIMPS.

:D

One of the best benefits of an Arizona summer is you get the entire shooting range or desert all to yourself. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Idiot wrote:WIMPS. My wife and I laid a brick patio on Sunday in 110 degree heat. It took us 9 hours. WIMPS.

One of the best benefits of an Arizona summer is you get the entire shooting range or desert all to yourself. :D
Hmmmph....bet it was a dry heat. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Been in Chicago all week and I have to say it's worse than Tucson. The humidity always gets me, but the temps are up in Tucson territory as well! I'm sweating/stinking like a horse and not liking it one bit.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

As Blaine said, you guys are getting our heat!

Some guy in Seattle looked up and tallied the output of the University of Washington weather station which measures the temperature every minute.

So far this summer (??) it has been above 80 degrees for a total of 78 minutes. Yep - 78 minutes!! That occurred over 2 days. 66 minutes one day, and 12 minutes another day. It has been a little warmer here, but you know it has been cool when you think you need AC at 65 degrees! :roll:

You guys be careful in that heat! :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Went back out about three hours ago and gave the bush hog some more work !

The thermometer "said" 100 when I went outside !

Only stayed out 2 hours this time so it wasn't so bad !
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

BlaineG wrote:
Idiot wrote:WIMPS. My wife and I laid a brick patio on Sunday in 110 degree heat. It took us 9 hours. WIMPS.

Hmmmph....bet it was a dry heat. :wink:
Yep, parched. :wink:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Yes, it's warm and warm in a lot of places.

But I seem to recall it was warm last year, and year before that. And year before that.

From the bleating of the news people with their herd mentality in reporting one would think we're all prostrate on sun baked alkali flats, eyes blinded by the light, lips parched and dropping like flies.

This just has the feel of a slow news cycle to me.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

In the DFW area we're coming up on 20 consecutive days of 100F+, 25 or 26 days total since June with no rain to speak of. Reminds me of the summer of 1980.

Funny, in '80 I was 9 and would ride my bike around the neighborhood and play all day. Now it's a beating just walking to the truck after work. Maybe 31 years and 150+ pounds have taken a toll after all... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

awp101 wrote: Maybe 31 years and 150+ pounds have taken a toll after all... :lol:

I was about 175-180 until I was about 38 . Now I am in days of being 50 and am at 235 !

And YES IT DOES TAKE IT'S TOLL :lol: :lol: :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It got to us about 3/4 days ago. This Sucks.

We spend a week at our cabin in PA every summer, usually around the end of June and it's always
near perfect weather. For one reason or another we had to go later this year.
Headed up yesterday. It was 94 when we got there. Its never 94 up there!
Didn't cool down until early morning and that wasn't much of a difference. On top of that there was very little water
coming down the hill ( our water source) and the band of hillbillies that own the
cabin next to us showed up in droves.

Took a vote this morning, go home or try one more day.
It was a unanimous "go home".
I hated to go but everyone was miserable and I was really worried about the dogs.
Lucy our Great Dane didn't stop panting all night. Now she and the other dogs are sound asleep.

I hate this stuff!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

2ndovc wrote:It got to us about 3/4 days ago. This Sucks.

We spend a week at our cabin in PA every summer, usually around the end of June and it's always
near perfect weather. For one reason or another we had to go later this year.
Headed up yesterday. It was 94 when we got there. Its never 94 up there!
Didn't cool down until early morning and that wasn't much of a difference. On top of that there was very little water
coming down the hill ( our water source) and the band of hillbillies that own the
cabin next to us showed up in droves.

Took a vote this morning, go home or try one more day.
It was a unanimous "go home".
I hated to go but everyone was miserable and I was really worried about the dogs.
Lucy our Great Dane didn't stop panting all night. Now she and the other dogs are sound asleep.

I hate this stuff!!!

jb 8)
It's bad enough on us two-leggeds, but you gotta really feel for the four legged critters, many of whom have only the tongue to get rid of heat (short-hairs have the ears too to help at times). In Arizona, I also still see horses in corrals (some mere pens) without decent--or any-- shade. There's no excuse. I don't even own a horse (but am a horse lover) and I can't tell you what punishment I want to see dealt the miscreants that'd do that to a horse (or any critter). But then, I also still see about half the folk out there walking around without a hat on in this stuff--so we're not the smartest species perhaps when it comes even to caring for ourselves!
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

It is hot here too, guys.
Middle TN ~ 100 for the highs. It was 78 this morning at 0542 when I left for work.
Going to pickup some square bales in the morning (but not many).
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Supposed to be hotter here saturday !

And we need to go up and check treestand locations at the orchard because our permits come out next week !

This year I only have one climber up there so it'll be easy to move if need be and easy to bring out if I get fed up with the heat !
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The real bummer is I've been motivated enough to get out in the garage and handle some projects but you can easily add 10-15 degrees to the outside temp. I tend to lose motivation quick, fast and in a hurry at 110-117 degrees... :shock:

The upside is I haven't had to mow in about three weeks since I'm only watering enough to keep the foundation in good condition. :lol:
6pt-sika wrote:
awp101 wrote: Maybe 31 years and 150+ pounds have taken a toll after all... :lol:

I was about 175-180 until I was about 38 . Now I am in days of being 50 and am at 235 !

And YES IT DOES TAKE IT'S TOLL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, at 39 I'm running between 215-220. This is really urging me to start losing weight. And quitting smoking. And eating better.

As the Rolling Stones said: What a drag it is getting old. :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Amen,
weed/grass cut over 3 miles of Log road yesterday (temp got to 107 degrees) took 5.5hrs using a stihl hand held brush cutter.
Still got miles left to do.(drank 2 gallons of water in those 5.5 hrs.) :lol:
Then went for a 3 mile hike with wife at dusk and skinny dipping in creek :o
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let's put it this way. This past week I drove up to NJ and drove all nite to arrive at the Air Force base about 3am local time. When I checked in, they told me it'd be "awhile" before they could unload my freight. So I backed up to the unloading gizmo (complicated affair that allows my freight to roll outta the van and onto their transfer station) shut the truck down, rolled down the windows, leaned back the reclining driver's seat, propped my feet up on the steering, opened my book and promptly went to sleep. About 0830, the airman came up knocked on the side of the truck and said I was all empty. (Takes 5 minutes or so once they start)!

So, scooted up, started the truck and pulled up, closed up the cab, and climbed out to close the trailer doors. When I got back in... lo and behold! There wasn't a breath of air coming out of the vents! Checked the fan switch... on full, settings on controls... correct... NO A/C! Called truckstop, no joy, they're not allowed to work "inside the dashboard". Onto the 'net and look up KW dealers... closest one is 25 miles north. Called... "can you get me in today?" Yes, but if they had to order parts, it'd be later, maybe Friday or so before they could fix it. OK, not a problem... with a heat index of 113º I don't do without A/C!

A new blower motor and $400 later (replaced the fresh air filter & checked the whole system), I was back in business!

Yes, it's hot. See link below:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:

Amen,
weed/grass cut over 3 miles of Log road yesterday (temp got to 107 degrees) took 5.5hrs using a stihl hand held brush cutter.
Well judjing by your foum names it doesn't surprise me :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:
madman4570 wrote:

Amen,
Well judjing by your foum names it doesn't surprise me :lol:

:lol: :oops:

hey, today starting out on a morning hike with wifey and pups while just getting started the wife said (you kinda look today like that guy that played in the movie where the 4 guys went on a rafting trip ,the one with all that banjo picking music.

I said looking down at my cut off camo shorts and wife beater shirt(I proudly said "Bert Reynolds"?)
She said "noooooooo,the guy that wanted to make the other guy squeal. (hey at least it wasn't the other one? :lol: )