Rossi R92 Octagonal Forend removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wildcatfan
Levergunner

Rossi R92 Octagonal Forend removal

Post by wildcatfan »

Took delivery of a new color-case hardened Rossi 92 in 44mag with 24inch octagonal barrel.
Because of another thread on this site that listed possible rusting under the forend I decided to take the stock and forend off to check for rust and seal the wood wherever it touches metal
Shoulder stock removal was no problem. Remove 1 screw and a gentle tug and off it came.
Forend was a different story. After removing the forend cap screws and sliding the cap forward, I could not get the forend off.
I did a search on this site and on the net but all I could find were assembly/disassembly directions for the mechanicals and expanded view of the round barrel and the forend on those appeared to just slip off after the barrel bands were removed. The octagonal model does not have barrel bands.
Finally, with the help of a magnifying glass and a flashlight I could see that the magazine tube appeared to go THROUGH the forend.
Ended up removing the plug in the end of the magazine tube, and attempting to remove the tube. No luck.
I could get the tube to rotate but not slide. Finally after liberal amount of WD-40 I was able to slide the tube out. Only after I had scratched the tube near the forend, where it will always be a visible reminder to not ham hand things, did I notice the drift ping in the forward magazine tube retainer. Drove that pin out and the tube slid the rest of the way out with no further scratches.
With the tube removed the case hardened forend cap and the forend can be easily removed.
Assembly is just the reverse. Don't forget to slide on the forend cap before sliding the magazine tube through the forend and into the action.
Hope this helps someone else avoid my mistakes.
Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but the action seems pretty smooth, Much smoother than my marlin 1894. Wood has good figure on the shoulder stock, forend is more plain.
Odd thing tho is the specs list an ammo capacity of 12+1. I have checked several different brands and bullet weights of 44mag ammo and I am able to fit 13+1.
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Re: Rossi R92 Octagonal Forend removal

Post by CarlsenHighway »

Thats interesting thanks, I was looking at the same thing not long ago. I have the same rifle in .44/40 and get 13 too. We have a Uberti tang sight on the rifle and are shooting 2 inch groups with it at 100 yards. This one has actual real walnut and pleasantly figured, which is unusual for a Rossi.
You will enjoy that rifle I am sure...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sometimes taking a new gun apart can add a little "character". :D I like to take my new guns and new to me guns apart prior to shooting and give'em an inspection and cleaning. I've found all sorts of things. Shortly after getting my new Uberti 73 I took it apart and cleaned it up. One thing I didn't take apart was the mag tube. I don't have a big enough/thin enough screwdriver bit to take off the tube plug without chewing it up. I've tried with the biggest bit I've got and with a good amount of force it doesn't want to turn loose. That's the only thing I haven't cleaned. I need to look through Brownell's or find a "trick" to get it off. I don't want to steal your post.
Old Law Dawg
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

kimwcook wrote: I need to look through Brownell's or find a "trick" to get it off. I don't want to steal your post.
First, thanks for the post, wildcatfan. I have a feeling that saved me some trouble when I help a friend with his newly acquired Rossi.

And LawDog, a trick that helps me (after you get a good-fitting screwdriver head) is to fit the driver in the screw slot and before trying any turning, give it a sharp rap with a hammer (as though you were trying to drive the screw deeper). This almost always helps considerably.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Same queston was asked just Friday nite:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ve#p410167
Frankdozer wrote:I do have a question... After I remove the forestock SS cap ( 2 screws, one on each side ) how do I get the forestock off. I'm inclined to try to lever it down but I'd rather ask than commit to damaging it. The information on this sight can be overwhelming. There's so much good advice and fact based opinions. But I'm going to proceed at a snail's pace before I do anything radical. I definitly see reloading in my near future. Thanks, Frank
Unload the rifle.

Remove the magazine plug screw... watch where the spring flings the magazine plug! You'll need it to reassemble!

Remove the magazine ring pin.

Then remove the magazine from the muzzle end. Once the magazine clears the forend cap you'll be able to remove it and the forearm. The forearm may be tight, and usually a couple of taps with the heel of your hand in a forward motion will pry it loose from where it insets into the receiver. You may also need to slip out the forend cap tenon, but that should almost fall out once the magazine clears is as the magazine is slid forward.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!