Wolf brand 30-30 ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
toby
Levergunner

Wolf brand 30-30 ammo?

Post by toby »

Anybody ever use this? Russian made 30-30 ammo, re-loadable brass. Might make good plinking ammo for those who don't reload. I've used Wolf in my Ar & Ak and not had a problem other than it seems dirtier than American made stuff. Probably find it cheaper at the gun show though. http://www.iammo.com/p-29971-wolf-30-30 ... point.aspx
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wolf brand 30-30 ammo?

Post by damienph »

What is it priced at? Some of the imported ammunition is worth buying just to get the brass.
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

ammo.com wants $16.99 a box, 20 rounds in a box.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Seems expensive. I can get Remington and Winchester here for $15 a box at almost any store in town. Might be worth it if it's very accurate.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Toby,

Wolf Ammo is owned by a friend of my B-I-L, great guy, but I still wouldn't use his ammo in my guns. Nor his primers... just me... I used to love the bullets he made in SoCal, but this stuff... too dirty, and Remington is still made here in the US... well.... Arkansas anyway!!!! :twisted:

Check your local WallyWorld, they carry Remington and Federal up in Rockwall.. I can't see why Friendswood would be different!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

they stock it at the local range, and the proprietor was going on about the reloadable cases and the quality. My friend shot up 3-4 boxes and they all went bang. The cases looked ok to me. Why not just try a box if you're curious?

I've only used Remington in 30-30, but for .357 and .22lr I've tried many others, and both of the best brands for me are foreign, Magtech and Fiocchi.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I wonder if Wolf has ever thought about marketing unprimed brass in the US? It seems like rifle brass made by US companies is getting pretty pricey.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Griff wrote:Toby,

Wolf Ammo is owned by a friend of my B-I-L, great guy, but I still wouldn't use his ammo in my guns. Nor his primers... just me... I used to love the bullets he made in SoCal, but this stuff... too dirty, and Remington is still made here in the US... well.... Arkansas anyway!!!! :twisted:
Are we talking about the Wolf Russian and German produced ammo or a different company?

I've shot a ton of the 223, 7.62x39, 9mm, and 45 Russian Wolf with no problems. Some of it is a bit on the dirty (not corrosive) side though. The German produced Wolf match 22 ammo is fantastic stuff for the price. It shoots close to ammo costing two to three times it's price in many of better 22's.
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

I think we're talking about 2 different Wolf's. My post was about the imported Wolf ammo from Russia.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Hi,

From what I remember is that Wolf Gold is made by Privi Partizan out of Serbia, the old Yugoslavia, and is also marketed as S&B (Seller&Bellot), Winchester, and Privi Partizan.

Its good ammo and can be reloaded.

Steve
556A2
Levergunner

Post by 556A2 »

SteveR wrote:Hi,

From what I remember is that Wolf Gold is made by Privi Partizan out of Serbia, the old Yugoslavia, and is also marketed as S&B (Seller&Bellot), Winchester, and Privi Partizan.
Almost

Wolf Gold is re-packaged Prvi Partizan. Priv Partizan is based in Serbia.

S&B is based in the Czech Republic with no ties to Prvi Partizan.

S&B does make some metric calibers for Winchester (9mm Makarov & 7.62x54R)

Prvi Partizan does make great ammo, but I have had some overpressure rounds in the .30-30 (and some others have as well).

Frankly, I'd stick with Win/Rem/Fed in .30-30.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

For what it's worth I just got a bad box of Privi in .32 ACP. It's weak, wont cycle the two different .32s I tried it in, and leaves unburnt powder and soot all over the gun. That's the first bad box of Privi I've ever had but once burnt I'm likely to shy away from it, especially given the other reports I hear occasionally about issues with Privi ammo. Sellier & Belloit, on the other hand, has always been good to me and frankly the Czechs make better stuff than the Serbs do (in my experience) but I don't think I've ever seen S&B's .30-30 loading for sale anywhere. Fiocchi has always been great as well.

Some interesting tidbits: S&B is still Czech, but it's now owned by the same Brazilian company that is Magtech (which is only a brand name). And "most" (according to them) Fiocchi ammo sold in the U.S. is produced in the U.S. in their plant here.

Regarding the Wolf Gold ammo in question, that price is nothing special unless it's loaded with some sort of premium bullet.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

load your own! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Pricewise, It's pretty hard to beat the Federal 30-30 ammo at Wally World at under $12 a box. Any quality issues with the Federal ammo?
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

Hope not, picked up a couple of Fed. 150gr. boxes myself to test out my new rifle.Was waiting on the rain to quit, now waiting on the ice to go away. Yep, I'm a wimp.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

No, Federal has been very good in all of my guns.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

southfork wrote:Pricewise, It's pretty hard to beat the Federal 30-30 ammo at Wally World at under $12 a box. Any quality issues with the Federal ammo?
+1. Can find it for $9 or $10 a box, Special sales right before hunting season. I wait and stock up then. :wink: