Funny rear sight on my "new" Winny

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Funny rear sight on my "new" Winny

Post by earlmck »

Until a few days ago I owned only one model 94. Redmond gunshow last Sunday, this thing followed me home (32 Spcl). Some previous owner had reblued the frame and tried re-stocking. Pretty wood, but he musta' used a chainsaw instead of rasp and file. About 1907 mfg. date.

My question to you fellers that know these things... Is this the original rear sight? Looks kinda' funny to me. Front sight says it is "No. 2 Marble".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Funny rear sight on my "new" Winny

Post by Old Savage »

There are a lot of now odd old iron sights.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

That is the correct sight, for a Win 94 chambered in 32WS. That sight was specifically designed, for that cartridge. Don't lose it......it's worth a few dollars. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's some cool stuff right there!

Oly
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

jdad wrote:That is the correct sight, for a Win 94 chambered in 32WS. That sight was specifically designed, for that cartridge. Don't lose it......it's worth a few dollars. :wink:
yupper, although the finish leaves something to be desired.
also known as a hog trough sight by the way. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice find , very nice 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks much for the info, jdad and pokey. A hog trough sight :!: And worth a few bucks :D That's good to know.

Now if I can ever get the barrel clean I'll see if it shoots. The only other rifle I have seen that had this much jacket material left behind in the bore was an old 6.5 Jap military rifle. Anyway, patches are still coming out real blue after about 6 soakings in the foaming bore cleaner that usually gets 'em squeaky-clean in 2 soaks. Brass & bullets coming from "Powder Valley"; dies will be Lees from Midway. Looks like RL7 should be a top powder, which I have a lot of.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

yep thats the sight that guys look for when they pick up an old 32 spcl in this part of the country too!!! NICE FIND
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

wow ! rifle configuration to boot ! :D

Must be some kind of unspoken .32 WS resurgence ----- i have seen more threads related to them lately than i recall seeing before (including my own)

hope you get the bore clean :o
----- Doug
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I think that there is an increase in popularity of the 32 Specials lately. Maybe because they are not so common as the 30-30s. Can you still buy factory ammo for them, I wonder?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

southfork wrote:I think that there is an increase in popularity of the 32 Specials lately. Maybe because they are not so common as the 30-30s. Can you still buy factory ammo for them, I wonder?
bought 2 boxes of winchester soft points last week at the Ft Worth Cabelas for a carbine i recently purchased ---- i didnt have time to load a batch from scratch and this gives me a small batch of brass to work with once i get them fired :D

i don't know if the .32 is any kind of improvement over the .30 or not, but i sure had fun shooting mine the first time ! :lol: (http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=33930)
----- Doug
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

southfork wrote:I think that there is an increase in popularity of the 32 Specials lately. Maybe because they are not so common as the 30-30s. Can you still buy factory ammo for them, I wonder?
Not only can you get factory ammo if you so desire, but you can also get it in LeveRevolution with the 165 grain gummy tip bullet. Speer and Hornady have 170 grainers, and the gummybullet is available for reloading (when you can find it in stock, that is). And there are some molds and gaschecks advertised. Not great bunches of choices, but there appear to be choices available.

Bore finally quit making blue patches after the 8th or 9th application of bore cleaner. Looks kinda' dark down there, yet. Will see what happens when we can get gun and ammo together at the range. That "hog trough" sight may look a little funny, but it seems to be a very nice sight to aim with.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry