Who has ALL they NEED? NOT want, NEED?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Who has ALL they NEED? NOT want, NEED?

Post by J Miller »

I'm just sitting here thinking :roll: and trying to stay active, mentally anyway, and this thought came to me:

Who has every gun they NEED?

So I thought about it and here is what I came up with.

.22's, I'm covered there + extras. I have a good quality lever gun in my 9422, and three pistols.

.357's, I've got two revolvers there, but no rifle. I don't really use the .357s so they could go for trade bait if I really needed two. Well maybe not, Mrs. J Miller would take offense at that so lets just give them to her.

.45's. I'm covered there x 2. Two lever guns and two revolvers.

Hunting rifles, I'm covered there too. I have my Marlin MR7.
Battle rifles, I'm covered there with my Enfields. They maybe obsolete, but they work.

Shotguns, there I'm in need. Currently I do not have a shot gun. I'm in the mood for a good solid pump 12 guage.

Without going into really great details, Who here has all they need?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Missing one need. A Stainless Guide-gun/.45-70 for those times when/where the .357 just isn't enough.

I'm good otherwise.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I'm just barely covered, but I guess I'm covered.
Last edited by edwardyoung on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Joe, until I got through your list I thought I had it covered! The .357 is the workhorse for me, I have 4, 2 rifles & 2 pistols. Two 44's, 1 long and 1 short; 5 shotguns (You don't have a shotgun?), 3- 20's and 2- 12's; 5- 22's made up of 3 rifles and 2 pistols;Hunting rifles- the .357 and .44 carbines fill the bill there, most (98%) shots at big game are under 50 yards here, most are 25-30 yds. I also have a sporterized Mosin-Nagant m44 carbine in 7.62 x 54 and a brand-spankin'-new Marlin 30-30. And 2 inline muzzleloaders. A S&W m-67 in .38 spl and a Star PD .45 auto.

But, I don't have a battle rifle, having sold the AR-15 a couple years back. I need to rectify that. Not that the M-N carbine wouldn't work, or the Marlins, but it's hard to beat a good 30 cal combat rifle, gonna' have to check out the M-1's at CMP this summer at Camp Perry.

As always, there is WANT :P , and there is NEED :cry: ; do I need 4- .357's, probably not, but it's nice. "Need" is a relative thing, don't you see? :D

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have way more than i need. now's here what i want. 1895 src repo in 30-06 at a decnt price. 92 clone, 16" barrel, .357mag. 1887 12 ga. lever shotgun. colt .22 peacemaker. reproduction functioning blunderbuss. henry.22.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I still need a thumper (45-70), and a .22 hand gun, and a 45lc/454 Ruger Alaskan Revolver for my bow hunts in Grizzly country. The ones I want are a completely different story.........
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

This is not even a fair question. I have all I 'need' by a large margin. But not cloes to all I want.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Geeze guys, the question was not about "wants", it was who has all they "need". I don't even have all I want.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Other than to get running water into the house, I have everything I *need*!!

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Pitts on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

J Miller wrote:Geeze guys, the question was not about "wants", it was who has all they "need". I don't even have all I want.

Joe
I guess I am also guilty of a prolonged answer to your question Joe, heres a shorter version........"Not Me"
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

Joe, I've had all I need for sometime now. From 22's to 45's to 308's and then some. I'm sorry you don't have a shotgun. Where you live, they almost rule everything else out. darn shame!:shock:

I have a single shot H&R 20 gauge my brother gave me (imp cylinder), that I'd be proud to give to you if you could meet me half way from Nashville. Say the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot this spring? I't would be okay for rabbits, squirrel, and quail. Might even get you out of one of those moods you get into once in a while :D

Holler back,
Papa
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I am lucky or insane. I could outfit several squads of guys. I can convice myself I need several more but not moraly. Think I have about 15 fine rifles, 3 or 4 shotguns and 30 + handguns. Majority are old winchesters followed by classic smith & wessons and colts. None are junk, well maybe 2 relic handguns.
Here is the sad part. While I am probley still a good enough shot to defend myself, I am not one part as accurate as years ago. I just had major surgery. I am recouperateing from haveing my nose cut off due to skin cancer that got away after about 15 operations over 22 years.
I still have more surgerys scheuled to look half way normal again. I almost died a few weeks ago when everything let go and I almost bled out. I have developed sever tremers from it where I have to hold a glass with both hands to drink. I am hopeing when I recouperate more that it will go away. The thing is it seems to be a genetic thing as my dads side of a big family almost all of them when they got old and seem to shake. My dad really shook bad in later years, and I always heard that grandma had to shave grandpa he shook so bad. If I dont get better I may be selling a lot of guns! Sorry if I got carried away.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I still don’t have a Pterodactyl gun or a dedicated Hippopotamus rifle either. :D
When my accumulation went over 50, I thought I was near the end of the NEED list but is goes on and on. Oh well, what can I say? I`ll just keep feeding the NEED. :wink:
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

I went past "need" a long time ago :oops:
I have more than I can stay familiar with, but can't seem to let any go.
But, I havent bought a new one for two weeks. :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have all I need and right now, all I want. Here is the list:

.54 Flintlock (need for late season muzzleloader)
.50 Sharps 3-band BP 1863 (need for the soul!}
.45 ROA Horse Pistol (need for when carrying the .50 sharps)
1886 in 45-70 (need for N. American Big game)
39 TDS (need for small game, plinking)
Sig 220 .45 (need for home/CCW)
S&W 317 .38+P (need for everyday CCW)
S&W .22lr high viz (need for woods carry in backpack)
Freedom arms .22lr/.22mag - (need for small game when carrying 1886)
Fredom arms .454/45 LC/ .45 ACP - (need for big game when carrying 39TDS)
Springfield SOCUM II - Need for when the Stuff hits the fan.
Winchester 71 .348 - Need as a backup for N. American Big Game
12ga Hammergun by Midland (need for small game, upland game)

Extra: 1894P .44 mag - For sale

Thats it, thats all I have, all I need, all I want.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I have all I need!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

I also need a new shotgun. I'm having a hard time deciding what I would like to get. I could also probably justify the need for a small caliber handgun for target practice, but that is really not a pressing need. I do have a lot of wants though.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I have way more than I need, for which I am truly grateful. As a suburbanite whose hunting days are mostly behind him, need becomes pretty subjective anyway.
Well done is better than well said.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

sorry joe, didn't mean to hijack the post, to throw a want's list out there for anybody looking to unload a gun that they don't want, that i might. yeah, right. if u have a 30-30, it's all u need , if you can shoot, for all game, self defense ,whatever, it will do just fine.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

wants-needs

Post by brucew44guns »

I got a new house all paid for 2 years ago. You guys will find that your gun budget will get a boost when you're not laying out huge mortgage payments anymore. For 2 years I bought every gun I thought I needed before retiring. If I had the HI Grades in Rifle and Carbine of the Browning 1886's, I would be done. I may be done ayhow, here come's my wife to see what I'm doing!!!
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've pretty much got all I need x2.

Don't have anything above 30-30 in rifle class and all my others are pistol cartridges.

I don't think I'm missing much. :wink:
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

All i could ever need is a shotgun.. small game, bigger game (with slugs) and an excellent self defence tool all in one !!!!

I am blessed with a .22 lever, marlin 1985, .22 bobcat and a reliable 9mm handgun extra.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

really if you have a 375 win that will cover any need out there from mice to moose :lol: .all I can say is I have way to much stuff.
pete
DAV life member.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I had all I NEED for Ohio thirty years ago. the dangerous game here isn't very big. the wants list is a whole different thing........maybe I will win the lottery today. :shock: .Jim.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

For now, all I "need" is a Marlin 39 (A) just a presaftey and a shooter , to come along when the $$$ coinside :wink:
Most of the rest of the bases are well covered :D
Phil
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Who has ALL they NEED? NOT want, NEED?

Post by cubrock »

I do. I have a good .22 rifle, a good large game rifle (.270), a good shotgun (Rem 870) with slug and shot barrels. Have more good handguns than I need.

I could do anything I want to do with a handgun, short of going to Africa for BIG game, with what I have.

Sometimes I ponder whether I should buy anything more or even thin down to what I will actually regularly use and get really good with those few guns. Seriously.
.........THE TWINS..........

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have all I need and most that I want, but I am still buying several guns a year and occasionally sell one or trade one off that looses favor with me, or one that I eventually relize I really have no use for.

I have everything covered two or three times, and then some. I think I have been buying extra guns and ammo for a while, just because I am concerned about the future political siduation.

Hello! My handle is Lastmohecken and I am a gunaholic. Now where can I go for treatment? Really, though, I have been considering not buying any more guns, period. I am fifty years old now, and if I took a different rifle and hunted with it every year, I would probably have enough to last me the rest of my life. So yes I definately have all I need.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

cubrock wrote:I do. I have a good .22 rifle, a good large game rifle (.270), a good shotgun (Rem 870) with slug and shot barrels. Have more good handguns than I need.

I could do anything I want to do with a handgun, short of going to Africa for BIG game, with what I have.

Sometimes I ponder whether I should buy anything more or even thin down to what I will actually regularly use and get really good with those few guns. Seriously.
I'd be glad to help, Steve. All I have is $400, but I'd be glad to take that 44 Flattop off of your hands. Just to help........
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Papa wrote:Joe, I've had all I need for sometime now. From 22's to 45's to 308's and then some. I'm sorry you don't have a shotgun. Where you live, they almost rule everything else out. darn shame!:shock:

I have a single shot H&R 20 gauge my brother gave me (imp cylinder), that I'd be proud to give to you if you could meet me half way from Nashville. Say the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot this spring? I't would be okay for rabbits, squirrel, and quail. Might even get you out of one of those moods you get into once in a while :D

Holler back,
Papa
Papa,
There's no telling what the future might bring. I've never been to the Knob Creek shoot. Always been curious about it though. What's it cost to watch? I don't have anything that qualifies for that kind of shoot.
I mentioned a pump 12 guage because I still have a passel of shells from my previous 12 guage, but 20 guage might be interesting to have.
We'll see what happens - OK.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

edwardyoung wrote:
cubrock wrote:I do. I have a good .22 rifle, a good large game rifle (.270), a good shotgun (Rem 870) with slug and shot barrels. Have more good handguns than I need.

I'd be glad to help, Steve. All I have is $400, but I'd be glad to take that 44 Flattop off of your hands. Just to help........

Whatcha got in trade to make up the difference? Shoot me an email and I'll give you my cell number. I'd like to show you the Triple Lock tomorrow. :D

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bogus bill wrote:I am lucky or insane. I could outfit several squads of guys. I can convice myself I need several more but not moraly. Think I have about 15 fine rifles, 3 or 4 shotguns and 30 + handguns. Majority are old winchesters followed by classic smith & wessons and colts. None are junk, well maybe 2 relic handguns.
Here is the sad part. While I am probley still a good enough shot to defend myself, I am not one part as accurate as years ago. I just had major surgery. I am recouperateing from haveing my nose cut off due to skin cancer that got away after about 15 operations over 22 years.
I still have more surgerys scheuled to look half way normal again. I almost died a few weeks ago when everything let go and I almost bled out. I have developed sever tremers from it where I have to hold a glass with both hands to drink. I am hopeing when I recouperate more that it will go away. The thing is it seems to be a genetic thing as my dads side of a big family almost all of them when they got old and seem to shake. My dad really shook bad in later years, and I always heard that grandma had to shave grandpa he shook so bad. If I dont get better I may be selling a lot of guns! Sorry if I got carried away.
Bill,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Kind of make mine insignificant by comparison.

The men of my dads side of the family all seem to suffer heart problems, and Bells Palsy. My dad had it, my Uncle had it, my brother has it and lately I seem to be shaking a bit too. Not sure if it's all my screwed up spine either.
Take care and get healed up. We want you around for a long time.

Joe
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

cubrock wrote:
edwardyoung wrote:

Whatcha got in trade to make up the difference? Shoot me an email and I'll give you my cell number. I'd like to show you the Triple Lock tomorrow. :D

Sorry, but $400 is actualy a little more than I'll have. I would like to see that triple lock. There's about an 85% chance I'll be there in the morning.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

edwardyoung wrote:
cubrock wrote:
edwardyoung wrote:

Hope to see you there, then! I'll be happy to let you look at anything I own. :D

Sorry, but $400 is actualy a little more than I'll have. I would like to see that triple lock. There's about an 85% chance I'll be there in the morning.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think I have all I "need" contained somewhere in the midst of my unorganized pile of firearms.

To tell the truth, I've been thinking of shedding a few just to get a grip on the situation.

I've got long and short range hunters, for big game and small. .22, .223, .30-30, .30-06, .356, and .357. I've even got a TC that covers all of those as well.

I've got military and homeland defense appropriate arms, .308, .30, .223,

I've got side-arms .45s, .357s, .38, and .380.

I've got a shotgun, 12GA.

I've got a BP rifle....

Ammo stored for most of 'em.

I've got an extra .30-06, an extra .356, an extra .30-30, and an extra .308 in case I need trade items.

AHA...I need a .22 pistol.

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I have all I need. I really think if you live in North America and have a 30-06, a .22 and a shotgun you have what you need. That being said I own forty two firearms and am shure I will have more. I pretty much shoot them all from time to time and hunt with many of them and CCP the pistols.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

J miller, and others that mailed me. I thank you all for your concerns and best wishs. Means a lot. I have a loveing wife that takes good care of me, and I am doing and will be ok. Just got out of shape liveing in the recliner. I will be out and about by spring. This is a good time of the year to hideout anyway. Thanks
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have way more than I "need". To my way of thinking all I would really need is a medium caliber handgun for self defense, a 22 rimfire rifle for small game, a high power rifle for big game and a scattergun for our feathered friends.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

bogus bill wrote:I am lucky or insane. I could outfit several squads of guys. I can convice myself I need several more but not moraly. Think I have about 15 fine rifles, 3 or 4 shotguns and 30 + handguns. Majority are old winchesters followed by classic smith & wessons and colts. None are junk, well maybe 2 relic handguns.

I have everything but a 400 yard gun I guess, not that I need a 400 yard gun....maybe a 270 or something like it but just don't feel the pull. My 356 Win. is very versatile. Have the 22's covered with a good solid SA Ruger and a Marlin 39A. Have the shotguns down pretty much with my favorite Single Shots, one Double and an 870 Pump. Have a couple of nice Ruger big bore single actions which have good memories attached and that are in fine shape. I really don't "need" anything else but these last few keep tugging at me and I'm feeling weak :P :

Shiloh Sharps in 45 anything with a touch of German Silver(been staring at these rifles since C.Sharps came out with their ads in the early 80's.)

Ruger Mini-14 in either the new 6.8 or standard 223...again new heavy barrel. Had a mini as a teen but in a moment of weakness sold the darned thing.

Winchester or Marlin in 44 Mag. to match me Rugers.

Bogus Bill......sorry to hear of all these challenges going on in your life. I hope things start to swing upward for you Sir! Prayers and thoughts will be sent and please keep us posted!!!!!!:)
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I certainly have every NEED covered.

For upland birds and rabbits: Remington 1100 Lt 20 with three barrels, (slug, imporved and full choke,)

For big game: TC Black Diamond BP in .50cal and my Model 64A in .30-30

For plinking and small game: Remington Nyla66 Apache and the wife's Ruger Bearcat.

For home defense and deer/hog: the Ruger BH 6.5" in .357magnum.

For turkeys and large fowl: 12ga Mossberg pump with three choke tubes.

For archery deer season: a PSE Polaris that shoots very well.

I have ammo and reloading equipment for the .30-30 and the .357 for about 1,000 rounds each.

-all I need for any hunting situation and home defense.

Needs v. Wants.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I keep typing that I have all I need and then deleting it..... ... ... thanks for the laugh
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

I've got it all
spurgon
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I have all of the guns, anybody should need.Not that I have all I want :lol: Doug
a armed man is his own master
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Mrs. might catch this thread, so of course I'm in need. :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I need a my Africa/dangerous game rifle.......I'm torn between a bolt action in 375 H&H Magnum or 35 Whelen AI and a Winchester 95 in 405 or 35 Whelen AI.

Other than that andmaybe a nice little light weight 20 gauge (Ithaca 37?) I am taken care of.

Wm

Oops....I forgot I need another muzzleloader for my oldest son next year....I'm thinking one of the H&R's!
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

My needs are covered, Ruger 35 Whelen for elk/moose/bear, 44 mag Marlin lever, for upland game I have either my Rem 1100 12g or an old Rem single shot 20g. For some reason, I decided years ago that I didn't need a .22 but, that could change if the "right" one came along, Win 9422 comes to mind. No interest in handguns anymore.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

My Marlin 1894c is all I "need", don't tell that to the other rifles in the safe, though.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've got my 22 rifle and revolver
My 357 rifle should do most jobs, although I really need to get out and find a place to hunt.
If I need a battle rifle or combat handgun I guess I'll just have to shoot some invading *** with the 357 and take theirs :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I have all I need. I have a couple I don't need. I just like um.

I would like to have a .500S&W & .357 Barrel for my Handi Rifle.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Guess I got more than 'nough....even trying to weed out the duplicates, just can't get my fingers to release and hand 'em over. Out of 102 firearms in my possesion though, I do not have one .22, just realized that.

Bogus Bill, really sorry to hear about your predicament, being from your home state my first thought was...have you tried a shot of Black Berry Brandy to settle your shakes? Hope you recover well and soon. Godspeed.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I need a lever or two. A .22 and 30-30 would fill those needs completley.

I need a good SxS and O/U. Everyone does.

A good revolver in .357.

That's it, all my needs would be met.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog