410 Shotshells in the 45/70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

410 Shotshells in the 45/70?

Post by leveractionjunkie »

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15899 I just read this on another forum. Looks to me like the guy was using 2 1/2" .410 shotshells in his guide gun, has anyone here tried this? I can't see it being a huge problem but I was just wondering about it. Does it have to be 2 1/2" ? can you use 3"? is it even worth it?

Thanks for the help
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

I have heard of doing this for what seems like all my life - or at least from back in the '60's. Have heard several persons tell me the worked pretty good in the slow twist barrels for the .45-70's.
Personally, never tried it. Found the 410 difficult enough in a smooth bore. Why make a marginal performer even more difficult?
Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've tried them in Marlin and Browning 45-70's. They don't always extract well, the extractor can slip over the rim of the smaller 410 shell, then you have to manually extract it as best you can. The other issue is the rifled barrel tends to spread the shot pattern pretty fast, and makes a hole in the center of the pattern. The practical effective range seems to be about 15 feet before the pattern opens up and gets thin. You may be able to kill small game or birds father than that, but if you realisticaly look at the pattern density, it's mainly luck in my experience.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

old trapdoor

Post by Hillbilly »

An old uncle of mine had a Springfeild trapdoor he found in the barn rafters when he was a kid... back in the early 30's.... it was in pretty good shape for the years

The bore was pitted pretty bad... he'd let us run a few .410 through it just to make it go "boom".

I was about 12 then.... I'd estimate the .410 in that old rifle to be minute of beer can at 30 yards or so.

Modern day..at over $7 a box for .410 I dont know why anybody would run em in a guide gun... unless it's just for giggles.
~Hill
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've used my Springfield Trapdoors for turkey hunting using .410 shot, it works. Tried it once in a '86, the 2 3/4" worked...ok, just cycle carefully.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have shot the 2.5 inch .410s in a Thompson Center Contender in 45/70.

The extractor always slipped over the rim and I had to dig them out with a knife.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I just wish that I could find .410 shells at $7 a box. Ever once in a great while I may find them at $9 but it seems to get #6s you have to spend around $11 or 12 per box of 25. I would be a little worried about shooting them through a rifle that I thought very much of, old .410s can be bought CHEAP, 45-70s cant.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

"Hock Shop" Load

Post by Texican »

I've got an old reloading manual that lists a .45-70 "Hock Shop" load. It's a light charge with 3 stacked lead balls in the case, crimped on the last one. Any of y'all have any experience with that one?
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

i was given a Hepburn #3 half octagonal barrel rifle and an 1888 Trapdoor Springfield by my grandfather's brother ( he also gave me my first horse) in the early 1930s - both in 45-70. I lived out in the sandhills of Nebraska and ammo choices were limited so I shot .410 shells in both and had a ball. Effective range was limited without choke but I did in some prairie dogs and unwary rabbits with them.

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I shot 410's in my friend's Ttapdoor when we were kids. Worked OK on rabbits if the distance wasn't too far.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Now I have to go and buy a box of 410s.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I DO have two .45 Colts that say right on the barrel ".45 Colt or .410 Shotshell" - a Contender, and a Rossi/Braztech breakopen.

I know the .45 Colt loads group at about 8" at 20 yards out of the long gun, so I suspect the 'jump' to the rifling is a serious issue with that setup. Maybe a longer cartridge like a .45-70 would avoid that issue at least. I thought about trying to find long brass and making special .410-length rifle loads loaded up like the .45 Colt's only in longer brass.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Back in the darages,I use to load 45-70 brass with a shot load.It was Wyoming jack rabbit effective at about 20yds, A real PITA to load for , but it was fun to work out a load. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

.45-70 Birdshot

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I also had a H&R Handy Gun - .410 pistol (yep- NFA gun and registered) with a 12" barrel that gave me about the same range - some 20 yards with a good shot - as the 45-70 rifles did.

The .22 single shot rifle I got for my 6th birthday in 1932 did a better job, however -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OJ wrote: The .22 single shot rifle I got for my 6th birthday in 1932 did a better job, however -
It seems like you lived in the best times this country ever had; wonder if we'll ever see times like that again!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

AJMD429 wrote:
OJ wrote: The .22 single shot rifle I got for my 6th birthday in 1932 did a better job, however -
It seems like you lived in the best times this country ever had; wonder if we'll ever see times like that again!
Sadly, I doubt we will. I could walk down main street (well - a town of 115 only has one street) with my .22 and my dog and only would get standard greetings - no big deal for me or them. Despite the problems of the 1930 depression days, I had a good life for which I still appreciate. It sure wasn't all bad as is portrayed today. I'm grateful for the life that was dealt me.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER