Savage 340 .30-30 question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Savage 340 .30-30 question

Post by pharmseller »

So I wandered in to the local toy store looking for some 1911 magazines. I walked out with a surprisingly well cared for Savage 340 in .30-30.
So here's the question: when was it made?
No serial number. Nope. Nothing. Not filed off, just absent.
Drilled and tapped for a peep, but not a scope mount.
No checkering.
Sling studs.
Rear sight has a wheel to raise and lower the inadequate rear sight. I'm looking for a FP 340 even as we speak.

So, when was she born?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage 340 .30-30 question

Post by 765x53 »

No serial number on a long gun means prior to 1968.
Thats all I can tell.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'll look in my box-o-FPs for a sight. Can't remember if I have one or not.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Standard grade was made 1950-1985. Any of the variations, like deluxe, 340C, 340V, etc were made only from 1952-1960. After 60 there were no production variants. I've owned several and sold them. They were each very accurate and I found that with short, plain base bullets of 150-165gr some of the bullets were able to function properly while leaving enough case capacity to reach 2350 fps. With FP or RN bullets of 150 or 170 gr you could get the heavier bullets going right at 2400 fps without issues and the 150's could get another 75 fps on that.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you inspect the bottom of the barrel/receiver, 'chances are you'll find the circled Savage Letter Date Code, denoting the DOM.

Savage started marking all their firearms in 1949 (with "A"), up to 1970 (with "X"), shipping the letters "I", "O", & "Q" , IIRC.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I bought a nice used one back in the late 50s and gave it to my mother for deer hunting. After my folks died I took it and other guns back to california. My safe was full and I left those guns out. Soon as I got back my truck was stolen along with a revolver I had hidden. It tipped them off I was a gun person. I was watched, and burglared. I lost all the family guns I had brought back from wisconsin. That gun I was going to play with because you can shoot spitzers in it etc. They are a fine cheap gun. (or was).
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I had a couple over the years, ugly, yet they sure seem to shoot well and never malfunctioned for me once.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have an uncle who bought one in the 50's. I can't even tell you how many deer he has shot with it. Probably a rail car full. If I ever see a nice one-- I'd buy it!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have three, one of which I had JES reboring convert to 38-55. Haven't done much with them, but last fall, took out the 223 I had bought and that cheap old thing went under an inch with some Hornady Vmax bullets and just a random powder charge I pulled out of the book.

The one time I took out the 30-30, with WW 170's, same thing, under an inch.

They will shoot. They have heated up quickly ( after about 8 shots) and then start to wander a bit. Pace your shots and you will be rewarded.
Last edited by Thunder50 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Thunder50 wrote:I have three, one of which I had JES reboring convert to 38-55. Haven't done much with them, but last fall, took out the 223 I had bought and that cheap old thing went under an inch with some Hornady Vmax bullets and just a random powder charge I pulled out of the book.

The one time I took out the 30-30, with WW 170's, same thing, under an inch.

They will shoot. They mine have heated up quickly and then start to wander a bit. Pace your shots and you will be rewarded.

My 340 Series E, in .223, will easily shoot under an inch, the problem is the heavy trigger. I believe it would shoot 1/2" if it had a trigger like the accu-triggers. The 340s are very accurate rifles.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The holes on the side are for a scope mount - there's a special side-mount, centered scope mount for them - a stampled mental clamp type - I had one for the Steven's model that I had, which is a copy of the Savage. I put a little 4x scope on it. But this was sold off several years back...

Here's some information on the rifle: http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... ge_340.htm

Apparently B-Square makes a mount: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=146614
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

O.S.O.K. wrote:The holes on the side are for a scope mount - there's a special side-mount, centered scope mount for them - a stampled mental clamp type - I had one for the Steven's model that I had, which is a copy of the Savage. I put a little 4x scope on it. But this was sold off several years back...

Here's some information on the rifle: http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... ge_340.htm

Apparently B-Square makes a mount: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=146614

I don't know if it is still available but Weaver made a mount also. The Weaver is what I have on my .223.

The stamped steel mount works ok, but it really looks flimsy. Some of the early receivers were tapped for a receiver sight. My Series E isn't but my older .222 Model 340C is.
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

That wheel adjustable rear sight suggests its an older one, not one of the later ones. 1950s would be my guess. If I'm correct, the screw holes in the receiver are for a peep sight, not for the side mount scope base.

I have one from that era, actually a 325, as it has a 22" or 24" barrel (can't remember which, but it's longer than the carbine length barrel), plus two I bought for my twins, one 340 and one Stevens 840, both of which have 20" barrels. All three shoot very well for an inexpensive deer rifle. I hunt regularly with mine, even though I own a few other, what most would consider better, deer rifles, because it's light, low recoil and easy to carry. I did put a lace-on leather cheekpiece on mine to get the comb raised so I don't have to monkey with it align my eye to the sight.