OT: Springfield Snow Report.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Springfield Snow Report.

Post by J Miller »

Virtually everything is closed down here in Springfield, IL. There's anywhere from 18" to 24" of snow on the ground and much of it is unplowed and unsalted.
The city crews have been working on the main streets only leaving the residential streets untouched.

My wifes Pizza place is closed so she's got a snow day off. Just as well cos w/o 4WD she wouldn't be doing much delivery anyway.
We drove by the Pizzeria and the main store and both are closed up tight.

Whooo Hoooo!!!! SNOW DAY!!!!!

Yesterday I cleaned off the ice and snow from the Pathfinder and texted my wife that when she got home we were going to reverse how we parked the vehicles. Good thing we did or we "might" have been stuck at home.
This morning we had to get the rent check to the PO so I got out, broomed the Pathfinder and truck off and got it started. Then took off in 4 Low and plowed my own path from our driveway. We've got a fairly long drive way for a residential area. Once out in the street is was a slushy, mucky, slimy, gooey mess. On the north end of the block a little Front WD SUV thing was stuck, and lots of folks were shoveling out their drives.

My wife and I got in and I left the Pathfinder in 4 HI and took off. Nary a problem. I used the 4x4 more today than I have in three years. THAT is one reason I will not be without a four wheel drive vehicle.

We hit the bank, it was closed. But the Family Video rental place was open. So we gots lots of movies to watch.

All in all a fun day slipping and sliding in the snow.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Springfield Snow Report.

Post by TedH »

We got about 20". I haven't even tried to get out yet because there hasn't been a plow through the neighborhood yet. I have one of the driveways shoveled, and about half done with the other. Ugh, this is too much work for an old fat guy.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TedH wrote:We got about 20". I haven't even tried to get out yet because there hasn't been a plow through the neighborhood yet. I have one of the driveways shoveled, and about half done with the other. Ugh, this is too much work for an old fat guy.
The only time our drive way gets plowed is when the owners of the company my wifes works for comes down to do it. Otherwise I just use the Pathfinder to make ruts we can drive in.
My back is too messed up to really get involved with a shovel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

0" of snow today in Phoenix. 8)

Dave B
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Dave B wrote:0" of snow today in Phoenix. 8)

Dave B
0"! That's interesting, but how many home invasions and/or kidnappings? :P
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'm with You on the 4wd Joe. we have about 14" of snow now. Monday morn when I left for work it was -2*. Tuesday it warmed up and We had freezing rain in the evening and all night.I worked Tues till 10pm and the roads had 3" of snow/ice on them.came home 22mi in high range. this morning it was 34* and everthing melting,the tempeture has been falling all day and snowing pretty good now.life on the north coast. :) .
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

We have well over 3 feet on the ground here in central Massachusetts.
I took the day off work to clear the snow from overnight.
The drifts are 4 feet and the banks at the end of the drive are 6 feet.
I cut the tops off the snowbanks at the end of the drive to see the cars coming.
The snowthrower broke and we had to shovel 200 feet of drive plus the turn around and walks by hand for the last three snowstorms.
You can't buy a new snowthrower anywhere near here.
My wife works at Lowes and said even the $2500 models are sold out.
The store sold out of snow roof rakes and made a bunch up from pvc pipe and wood to keep the customers happy.
A number of buildings in the area have collapsed due to snow on the roof.
We got the snowthrower fixed just in time for the latest storm.
The final insult was finding a flat tire on one of the cars after we dug it out.

It is hard to remember that these will, some day, be the good old days.

Jack
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

well let me look out the window here.....
nope....no snow....just 80' and partly sunny... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Had sunshine and 60° here in Virginia. About time. We had a run where Terry Murbach and I were experiencing the sames temps and we had more snow. Glad things are back to normal. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The storm just missed us here in Green Bay. Just to the south got hammered. Only a dusting last night, but it drifted badly with High winds last night. Hope you all get through the storm.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jhrosier wrote:You can't buy a new snowthrower anywhere near here.
My wife works at Lowes and said even the $2500 models are sold out.
That's often the case where there are "anti-price-gouging" laws. If I had a dozen snow-blowers in stock at a store I owned 500 miles away, I'd consider how much time to spend loading them all up, how much fuel and time to drive them 500 miles, and how much extra I'd need to make from the sales to justify that, and price them accordingly. Unfortunately, such entrepreneurial efforts run the risk of legal trouble, so those who "have the goods" tend to just sit on them, and figure "let the government bail them out".

In this case, the blizzard is widespread enough there probably aren't many snowthrowers anywhere in stores, but it is disgusting when those in need have their supplies limited artificially by such laws.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Here in central Maine, I gues we got 12" to 15" between last
night and today, with probably another couple to come before
tomorrow morning. It's 10 F - above zero! Wind is 15 to 20 knots
out of the NNW. I just finished two driveways and widened the
little lane we live on. I'll do it all over again at 4 AM before we
all go out to work. Saturday they say I'll do it again, and probably
next Tuesday as well. After that, I'll have to consider shovelling
the roof - a chore I really, really, loathe.

Still, we gotta look on the bright side - this could be 12" to 15"
of LAVA or volcanic ash, eh?! :D

-Stretch
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jus went thru Springfield, MO today, was only 4 inches or so on ground, Sure glad I didnt go up H63 thru Columbia. Everything was shutdown. Even Taco Bell, MacDonalds and most gas stations. Had to eat soup and crackers in motel last nite. Glad I bought beer earlier :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!