Client firearms-hunting data for 20 yrs NOW SHIPPING

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Client firearms-hunting data for 20 yrs NOW SHIPPING

Post by 86er »

Fellow Levergunners -

I have collected data from clients' hunts since 1987 (up until 2007). The data includes caliber, bullet weight, brand or bullet or ammo manufacturer, species, distance to shot, # of shots necessary, how far the animal went after being shot (there are a few "unrecovered"), whether or not the bullet exited, shot placement, type of firearm.

Up until now the data has been on individual information cards that were hand written.

1000 Tags Filled by Josef A. Riekers and John C. Clark is a booklet that contains all the data in a readable, useable format. It includes an informational introduction. Featured are selections from 1000 animals that were shot by my clients over a 20 year period. Nearly 1000 more were discarded due to a lack of information or other factors, so we cherry picked the most complete useful information to compile this booklet.

There are a handful of less common cartridges, like the 26 Nitro for example. Original military cartridges are well represented like 30-40. 30-06, 308, 7X57, 303 Brit, 223, 45-70, etc. Levergun cartridges are well represented with over 100 entries for 30-30 alone. Offhand 35 Rem, 32 Special, 444 Marlin, 25-35, 348 Win and others are represented. There are also 12 and 20 gauge shotguns and 50 -72 caliber muzzleloaders listed. Even big boys like 450 NE, 458 Lott and 470 NE are featured.

You will not see any WSM, WSSM, RUM, RSAUM, RCM, 30 Rem, 30 T/C, Socom or Beowolfs, etc. Some of these cartridges were not around and some were in their infancy prior to 2007 so the data did not capture the results of their use.

We did not include every tid-bit of information nor did we make every comparison combination imaginable. To do so would have created a phone-book thick series of volumes. You do have to make some conclusions on your own. For instance, if you see a 45-70 shooting a 300 grain Nosler Partition it is safe to assume the velocity is quite close to 1880 fps as that is the stated factory velocity. If you want to know how your 300 Ruger Compact Magnum will perform with a certain bullet/weight combination you'd do well to study the 300 Win Mag with the same components. If you'd like to see what shot produces a shorter tracking job between the shoulder, heart/lung or neck shot you can make an overall comparison or you can limit it to a single cartridge. If you are wanting to use a certain cartridge on elk but there are no elk listed for that cartridge you can find an animal of similar size for the bullet weight/diameter/velocity you want to check. There are around 77 species of animals represented.

For brevity, some identifiers represent more than one item. For example, "ram" includes all ram species under 120 pounds while Desert Sheep or Bighorn is used to distinguish those individual animals. "Elk" includes the four US species. "Black bear" are lumped together however if you see it was shot at less than 30 yards you can bet it was over bait in thick woods where the black bear taken further out were western or coastal bears taken during a spot and stalk.

You can use the data any way you want and you can post or correspond to others about comparisons you've made using the data. What you cannot do is distribute the data, copy it or share it electronically. The booklet in print and electronic format is copyrighted, includes trademarks and has an ISBN # assigned to it. Our intent is to share this info with the Leverguns Forum community primarily but other interested parties are welcome as well. Therefore, we are trusting our Levergun family to respect the information and abide by the rules. If you want to print out a copy to share with your brother, ask permission. A written permission will be sent for a one-time sharing in certain, limited situations. Although we don't expect it, if the whole booklet shows up on the internet somewhere we are prepared to enforce the copyright with civil remedies through our intellectual property attorney, but I am confident it is not necessary.

In order to expedite the receipt of the booklet here's the plan: For $5 you can receive it electronically or for $7.25 you can receive it in print format, stapled in a 9"X12" envelope mailed to you. I will collect the orders and payment from now until January 15th. On January 16th all orders will be e-mailed or sent via USPS mail. If you purchase a print copy, include your e-mail in your correspondence so you can receive an order verification. Orders for electronic copies will receive an e-mail confirmation and will serve as a test to make sure your e-mail will receive the order. You can send a check for an e-copy or send PayPal for a print copy - that doesn't matter and I'll know by the amount.

You can order electroncally by using PayPal and sending to: twotube@optonline.net

You can order by sending a check to: J.Riekers 2740 State Highway 276, Suite 100-32 Rockwall, Texas 75032.
If you have any questions, you can post them here and John and I will reply.

Thanks!
Last edited by 86er on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Client firearms-hunting data for 20 yrs soon available.

Post by RKrodle »

That will be some really interesting information. Count me in for an E copy.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Again - this promises to be very interesting. Count me in, I will be sending a check.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Count me in for an E Copy also.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I'll be sending a check. I don't have a paypal account.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

That should be some very interesting reading! :D
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Sounds good. I 'll get a check out to you next week.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Excellent. I've been waiting for quite some time for someone to compile such a study. I'd love to write a review when it's ready.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

1/2 the data that John prototyped came out in a 15 page booklet, so figure it will print out twice that +/- a few.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Client firearms-hunting data for 20 yrs NOW SHIPPING

Post by 86er »

The booklet is 126 pages! I have a few hardcopies left and you can get it sent to your e-mail in electronic format. Ready to ship for your reference pleasure.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Thanks Joe! I got my electronic copy! MASSIVE amount of data! I've been going over it for over an hour now, and have barely scraped the surface. Being a data freak, this is the kind of stuff I drool over! :D

Thank you so much for making this available to us!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

All orders for electronic copies that were placed today or earlier were sent. If you did not receive one and should have, please PM me. Mail orders will go out on Monday if they were received between 12/15 and 12/30. Thanks! If anyone else wants a copy, follow the instructions in the post and I'll get them out immediately.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just ordered both Joe. Looking forward to studying... er... er... er... ok, studying the data.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Griff - ecopy sent. Hard copy will mail.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member