Your opinions and impressions of the Winchester 64, pls?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Your opinions and impressions of the Winchester 64, pls?

Post by Canuck Bob »

My needs for a rifle are coming together. Casting is in my future and so is a working Winchester 94 in 30-30 or 32 Special.

However a Winchester 64 will eventually be my choice for a fine sporting rifle to fill up my safe. Looking for anything anyone wants to share about these rifles. I've never seen one in person but the internet pictures sure turn my head.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Your opinions and impressions of the Winchester 64, pls?

Post by geobru »

Bob,
I have fondled a few 64's. IMHO there is something elegant about that rifle. It lacks the look of a classic lever gun, but they are really cool!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This one was built in 1952. I dont think it was fired when I bought it many years ago. I have shot less than two boxs through it.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

and if I can, is there a difference in the 55 vs the 64. My 55 takedown looks just like a 64.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have one made in '53. the differences in the stock make it heavier but make deliberite shooting seem easier for Me. in the articles page of Leverguns there is one about the Win '71 which includes this.

"(3) Butt Stock: The stocking of the Model 71 (and of the Model 64) reflects the work of an NRA design team, whose leading spirit was Colonel Townsend Whelen. The aim of the stocking changes was to increase the good handling characteristics of the 1886 when used with the 71's .348 Winchester cartridge. The buttstock was made larger, with a higher comb, a higher & longer heel (which gave more pitch, which, in turn, gave more non-slip bearing surface on the shoulder). The comb was made large & well-rounded, with both the width & depth of the stock increased. Recoil effect was clearly diminished, and, like a fitted shotgun butt, rapid mounting & settling were improved. I find this to be very true when comparing my 1886 Extra Light to my 71's."
The '64 is a favorite of Mine.Good Luck.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

What 45 colt said 64's and 71's shoulder and point well and are a hunters rifle plus they are accurate. danny
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

always wanted one, will own one someday if I can find a nice one in 30-30. Seems the only ones I find that are in the condition I want are the danged 32 --- and I want a 30-30!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Canuck Bob wrote:
....a Winchester 64 will eventually be my choice for a fine sporting rifle to fill up my safe. Looking for anything anyone wants to share about these rifles. I've never seen one in person but the internet pictures sure turn my head.
The Model 64 is one of my favorite Winchesters. Like the Model 71, it feels "just right!" There are two models of the 64 commonly referred to as the Standard and the Deluxe, which has checkering and swivels. IIRC, what we call the Deluxe model was referred to and marketed as the "Deer Slayer" model by Winchester.

Here's a photo I took a while back of my '64s. There are three 30-30s and three .32 WS, and 3 standard and 3 Deluxe models which range in age from 1939 on the left to 1953 on the right. There are subtle differences, particularly in the stock shape. If you look closely, you will see that the earlier Model 64s (left to right) were more delicately shaped; the '53 on the right has the heftiest stock.

Good luck in your search for a Model 64 and I hope you find just the right one for you. They are wonderful rifles!
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

mod71alaska wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:
....a Winchester 64 will eventually be my choice for a fine sporting rifle to fill up my safe. Looking for anything anyone wants to share about these rifles. I've never seen one in person but the internet pictures sure turn my head.
The Model 64 is one of my favorite Winchesters. Like the Model 71, it feels "just right!" There are two models of the 64 commonly referred to as the Standard and the Deluxe, which has checkering and swivels. IIRC, what we call the Deluxe model was referred to and marketed as the "Deer Slayer" model by Winchester.

Here's a photo I took a while back of my '64s. There are three 30-30s and three .32 WS, and 3 standard and 3 Deluxe models which range in age from 1939 on the left to 1953 on the right. There are subtle differences, particularly in the stock shape. If you look closely, you will see that the earlier Model 64s (left to right) were more delicately shaped; the '53 on the right has the heftiest stock.

Good luck in your search for a Model 64 and I hope you find just the right one for you. They are wonderful rifles!
Once again you overwhelm me. I have one(1) !!! 64, a standard model, and I WAS a happy man. :mrgreen:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The leaner lines of the early 64s is quite noticeable. It suits the rifle a little better to my eye.

So if a 64 has a Deluxe model I'm thinking collectable for it. Could Winchester have coined a better name, I think "Deerslayer" is outstanding.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have one of the originals, a 1937 with the carbine length barrel (20") in 32 Special. But also, do not forget Winchester also made a Post 64 remake in the Model 64A which is my go to rifle. It shoots so well for me that it is the 1st rifle I go to when heading Deer Hunting. I believe they were made in 1972 only, and you can still find them for much cheaper than their Pre 64 siblings.
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

Big Bear, great collection you have there. Last month I was in a local Pawn Shop and hesitated, went back to buy it the next day and it had already been sold. You snooze you loose. I missed a great Win. 64.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have a 1939 64 in 25-35 that I absolutely cannot say enough good about.

I've won a lot of bets shooting it against bolt guns :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Brought one home today. Made in 1941. Test fire and primer backing out a little. How much to fix that?

It also levers too hard and esp. for one this old. How much to fix that?

Otherwise, it's a beauty. As some have said it's got the "delicate look." Narrow forend rather than semi-beavertail like on my Browning model 71.

Paid 650 and 30 S&H and 20 to transfer dealer so 700.00 total.

Handles real nice and weighs 7 lbs even unloaded. Trigger pull about 4.5 lbs and if keep it will get that down to 3.0

Shows typical wear of blueing and been re-blued years ago. Nearly all stampings left intact.

Old time quality for sure.

Don McCullough
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Model 55 variant of the 94 was a straight grip, half mag, the std. "rifle forend & cap", and a 24" barrel. TD & pistol grip versions were special order.

The mdl 64 is as mod71alaska describes it, and varies from every other Winchester 94 or variant in the semi-beavertail forearm.

Don,

The fix for excessive headspace is a "thicker" locking lug. Yet, not all primer backing out symptoms are related to excessive headspace. Needs measuring for a truly knowledgeable fix. Sometimes, a tight chamber and max headspace can keep a case from being shoved hard enough against the bolt face to push the primer back in, (which should somewhat flatten the primer). Light loads will also often show backed out primers.

As for the "hard" levering... depends on what's causing it. It could be a sticking roll pin; dirty, gummy lube on the bolt. Needs to be taken apart and inspected.

:mrgreen: :lol: Or you could just send me that defective rifle and let me work out the bugs FOR ya! Might take a few months... shouldn't be more'n a year or two! :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I have one that I mounted a Marble's tang sight on. It shoots great and is one of the slickest, smoothest, leverguns I own. I shot a box of 150gr and 170gr through it last week. I could easily keep 3 shots inside a 3" bull at 100yds. However, for me, it is a big rifle for a 30-30. I will be letting it go in the future.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

You might consider the carbine version with 20" bbl. I'm going to have mine cut back to 20" along with other repairs. It's already been reblued so not really harming the value of it and making it a carbine might even increase it's value. Also have fiber optic front sight put on it. It'll end-up under 7 lbs--what it weighs now--and be considerably easier to carry than my model 71 Browning carbine.

Why carbine? I have a Browning model 71 carbine and it's short 20" bbl. makes it more handy--to me, at least--than if it had the 24" of the standard 71. Little lighter too.

Why the model 64 rather than the typical pre-64 model 94? For years I've been most enthused about the model 94 SRC. That's changed. I have found the shotgun butt of the model 71 and 64 to be much better than the curved butt plate of the 94 carbine or rifle. My model 70, 71 and 64 all have this shotgun style of butt plate. With the harder kicking guns it spreads the recoil more, and, it's just all-around more practical. Top quality too. Quality is a biggie with me.

I also find the more narrow fore stock of my 1941 model 64 very appealing and I like the feel of it better than the much wider fore stock of my model 71 Browning. As others have said, this narrow fore stock is only on the earlier model 64s. I also believe I prefer the looks of the fore stock hook-up of the 71 and 64 over the barrel bands of the 94 carbines.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've always liked the 64 but mostly because my Grandfather carried one while a warden in the late 30's and 40's. Having started with straight-grips they just feel better. That is why I like the rifle on the left the best. It was a 94 rifle originally made in 1899. It was returned to the factory sometime in the 30's and had a complete 64 front end installed in 32W.S. in addition to a 56 Lyman receiver sight. This is the most well balanced and one of the most accurate lever actions I've ever owned.
Next is a standard 64 in 30-30 made in 49. Third is a standard in 32 made in 52. On the right is a 20 inch standard in 30-30 made in 37. I never understood why they are called carbines when it would seem to me they are actually short rifles.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.