off topic - Any .303 British shooters out there?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

off topic - Any .303 British shooters out there?

Post by rjohns94 »

Looking for your experiences with the cartridge, problems encountered, hunting success? reloading tips? thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Re: off topic - Any .303 British shooters out there?

Post by Hobie »

I shoot it in No. 4 rifles (a MK I and MK I*). I like it. The rifles can be a lot more accurate than they are often reported to be. Mike and I, his No. 4 had a stock that looked like a beaver had a snack from it, took some Greek ball and shot 7-10" groups with issue sights at a measured 600 yards. The key to the precision was a high contrast target and perfect lighting (at least for me) but it does show the best these guns can do. BTW, the Greek ball shot to the sights at all ranges.

I load to duplicate issue ballistics. No reason to do otherwise. However, I did load some 150 gr. Hornady bullets to about 2700 fps which Mike used to head shoot a doe at a paced 143 yards (witnessed).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I've owned a couple of No1 MkIII WWI vets and currently have a No4. No experience with reloading them but probably my favorite milsurps to keep in stock form. Very fun rifles to shoot IMO.

I would advise against shooting the surplus Paki .303 that's on market (POF headstamp IIRC). Lots of hangfires. I have enough excitement in my life, I don't need hangfires added to the list. :wink:

One of those WWI vets got me 3 or 4 hits on a 36" tall acetylene tank at 400yds over open sights. Of course my eyes aren't what they used to be and I rarely shoot over 100yds (or open sights, I gotta change that) so having a spotter calling the shots was pretty handy... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I have a #4 mk2 that shoots great. When I got it there were reamer marks in the bore on top of the lands. A couple hundred paper patched lead and the bore looks like the finest custom barrel. Fact is it liked the paper patched 311466 so well that's about all I load. 2860fps with AA2495 and 2/2.5 for five at a hundred.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My #4 likes H414 and does ok with H4895 with 150 or 180 gr bullets. They are in the 2350 fps range although I have run them up to 2425 fps with no problems in accuracy or function of the rifle. I notice an increase in accuracy when I apply a heavy Lee factory crimp. I've used the 150 Sierra on hogs a few times. The bullets expand quickly but haven't exited. I shot an oryx that was previously wounded and making a get-away. The 150 hit it next to the tail and took out 5 vertebrae before diving into the liver. Bang-Flop-Dead. The potential is certainly there for a deer-hog-bear rifle. The ammo or components are cheap enough to make target shooting reasonable. The 180 gr spire points I used were bulk and I'm not sure of the manufacturer. I have not shot any game with them. As far as practice, I enjoy shooting the Enfield more than any other rifle. The recoil and report are mild. The accuracy with open peep sight is very good. The rifle functions flawlessly and conveniently will hold more than 5 rounds. A 303 Brit express rifle or light double would be a great stalking rifle too! There are many reports to compare in my data that is coming out soon.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have three No. 4s, two brits and one Savage. One brit is still in full military trim, the other brit has been "tastefully" sporterized; Fajen wood, polished and blued, 22" barrel with a Williams hooded ramp sight riginal rear sight. It is not my most accurate rifle but it groups 2"-3" at 100 or so yards. The Savage is a genuine bubba sporter, cut down wood, 18" barrel (with original sight reinstalled, without protectors) good crown; a great truck gun.

I will have to look at my handloading notes to see what I have been using but I keep the brass separate for each rifle and only neck size (Lee Collett Dies plus FCD)

I would have liked to have bought Stan in SC's Santa Fe Sporter, but my gun/ammo account was a little low at the time.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've a few left. Had a pretty serious Endfield collection for awhile.
Only hunted once with a .303. The deer took about two steps and dropped after I hit it with a 174 Gr. Hornady.
Favorite load is a 200 gr RN GC and 8 grains of Unique. Just a fun plinker. I probably shoot
more .303s than any of my other centerfires.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Jason, where do you get your 200gr Gas Checked bullets?

Damien
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don't leave me much to say does it. Anywho I currently have a LongBranch No4 Mk1 in battle trim. I've been shooting a load consisting of the Sierra 180gr Pro Hunter over 46grs of Winchester 760 powder. Supposed to be around 2400 ± fps. Shoots pretty good.
I've never hunted with them as I really don't feel like carrying an almost 10 pound battle rifle around the boonies.

I've had three No4 Mk1s and one No5 Mk1 all of which I wish I kept.

Their biggest foibles are the over sized chambers you'll usually find and loose head space. They are after all battle rifles and reloading their ammo wasn't even imagined. I've found that if you either short sized them or neck size them it will prolong case life.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

J Miller wrote: Their biggest foibles are the over sized chambers you'll usually find and loose head space.
Joe
I bought a Jungle carbine with a scope from an acquaintance for $50 a few years ago because after taking it deer hunting one time, he decided it wasn't any good (missed even close game, made tremendous boom, etc). Anyway, I decided to test fire it one time while holding it away from my face as far as i could and got the same result, plus some blowby! Started looking at it carefully and found that one of the scope mount screws wasn't allowing the bolt to close all of the way. You can bet that chamber was too big and had too much headspace with that bolt not all the way closed --- it split the .303 brass all down one side! I took the scope mount off the receiver and no more problem. I can't imagine how my acquaintance had managed to shoot almost a box of shells through it on his deer hunt!??! :mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I was only just wondering today if any of you fellers had done any hunting with our 303 :lol:

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

NATH, I'm thinking about using the 303 in S Africa if I can get a load that my BSA commercial likes.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I allways remember an old friend telling me how he competed in the army with one. He shot to 1200 yards with it.

Maybe this English website will be of use,,,,,,

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Rifle_Sh ... nfield.htm

Best wishes, take the camera to Africa oh! The Boars don't really like the 303 :lol: :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Love the 303B,it has become pretty much a reloader cartridge but will get the job done!Have a few but the No4 mk1 is easier on my eyes because of the peep sight. Like already stated POF ammo not good. If you have more then one and reload they say to keep your brass separate.Have been using IMR4350 with Sierra 180's with good results.S&K makes a nice scope mount.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have several, due to my general $$ and ammo shortage have not shot two of them yet.

A No.4 Mk1 was my first rifle. I've shot it on man size targets out to 400, truck size at 600m and 1,000m. I think at 1,000 we'd have scared whoever was in the truck a bit, no vouching for direct hits or not (spotting with 10X binoculars, couldn't tell) but out to 600 we were dead on.

Never hunted with mine.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote:I've a few left. Had a pretty serious Endfield collection for awhile.
Only hunted once with a .303. The deer took about two steps and dropped after I hit it with a 174 Gr. Hornady.
Favorite load is a 200 gr RN GC and 8 grains of Unique. Just a fun plinker. I probably shoot
more .303s than any of my other centerfires.

jb 8)
Just a few! :D

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't got around to shooting the SMLE I picked up last year. I can't wait to do so!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My favorite load and Joe Miller can attest to its accuracy. Is WW brass, Win LR primers, 43gr of 4320, and Sierra 180gr Pro Hunters. Brass is neck sized only after the first fire and COAL is loaded to SAMMI max. I haven't clocked it but book listed is 2440fps. In my No4 Mk1* Savage that load shoots to the sites as far as I can see to shoot with the peep. The critters I have shot with that load were not long for this world.

Jay you need to get off your duff and get that girl shooting.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Jay you need to get off your duff and get that girl shooting.
I know - I know. I had a bunch of rifles I was going to shoot this summer at my FIL's farm in Ohio, but we never made the trip. Too much going on, and my business travel this year has been, well, rather intense. No excuse - I do need to get to it!!! Y2K is itching to shoot this one as well - and a bunch of others! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy's load is a good one. I've got some loaded up and really need to go bench test it. But without even checking point of impact I was clobbering the 200 yard ram with it in IN last year. So that does tell me something.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I still own 7 or 8 of them. Growing up here every house had at least one cut down 303 behind the door. First rifle I ever shot or owned was one. I've shot tons of deer, moose and elk with one. The old 200 grain loads were great for moose but the 180's work just fine. I use cast loads or FMJ for coyotes. The big trick is to shoot the brass in one rifle, then just necksize. The cases will last longer and accuracy will be better.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

2ndovc, thats a fine lot of 303's you have there, could not help noticing the nice stock job on the Martini cadet rifle is it still in 310 or have you modified it.

Nath, think your aside about the boars went fairly well un-noticed, hey the Poms and the Aussies didnt like the 7x57 much either. The only Boars that shot back!!! :lol:

The old 303, must get myself one, there are still plenty of good ones around down here that have had a FTR at Lithgow
in the fifties and hardly used since.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

My Dad shot five bullseyes and a inner at 600 yards with one when he was in the war.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

the telegraphist wrote:2ndovc, thats a fine lot of 303's you have there, could not help noticing the nice stock job on the Martini cadet rifle is it still in 310 or have you modified it.

Nath, think your aside about the boars went fairly well un-noticed, hey the Poms and the Aussies didnt like the 7x57 much either. The only Boars that shot back!!! :lol:

The old 303, must get myself one, there are still plenty of good ones around down here that have had a FTR at Lithgow
in the fifties and hardly used since.
I picked up the Cadet cheap as it had already been sporterized and bored out to .357mag. Was poorly done, I had it rebarreled to .25-20 and set of Parker Hale sights that i had in my parts box mounted. Turned out to be a real tack driver. I still need to replace the fore arm to finish the project.

jb 8)

Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I've still got my competition 303 here complete with parker hale target peep sights. I used to shoot DCRA matches here in Canada. Start at 600 yards and go out to 1000. At that time they were all shot with 303's in their own class. The 303 is a very underrated cartridge usually by those who haven't had a chance to really play around with it and use it under different settings.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

.303 good from Mice to Moose!
My first Real rifle was a .303 sporterized still have it take the old girl out once in a wile too.
Favorite load is a large dose of 4320 and a 180gr Serria.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I wish I still had my first one. It was British made, serial # C20814. I buba'ized it to try to sporterize it. Made it look stupid. :oops: It still shot good though. It's favorite load was a heaping helping of DuPont IMR 4831 under a Hornady 174gr RN.

I never hunted anything but Arizona rocks. A task it was well suited for. I never had a rock run away after I hit it with that old Enfield.

I miss those good old days. I was buying mil-surp ammo for really really cheep :P and got in A LOT of shooting with it. Now I'm lucky to see any mil-surp at all, and it's really getting expensive. :(

Joe
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Have had uncanny accuracy using a cast bullet from the Lee CTL312-160-2R, cast from WW adding 5-10% tin, add gas checks, and sized right at .312, they drop at an average of 169 grains. With 15 grains of Unique they generate a little over 1700 fps out of my Enfield:

Jacketed I use H4895 and a Hornady 150 ('bout 2500 fps) or Sierra 174 (around 2400 fps), both work fine, but leave me with a 2" spread at 100 yards. Those cast will cloverleaf all day long!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Lithgows are my favorites. Just downright classy!!

jb 8)

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I've had decent accuracy (2"-3" @ 100 yards) with 174gr Hornady RN Interlocks, R-P Brass neck sized w/ Lee Collett Dies and then using a FCD, CCI 200 LR primers, 40.0 gr RL15, OAL 2.95".
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm really indebted to Jeremy Reed for his help in loading for my No4 Mk1* Savage. I use the same bullet he does, the Sierra 180 grain spitzer Pro Hunter. It has a flat base that is supposed to work better in the Savage 2 groove barrels. I also neck size the fire-formed cases with Lee neck sizing dies as per Jeremy's recommendations. The only thing I do different is I apply the same combination of powders and primers that has served me so well in my 358 Winchester which is Varget and a CCI BR-2 primer on Remington brass. Works very well for me.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I forgot to post pics! This rifle was found at a local gunshow still in cosmoline before I stripped and restored the wood (the metal is original). Its not as nice or original as Jeremy's but I've always been thrilled but how the final project worked out. The Huber Concepts trigger is also a big improvement! -Tutt

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

CowboyTutt wrote:The Huber Concepts trigger is also a big improvement! -Tutt
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that. Info? :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Worst part up here is that surplus ammo for them have dried right up so it is reloading for alot of shooting. They take to cast bullets really well for the most part. Truly fantastic rifles, no matter what model you have. There used to be alot of wildcatting with the cartridge up here too and I know that in NZ and Australia there was too. The 375-303 is supposed to be a fantastic cartridge,.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It's an adjustable trigger for the various Enfields.
http://www.huberconcepts.com/Lee-Enfiel ... cement.htm
If my Enfield had a better barrel I'd be tempted to try one.

Joe