Well equiped horse from the 1920s.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Well equiped horse from the 1920s.

Post by rangerider7 »

It even has a canvas war bag on the back of the saddle. The old retired sheriff in west Texas had a saddle just about like this one. He was laid up and wasn't going to be able to ride anymore. I was looking in the barn and land that my uncle had bought that was formerly the sheriff's place and found his old saddle. I looked through the war bag and found his old spurs, coffee pot, frying pan, a box of 30-30 cartridges, a flint, holster and eating utensils. I decided to go over to his house in town and see if he wanted to sell the rig. His son didn't care. I sit and talked with him to see how he was feeling. We talked about old times when I had road with him as a young man looking for some rustlers that had cut a fence and took off with some of the cattle of a man I worked for. 6000 acres later we found them trying to change the brands. He made them walk all the way back to his truck and horse trailer while herding the cattle in front of us, loaded his horse up and made them walk to the ranch house while we drove. A couple of deputies were called to take them to jail. He made me feel pretty important when he told me to keep my "94" 30-30 on them while he rolled a cigarette on the way back to his truck. He ask me what would I have done if they had made a break for it. I said "shoot them". He said "I figured you would, you were a good hand". I ask him when he was going to be able to ride even though the doctors had given him little hope to last through the month. He said " it will take a little time but I'll climb back on soon". I didn't say anything about the saddle but wished him well and left. He died a few weeks later. When I went back to see about the saddle after his funeral his son had traded it for a couple of cases of beer. He wouldn't tell me to who. I didn't have much use for the son anyway and I sure didn't then. This photo reminds me of his horse and saddle. It would have been special to me to take care of his rig for him.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Re: Well equiped horse from the 1920s.

Post by Hobie »

You're another of our members who ought to write a book... thanks for sharing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Where’s the girl :?: :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

rangerider7 wrote: When I went back to see about the saddle after his funeral his son had traded it for a couple of cases of beer.
that just makes me ill. :cry:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very sad that a man like that had a son that could do such a thing.
I hope that beer left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Nice photo RR.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hobie wrote:You're another of our members who ought to write a book... thanks for sharing.
:D +1 :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

A great pic and a cool story...every young guy needs an "Old Man" your story reminds me of my "Old Man"...Thanks
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

A cousin of mine, now long dead (murdered by the types she hung around with) sold a Trapdoor Springfield of my grandfather's for drug money in the 80s and probably got pennies for it.

It wasn't a family original, but my grandmother had bought it for him many years before "for deer hunting" (he got a more modern rifle before being laughed out of deer camp apparently.... a Winchester 94 from what i know). However it was personalized by the soldier who it had been issued to (name and unit carved on the stock) from what my dad told me as he had seen it many times.

Sad, but whether or not you like them, they "are" family.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Once Again Rangerider,Thank You.....Men like You are a National Treasure.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I so appreciate your posts. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Kids will be kids.

Young men tend to lack a sentimental quality until they become old men and begin to spend significant time reflecting on their deeds.

It'll take him a couple of decades to figure out that he's made a bad trade that he'll always regret.

:(
Last edited by FWiedner on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

RR7: Another interesting personal recollection and a great photo of the horse. Thanks ! :)
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I can't comment on what he was thnking, but o0bviously a few brain cells were not working. I have made vsure that my family knows history behind rifles/ shotguns that I have. Their call when I'm gone but my son knows what he likes.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

OOO,the stories that rig could have told, darn shame
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pokey wrote:
rangerider7 wrote: When I went back to see about the saddle after his funeral his son had traded it for a couple of cases of beer.
that just makes me ill. :cry:
Same here. How is it that sometimes such decent parents turn out pretty junky offspring?

I had a patient the other day tell me her grown-up-age daughter was "just a total loser" - I can't imagine how bad it must feel to utter those words. :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

RR7, great photo. It's too bad you didn't strike a deal with the Ole Sheriff before you left. Water under the bridge. I'd love to find a great ole slick fork w/a high cantle like that, but most all of them ole saddles have to small a seat for my backside. My dad was born and raised in Sentinel Butte, ND. There used to be a saddlery there, Sentinel Butte Saddlery. I'm trying to pick up one of those saddles in good shape with a 16" seat. Still looking.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Great story, I reckon alot of us have seen that happen with family, sure does hurt.
That is a fine looking horse and rig, looks like somebody is ready for some cow huntin', or maybe man huntin'. Thanks,
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great photo and story Rangerider. I know what that debt of honor feels like, and to have others have not a care in the world about it. It's like watching General Lee's sword getting sold to a pawn shop. My Uncle John was one of two men that I just about owed everything to....lived with him for 4 critical years when I could have gone either way and he made the difference. When his saddles and pistol were going up for sale(to whoever would buy them), I sold my favorite rifle and scraped together all I could to at least save those. I will pass them down to the next generation to those who will hear his story. This is my middle boy Alexander pretending to ride the range.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thank-you for the photo and the story.
It is not the critic who counts
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

another great post.....

trading that rig for a couple cases of beer....what a watse of a ......well never mind...

I think I would have "convinced him"... to tell me.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Another great story .... Amen to that. I always appreciate the photos and the stories that go with them

Thanks, for posting
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Keep the pics and stories coming. I love them!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hobie wrote:You're another of our members who ought to write a book... thanks for sharing.

That is a great idea. I will buy it. 1886.