Black powder loading - part II

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Black powder loading - part II

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, last weekend I loaded up 100 .44 Russian cartridges, my first foray into the wonderful world of black powder cartridge reloading. It was a ton of fun, and just like regular (smokeless) reloading, it's addictive. :D

Here's the original post:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31260

Friday afternoon I had an hour-long teleconference to participate in. This was one of those where I just mostly listened in, not having to lead the discussion or run the NetMeeting. During these, I try not to multi-task, as I know I'll quickly get absorbed in some other aspect of the never-ending work pile, and lose track of the teleconference. However, sitting just listening can drive you batty - so I needed something to do that would keep me focused on the teleconference and my computer, but that I could do almost on auto-pilot.

Often, my default in these cases is to pop primers and resize cases. That day, however, I decided to prime 100 new R-P .45 Colt cases, looking forward to loading my first .45 Colt black powder rounds over the weekend. :D

Here's the set-up before the teleconference started. Cut it close - was backing up my computer and had about 2 minutes to spare! :shock:

Spreading out my work.

Then help arrived.

Half way through.

And done.

I started with 50 primers in the Lee priming tool, so ended with 50 in it as well after opening a new sleeve. I cut the label off the sleeve box, tape it to the tool, and tape over the exit hole. This will go back into my reloading cabinet as is. I know everyone always advocates keeping primers in their original container, but for such a small number, I don't worry. Besides, they won't be in their long! :wink:

The Lee priming tool is great - not bench-mounted press needed. I use this exclusively now, and it gives me a better feel for primer seating.

Win-win situation. I can focus on the teleconference, getting more out of it and contributing more when needed. And I get to prime 100 cases as well. De-priming and priming are the only reloading functions I would feel comfortable doing while somewhat multi-tasking. NEVER charging the case!

I've already loaded my first 50 (last night). 40 grains of the Goex "Cartridge" black powder, which with the .45 "Big Lube" 250-grainer, ended up being compressed moderately. I will load the remaining 50 cases with 37 grains this evening.

This has now got me hooked. Looks like a Lyman "Classic" 55 measure - safe with black powder - is in my near future!!! :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Black powder loading - part II

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. Can't wait for the range report. It'd be nice to have someone take some pics of you shooting those.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

One of these days I'm going to have to try those big lube bullets. They look pretty nice.

What is that you have holding the cover on your Auto Prime tool? Just curious cos mine is a bit worn and likes to come loose too.

I used to have an assistant that would get right in the middle of my loading bench, curl up and go to sleep as I was working on my ammo.
I'd have everything arranged ... around her.

Now, perhaps I've missed a chapter somewhere but do you have a static electricity problem at your house? Those times I've loaded BP I just poured it into the bottom of a yellow plastic Speer bullet box and dipped it out with a Lee plastic dipper. Poured it into the tray to weigh it then into the cases.
I've never blown myself up. Am I being careless, stupid, or what?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Professor, some say plastic is a no no around BP. Static electricity discharge setting off the powder. Tests have been done, but I don't know which end of the pendulum the thought is right now.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kimwcook wrote:Professor, some say plastic is a no no around BP. Static electricity discharge setting off the powder. Tests have been done, but I don't know which end of the pendulum the thought is right now.
Hmmm, I saw a video on a forum a couple years ago where they tried to ignite gun powder with a major bolt of static electricity. They couldn't do it. I'm not sure if it was black or smokeless powder.
Perhaps I should rethink my procedures?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Joe,

If you look at the powder measures that are being sold for use with the Holy Black you'll see aluminum or brass hoppers and rotors, with usually an iron body.

Are they being cautious to silly degree? Or sensible? Who knows. Factories are very poor in communicating with us, as we all know, so it's pretty tough to say for sure.

One poster over at the CastBoolits forum put it in a way that made sense to me though; "If it keeps a pound of black powder from going up in my face, it's worth it."

I'm heading down the same road as YK has been. I have two very nice RCBS measures, both of which say "Not for use with Black Powder" on them. *Sigh*

I looked at my old Lyman on the off chance, and what do you know, it has a brass drum! So I called Buffalo Arms and they're sending me one of their brass hopper's for the 55. So I should be good.

It's just a few dollars and then I'll be good to go. Your methods may vary, of course.

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

THATS what I call combining business and pleasure! :D Which endevor where you focusing on most?

Yea Kid, we is all addicted. (ebonics)-----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jay sitting here looking at your pictures I noticed you wear safety glasses, a great practice. Then I got to thinking what if you're in the middle of your call and you happen to need those glasses... I mean, what if a primer goes POP! ??????

I'd (snicker snicker) :oops: like to hear the rest of that conversation.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:One of these days I'm going to have to try those big lube bullets. They look pretty nice.

What is that you have holding the cover on your Auto Prime tool? Just curious cos mine is a bit worn and likes to come loose too.

I used to have an assistant that would get right in the middle of my loading bench, curl up and go to sleep as I was working on my ammo.
I'd have everything arranged ... around her.

Now, perhaps I've missed a chapter somewhere but do you have a static electricity problem at your house? Those times I've loaded BP I just poured it into the bottom of a yellow plastic Speer bullet box and dipped it out with a Lee plastic dipper. Poured it into the tray to weigh it then into the cases.
I've never blown myself up. Am I being careless, stupid, or what?

Joe
Joe -

As Kim noted, most companies don't endorse the use of plastic reloading equipment with black powder. I think it has more to do with the liability potential than the actual risk, but I'm not arguing with it. Catshooter's "pound" analogy was spot on - and enough for me!

My little helper loves when I am in the office all day. I get several visits throughout the day! :D

I'm planning on ordering more of the big lube bullets - some 300 grainers for the .45-60 and some 405's for the 45-70. I was really impressed - just hope they shoot as well as they were packaged and look!

The "straps" on the auto-prime are actually velcro strips. A pretty inexpensive solution. Mine had come lose as well, and after spilling 100 primers on the floor once, I wasn't about to do it again. I put velcro on the bottom of the unit, and on the lid, and it simply wraps around to hold it securely.

Since this, I got a second unit NIB for a DEEP discount (couldn't resist), so I marked one for large primers and one for small primers. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:THATS what I call combining business and pleasure! :D Which endevor where you focusing on most?

Yea Kid, we is all addicted. (ebonics)-----------------Sixgun
Actually, the teleconference. I'm terrible in the office - multi-tasking to the max. When I get on a teleconference - and I normally have 1-2 a day when I am in the office (worse day I can remember I had seven!!! :shock: ) - I'm thinking about all the e-mails and other things piling up. If I start to check e-mails I'm done - I know I'll barely pay attention to the teleconference. Just never enough hours in the day...

This way, the teleconference gets 95% of my attention, versus the 50% (at best) it would get otherwise. Win-win! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:Jay sitting here looking at your pictures I noticed you wear safety glasses, a great practice. Then I got to thinking what if you're in the middle of your call and you happen to need those glasses... I mean, what if a primer goes POP! ??????

I'd (snicker snicker) :oops: like to hear the rest of that conversation.
Rusty, I do try to wear safety classes when I'm reloading. I never thought about what I'd say if one went off.

I usually mute my phone and put it on speaker for teleconferences unless I'm doing a lot of talking. A few years ago I was on one, forgot I wasn't on mute, and belched so loud the pictures almost fell off the way. Right then teleconference went silent, then I heard snickering. Fortunately there were so many people on the line that my guilt was not apparent. :oops:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I know a national champion shooter that uses the Lee perfect measure for his bp loads.
I know a few more that use the RCBS electronic powder measure and scale, and a few more that use the Lyman dps unit for blackpowder.
The Lyman 55 was assured as a safe bp measure until a few years ago. Matter of fact even the instructions that came with the lyman 55's told of how the graduations on the slides were regulated for blackpowder, and this was before they decided to charge more for the aluminum hopper.
Some of the volume CAS shooters use the Dillon550 and some use the simple lee dippers for black powder.
I do use the Lyman 55 blackpowder measure, but I've also used my Lee perfect and my Rcbs uniflow on occasion, and as soon as my 50 bmg press set up gets sold I'm going to use that money for one of the Lyman dps units.
Here's a link to the static tests Joe spoke of.http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_exp ... parks.html
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I'd not wanna use a NEW plastic measure for BP, but my well-seasoned Lee Perfect, so coated with graphite from pounds and pounds of smokeless would certainly be about as static-neutral as brass at this point. If I was starting with a NEW Lee perfect, I'd simply get a bowl to catch the powder and run a couple of pounds of smokeless through it to season it first.
Certified gun nut
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I do the same thing when I'm on a conference call and at home. I sit at the reloading bench with the laptop on.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WOW! And all I do when I'm hand priming cases is post on here & watch TV! :lol: :lol: And I thought that was multi-tasking! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!