MARLIN DISCONTINUES MODEL 39-A !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

What Would You Do ?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Buy a new Mossberg
4%
Buy a used M-39a
84%
Buy another used .22 Levergun
10%
Buy a Henry
2%
SELL your 39A
No votes

Total votes: 49
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

MARLIN DISCONTINUES MODEL 39-A !

Post by Pete44ru »

Wouldn't that bite ? :mrgreen: Or, not - depending if you were buying or selling. :roll:

Personally, I hope Marlin never comes to that conclusion.

What would YOU do, if they did ?

BTW - The poll didn't print all my options:

"Would you buy a Henry ?"

"Would you sell your 39a ?"
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Scared the socks off me with that title :shock:
I plan on buying a pre saftey one when the $$ and opertunity mesh anyways , but discontinued :evil: That would just drive the prices up higher.
Phil
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

I guess I had better get around to it...

so little money...

Tom
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Well, they did discontinue all the shorter barrel ones.

I think all they have now is the 24" pistol grip version.

I'm sure there's a market for them, but it definitely doesn't fit into the nice "walking around the woods lever" group.

I'm just glad I got one already. I haven't sold my 9422 so I couldn't see selling the Marlin either.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I never had a serious hankering for a 39 Marlin although I don't have anything against them. I have a like new 9422, the deluxe one, and really want an octagon Henry. But then, the list is long of "wanted" items yet to be fulfilled, particularly if Obama and Billary get defeated!!!!!
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK, Marlin fanatics please don't beat on my poor 'lil pin head.

30 years ago I bought a Win 9422 because the Marlins did not appeal to me. There were many reasons for that, I won't go into them now.

Now, the 9422 is discontinued, well boo hoo. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

I'd like to have a Marlin 39A, but they don't make any styles that I want.
WAY too much wood. There is no reason in the word to make a forearm so excessively obese. I don't like the pistol grip stocks either. And then there's the rebounding hammer, that kills the deal right there.

So, when I can find one in the style I like, I'll buy it.

I hope they don't discontinue it, but if they do it won't crinkle my fries none/

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I vote that I would buy a used Marlin, but I would probably just get a Henry.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

That title kinda shocked me for a minute, and I half believed it, knowing that Marlin got bought out. But I am not too worried, because I already have a 39M and a BL22, and a 94/22mag so I am pretty set anyway, plus I probably would not buy a new one with a crossbolt safety anyway, unless it was a real bargain.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

There are no other .22 leverguns worth having IMO. The 39A is the only one for me.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Guess I need to hang on to my straight grip old model, with brass buttplate!!!!!!!
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Perish the thought! I have two, an older '57 model and a newer one with the rebounding hammer thingy. Both are fantastic shooters. I really wish they would make a .22WMR model again.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Wouldn't affect me either way...

Post by John in MS »

I already voted with my dollars. Looking at getting into Cowboy Lever Action shooting, and needed a lever gun for the rimfire course. I looked at a new 39A at the gunshop and about barfed. It has 2 open holes drilled into the left side of the action. At first, I couldn't figure out why they were there -- had some screws fallen out? But they weren't threaded.

Then, I got it. One was a loaded chamber hole ... er, I mean, "indicator,"
where you could see the rim of a cartridge in the chamber, and the other was a loaded magazine hole ... er, I mean "indicator" where you could see the stylish red plastic follower (or a cartridge.) Combine that with the rebounding hammer (blech) and so-so fitting, and I decided right then and there I'd never buy a new 39A. It would be either an older 39 or a Winchester 9422. I then went out and found a nice 90+% mid-50's 39A, and saved $200 over the lawyered-up one, to boot!

Sure is a shame they feel they have to hack up otherwise-nice guns these days, but that doesn't mean I have to buy them. Plenty of good older ones out there.
John
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

That would not bother me at all! One of the worse guns I ever owned back in the mid 60's. Replaced four ejectors and sold it after replacing the fourth one. That one did not last the new owner very long.
Bought a 9422 later and never had a minutes problem with it in all these years. I'll stick with Winchester's. Marlins are heavy, clunky gun's with Sissy stocks. :P :lol: Just my opinon, Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Mike-in-WV wrote:That would not bother me at all! One of the worse guns I ever owned back in the mid 60's. Replaced four ejectors and sold it after replacing the fourth one. That one did not last the new owner very long.
Bought a 9422 later and never had a minutes problem with it in all these years. I'll stick with Winchester's. Marlins are heavy, clunky gun's with Sissy stocks. :P :lol: Just my opinon, Mike
Come on Mike, don't hold out on us, tell us what you really think. :) Heavy for a 22 no doubt. That is why I finally ended up with a nice little 1970 Comerative mounty with a hex barrel, it's a lot lighter then even the normal 39M. However, a good 39A is still one heck of a fine 22 leveraction.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Lol, OK, the 39A is a good gun....if you are a gun smith!!! :lol: Just kidding guy's. The Marlin is a fine rifle I just was the sad recipient of a bad 39A back then. :cry: Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mojo,
They made a .22 Magnum version?
leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

Man that title made my heart stop a sec I been contemplating getting another to go along with my '58 Vintage tackdriver.
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.