If the Marlin 1881 were reproduced, would you buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

If the Marlin 1881 were reproduced, would you buy?

Post by Gary7 »

I noticed Uberti is now offering a reproduction of the 1883 Burgess. If Uberti or Pedersoli or Cimarron were to start offering a reproduction of the Marlin 1881 in 45-70, would you be interested?
Hobie

Re: If the Marlin 1881 were reproduced, would you buy?

Post by Hobie »

I am INTERESTED in all of them but CAN I AFFORD all of them? :wink: Too many rifles, not enough money.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
chipper
Levergunner

Post by chipper »

Hobie wrote:I am INTERESTED in all of them but CAN I AFFORD all of them? :wink: Too many rifles, not enough money.
Same here !
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Oh I'd def. want one.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I would be, but I want a 40-65
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Hobie said.

I really like the old guns. But, they are out of my pay scale so all I can say is ... yes, I'd be interested.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If someone would reproduce the REAL 1895 Marlin then they'd have somethin'. The '81 is too frail for serious loads.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I am often scoffed at by the purists. I really do see their point but they rarely see mine. I have had originals. Most I got rid of because they were worth too much to "play" with. I like the beauty of the mechanisms. It doesn't matter to me if it is real of Memorex. Plus if I break of replica, big deal, go get another one. Compared to originals, they are cheaper (most of the time) AND I feel no guilt of breaking a piece of history as I would do if original. So count me in.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike D. wrote:If someone would reproduce the REAL 1895 Marlin then they'd have somethin'. The '81 is too frail for serious loads.
Exactly my thoughts. And then it would depend on which country it was made in. I know this sounds a bit weird, but I have a problem buying/shooting any gun of American design that has "Made in Japan" or "Made in Italy" roll died on it. I will say the Japs make some incredible guns of extreme strength, beauty, and accuracy, but hey, the memories or WW2 will turn me off. The Italians sure have come up on quality control, but once again (and I'm half Italian :D ) its an American design produced by non-Americans. I just would not feel good about it

I'll stay with my originals--you can't hurt 'em---(no smart relies from those of you who know about my old '86 :D )-------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

Mike D. wrote:If someone would reproduce the REAL 1895 Marlin then they'd have somethin'. The '81 is too frail for serious loads.
For "serious loads" I assume you mean 45-70 loaded up to pressures and velocities the cartridge was never originally designed for.

I would assume an 1881 made with modern steels would be more than stout enough for "normal" 45-70 loads.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It might depend on whether I pick up an Uberti Colt-Burgess in the coming months. I'm studying what I might be able to turn one into. From the factory, these are for my tastes too heavy for such a light recoiling cartridge as the .44 WCF. Colt was able to lighten them greatly, and I'm looking into that.

Still, were Uberti to make a thin side 1881 in .32-40 or .38-55 it'd be very difficult to say no.

On second thought, I know I couldn't say no, so just count me in. :)

On the other hand, I don't have a great deal of interest in the full size frame. I just don't feel a strong need for a .45-70 in my cabinet. Well, maybe if they stretched history a bit and offered it in .38-56 as well. :|