Speaking of True Grit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Speaking of True Grit

Post by RIHMFIRE »

John Wayne will be on AMC all day and night this saturday
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Speaking of True Grit

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Cool. Just got back from the movie with the boys. We thought it was very good.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

We saw it a few weeks back an thought it better made than the JW original.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the tip!
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geeze! With all of this postive talk, I just might break my 15 year absense from patronizing Hollywood. I guess its 15 years as the last time I went was to see Jurassic Park. :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

You should see it. Some nice looking guns in there. My only problem with the guns was how pristine they were. They could have used a little aging. One guy has a Henry with a rope sling on it and he's on the run from the law ... yet the Henry's brass a bluing look like they just rolled out of the end of the Winchester factory.

I can't wait to get it on BluRay. I need to get a good freeze frame of the SAA being used by Ned Pepper. It looked to have some embellishments.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Rimfire: I think Pepper's SAA had a four leaf clover inlaid in the stock..."Lucky" Ned Pepper. Can't be sure though...forgot my glasses at the house.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sixgun wrote:Geeze! With all of this postive talk, I just might break my 15 year absense from patronizing Hollywood. I guess its 15 years as the last time I went was to see Jurassic Park. :D -----------Sixgun
How appropriate! :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:You should see it. Some nice looking guns in there. My only problem with the guns was how pristine they were. They could have used a little aging. One guy has a Henry with a rope sling on it and he's on the run from the law ... yet the Henry's brass a bluing look like they just rolled out of the end of the Winchester factory.

I can't wait to get it on BluRay. I need to get a good freeze frame of the SAA being used by Ned Pepper. It looked to have some embellishments.
My thing is that, yes, they did look new because they were no more than about 20 years old at that time. No, they weren't setting in a closet somewhere, they were out in the world being used, but that's the point. They were being used by people who counted on them and took care of them.

A few years back it was all the rage (and still is in some circles) for living history people to have an original. Barring that they would age modern defarbed reproductions to look like 140 year old originals. However, it was completely wrong for a persona living in 1862 to have a 140 year old 1862 rifled musket.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

octagon wrote:Rimfire: I think Pepper's SAA had a four leaf clover inlaid in the stock..."Lucky" Ned Pepper. Can't be sure though...forgot my glasses at the house.
Yep, it did.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Geeze! With all of this postive talk, I just might break my 15 year absense from patronizing Hollywood. I guess its 15 years as the last time I went was to see Jurassic Park. :D -----------Sixgun
How appropriate! :wink: :lol:
+1 :lol: :wink:

Over Christmas vacation I re-watched several of the Duke's films while doing things around the house. I watched the original "True Grit" and "Rooster Cogburn", "Rio Lobo", "The Sons of Katie Elder", "Rio Bravo", and "The Searchers".

Great way to start the new year! :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hobie wrote:My thing is that, yes, they did look new because they were no more than about 20 years old at that time. No, they weren't setting in a closet somewhere, they were out in the world being used, but that's the point. They were being used by people who counted on them and took care of them.

A few years back it was all the rage (and still is in some circles) for living history people to have an original. Barring that they would age modern defarbed reproductions to look like 140 year old originals. However, it was completely wrong for a persona living in 1862 to have a 140 year old 1862 rifled musket.

Exactly. I could never understand all the custom makers whipping a new $3000 longrifle with a piece of chain to make it look hundreds of years old, when those folks place such an emphasis on looking exactly how folks looked in the day. Makes absolutely no sense if you think it through, but folks continue to think that way.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I can understand that the guns were only 20 years old at the time and would not have the patina that a 140 years produces. But these people were living hard in this movie. And a Henry on a rope sling should at the very least have some scratches and dullness to it. That's all I'm saying. I don't have an issue with the CCH on the SAA's being as nice as it was. I think that would be normal. But there ought to be some blue wear on them from holstering and such. There was one good shot of the Sharp's carbine lying on the ground and I'll admit that I didn't get a really good look at it so I'm not sure about that one. I immediately focused on the CCH on its receiver, which was nice, and didn't get a chance to look at the rest of the gun much.

Ned Pepper's revolver was in awfully nice shape compared to say ... his teeth.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Ned Pepper's revolver was in awfully nice shape compared to say ... his teeth.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good points RM. No doubt, you had some beaters in the mix that got used hard and heavy. It's the same today as it was then. Bill Doolin's 1866 Win. had the forearm worn nearly down to the barrel when he was killed by Heck Thomas. I assume from resting it on the front of his saddle while riding. I was commenting about guns that are made to look 140 years old...ie worn and beaten down to a nub, as if it's the only answer to what the average guy had in 1775 or 1875.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AMC? The Gremlin, Pacer or Rambler?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This is a screen capture of the girl's Dragoon from the film when she lays it out on the bed:

I think you can see what Rimfire McNut is talking about - the bluing is mint as it was on the Henry.

Oh well, it's just nice to see a percussion revolver not hacked to fire cartridges.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

That Dragoon was supposed to be an older outdated revolver at the time of the movie. I agree, it's looks far too good.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JB wrote:That Dragoon was supposed to be an older outdated revolver at the time of the movie. I agree, it's looks far too good.
not to mention the father used it in the civil war....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have 35- and 40-y-o shotgun and rifle, respectively, and their blue looks about the same as the dragoon

yes, I understand, there should be random scuff marks and a bit of aging from use, but they should be a whole lot closer to new blue than to cherry brown.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Lucky Ned's "SAA" is in fact a Remington Model of 1875...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Ned Pepper's revolver was in awfully nice shape compared to say ... his teeth.
I thought the makeup and costuming was terrific - particularly Ned's teeth!!

-Stretch
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

What are the chances that the loading ram on her revolver would have dropped down and tied up the cylinder when she shot Chaney with it?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

AkRay wrote:What are the chances that the loading ram on her revolver would have dropped down and tied up the cylinder when she shot Chaney with it?

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to have misfired on a bad cap when she goes to shoot Cheney a second time. I'll have to pay attention the next time i watch it. Very little chance of the lever falling on a Dragoon.....as only the Walker had that failing.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

It didn't fall down in the movie. I was just thinking that they fell down a lot with this type of revolver, but didn't know that it was corrected with this model.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

How long does it take after a movie is released before you can rent it or buy it? Last "picture show" I saw at the theater was Schindler's List. Our home popcorn's pretty good!

Will look forward to owning the new True Grit so as to watch it repeatedly with friends.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I am going to start this saturday morning with Fort Apache...on amc
Work on my reloads....12ga today....maybe some 45s
clean up the man cave....
and end the day with True Grit....also on AMC
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If I wanted to do a John Wayne movie marathon all I need do is plunk my phat butt on the couch and start feeding the VCR and DVD players.
I got lots of popcorn and could probably waste a week watching them one after another.

J :mrgreen: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

J Miller wrote:If I wanted to do a John Wayne movie marathon all I need do is plunk my phat butt on the couch and start feeding the VCR and DVD players.
I got lots of popcorn and could probably waste a week watching them one after another.

J :mrgreen: e
Same here....I have about 400 western movies and old tv series episodes...
its better than anything on tv today....except for NCIS....and a few shows
on the history, espn, and military channel...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Let's see, the movie was set in the winter of 1878. The 2nd model Dragoons were made from 1850 to 1851 so the one in the movie would have been from 27 to 28 years old. The Henry rifle was made from 1860 to 1866 so the one in the movie would have been from 12 to 18 years old. The Colt single action, Winchester 1873 and the 1874 Sharps would have been pretty much new guns. True the brass frame on the Henry probably should have been tarnished to a darker color but who's to say Tom Cheney didn't polish it when he wasn't killing people with it.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

I watched both versions of the movie in the same day (last movie I went to in the theater was Gran Torino). I would have to agree that the new version was "grittier" than the JW version regardless of the guns. I just saw that it was the #1 movie in America! And they say that westerns are dead...
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I have not seen it and I may infact not do so- although I usually watch westerns.

You see John Wayne was one of my childhood heroes. I do not think he was a great actor, or even a particularly good one (though he was a successful one) mainly because he used to play himself- this created credibility.

His code from the Shootist "I won't be wronged.....' is one I have sought to live my life to.

JW played the role of an old sick gunfighter at the end of his career. It was the ideal role for him. I guess I will doff my hat and not seek to compare him with anyone else and let him ride into the sunset with the dignity he deserves.
Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

I inherited a 1947 Remington Model 11 that looks new... and was used hard in the field, for birds, ducks, and deer.

The wood has some dings but the blue is nearly perfect...

Now, my 1898 .32 Colt New Pocket... that's another story! The metal is in the white!! :shock:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I liked the movie. It was really well done. Acting was great. I'm not going to pick on the condition of the guns - at least they were proper for the time period and such. That's about a 100% score for hollywierd.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I liked the movie. It was really well done. Acting was great. I'm not going to pick on the condition of the guns - at least they were proper for the time period and such. That's about a 100% score for hollywierd.
I agree. I like it alot. Will see it a another time when on the dollar theater.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Buck Elliott wrote:Lucky Ned's "SAA" is in fact a Remington Model of 1875...
Yes indeed. I was surprised that no one else mentioned it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright