OT, Humor - Secret to a Long Marriage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

OT, Humor - Secret to a Long Marriage

Post by GoatGuy »

At St. Peter's Catholic Church in Toronto they have weekly husbands' marriage seminars.

At the session last week, the priest asked Giuseppe, who said he was approaching his 50th wedding anniversary, to take a few minutes and share some insight into how he had managed to stay married to the same woman all these years.

Giuseppe replied to the assembled husbands, 'Wella, I'va tried to treat her nicea, spenda da money on her, but besta of all is, I tooka her to Italy for the 25th anniversary!'

The priest responded, 'Giuseppe, you are an amazing inspiration to all the husbands here! Please tell us what you are planning for your wife for your 50th anniversary?'

Giuseppe proudly replied, " Ima gonna go pick her up." :wink:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT, Humor - Secret to a Long Marriage

Post by COSteve »

I've found that my secret for our long marriage (going on 38yrs) is to remember those 2 most important words all women love to hear.

Yes Dear.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We will have 51 years in April, and the only secret that I know is God's hand on our married life. I reckon I would have made a mess of it without Him.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

JerryB wrote:... God's hand on our married life.
I'm certain that's the real "secret" to a happy marriage
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My parents are working on year 53, and what I see is that they are compatible. They like most of the same things, they back each other up, and they don't go looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence. When one of them sees something like a really beautiful sunset, they go get the other so they both can see it.

Maybe the secret is kind of like Curly's secret to life, it is just one thing, but you have to find it for yourself. (City Slickers)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

31 years and counting. Ain't nobody got the deal I got. I don't think there is a magic secret. It can be hard work, but knowing when and what battle to pick, knowing forgivness and never forgetting what you felt the day you asked for her hand.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Birdman wrote:31 years and counting. Ain't nobody got the deal I got. I don't think there is a magic secret. It can be hard work, but knowing when and what battle to pick, knowing forgivness and never forgetting what you felt the day you asked for her hand.
There's that. And then, there's her refusal to admit she made a mistake. 40+ years. :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

5 behind the Griffster here but the secret is - don't get divorced!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Only a guy married to an Italian woman would know the true meaning of that joke. My wife's maiden name ends in a "O"!

I've been married 38+ years--got started at 18. In the early years it was battle after battle and the only thing that kept me from hittin' the road was my Italian wife always told me, "If you leave, I'll see to it you are livin' in a tent, payin' ALL the bills, and some other guy will be shootin' your guns." :D

Woah! I could live with the first two, but some other dude playing with my shootin' irons!! I would have been in the "big house" for sure. :D

Ahhh, after 20 or 25 years, I really think each person knows the other ain't going no where and the trust comes in to stay. I really believe that 99 marriages out of 100 that ends is because of trust or the man lets the little head do the thinking instead of the big head. With me, my priorities have always been my family and my guns and thats what always kept us together. Other women ain't nothing but aggravation as they always want, want , want.

I have no idea how O.S. makes things work in his household. :D My wife would be smackin' me upside of the head with an iron pipe if I ever came home with all those pics.. :D The women love him to no end. I can see it in their eyes. I have never seen a guy who has a permanent "indentation" on his shirt about 2/3rds of the way up as OS does. :D :D ----------lucky guy he is :D ------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heya ...whatsa matta for you!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

31 years coming up in a few weeks.
Sure doesn't seem like it.
I trust no one more and prefer no other company over hers.
It's just always sort of been a "you-n-me against the world" sort of deal and we have had each other's back the whole way.
She's never held a hobby or a "project deadline" over my head and in return, I would do anything for her.
I would say that I would give her anything, but everything's "ours" to begin with.
Never had to consciously think or say that to each other - just explain it to others.

Timely thread, what with Valentine's day and all.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why Sixgun, what a lovely sentiment. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Sixgun wrote:Ahhh, after 20 or 25 years, I really think each person knows the other ain't going no where and the trust comes in to stay. I really believe that 99 marriages out of 100 that ends is because of trust or the man lets the little head do the thinking instead of the big head. With me, my priorities have always been my family and my guns and thats what always kept us together. Other women ain't nothing but aggravation as they always want, want , want. Sixgun
I think these kind of feelings place way too much blame on men and ignore the fact it takes two to make, or break, a relationship. If there was not something missing then no one would go looking for whatever it is that is lost or missing.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...well, gents, here are a few key phrases that I often parrot in public:

"Yes, dear."

"That's nice, dear."

"Whatever you say, dear."

"Right away, dear."

Also, I frequently get in trouble for attempting to help my wife with something. So, when that happens, I tell her:

"I'm sorry for helping."

...and that goes over real big. :o :oops: :wink:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

COSteve wrote:I've found that my secret for our long marriage (going on 38yrs) is to remember those 2 most important words all women love to hear.

Yes Dear.
My wife seems to favor these words ... "you were right".
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Post by CarlsenHighway »

After we got married, the wife took the marriage certificate to get her maiden name changed as they do...only she had it in the pocket of her raincoat and it got wet. The bottom half of it, the ink ran.
Whenever something comes up I tell her that I am not contractually bound to do that and that she should read the fine print on that marriage certificate, which is, of course, slurrily illegable.
fknipfer
Levergunner

Post by fknipfer »

I have been married for the big 50yrs and one of the secrets I think that will make marriages last longer is to make sure she has her own TV with all the latest channels. I'm sure I would have been gone a long time ago if I would have had to watch a steady diet of love propaganda that she watches. Nice and quiet being kept in the basement with my own TV.

fknipfer
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

now that I have my man cave in the back yard, shouldn't be too hard to make it another 27 years.
Good woman, GREAT cook!!! I've always lived by the mantra that the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence, but that don't mean it's better.

rimrock