Kinda OT - Reloading Black Powder cartridges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Kinda OT - Reloading Black Powder cartridges

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kinda OT - just because the rounds will be used in both a lever (a Spencer 1865 clone) and a revolver (a Colt 1872 "open-top" clone).

In the thousands and thousands of rounds I have reloading over the past three decades I had never reloaded a black powder cartridge round - until now. I had purchased 100 pieces of new .44 Russian Starline brass from a fellow forum member a few months back, and decided they needed to be loaded with the "real black". I had an unopened can of Goex "Cartridge" black powder. All I needed was the appropriate bullets, so I ordered up a bunch of .357, .44 and .45 caliber bullets from "Big Lube Bullets". Took about 5 weeks, but they arrived and I was very pleased. Shipping was cheap for such a heavy package ($10), and each set arrived lubed, packed in XPS trays, and vaccum sealed.

Here's a picture of the .38 "Snakebite" round. 158 grains. As always, please excuse my lack of photography skills.

Here's a picture of the .44 bullet. The heaviest weight available was 200 grains. I would have preferred 246-grains to duplicate the original .44 Russian round, but this will do.

And here is the .45 bullets. They are 250-grain. :D

Here's the set up. Brass and aluminum to make sure I don't have any static discharges. A bit tedious, pouring each charge from the brass tray into the brass measuring tool, over the aluminum dish to catch any spills. Then into the case. I put in 23 grains based off a recipe from a John Taffin article, and the bullet compressed the load moderately.

A close-up of the components and finished product.

Well, semi-finished. I did put a crimp on the rounds. I loaded 50 with 23 grains, and 50 with 20 grains from another recipe I found on the web.

Looking forward to making some smoke soon.

Oh - my bonafides... :wink:

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kinda OT - Reloading Black Powder cartridges

Post by kimwcook »

Bonafides, too funny, Jay. I've loaded black in 45 Colt many a year ago and shot them out of an Uberti SAA clone and one of my Colt SAA's. I won't do it again. The clean up took way to long compared to white.

That said I've loaded black black for my Shiloh 45-70 and am working on that load.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've switched to SPG as my lube as the RCBS stuff isn't suitable for BP. Got to load for the .45-75 WCF don't ya know... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kimwcook wrote:Bonafides, too funny, Jay. I've loaded black in 45 Colt many a year ago and shot them out of an Uberti SAA clone and one of my Colt SAA's. I won't do it again. The clean up took way to long compared to white.

That said I've loaded black black for my Shiloh 45-70 and am working on that load.
kimwcook,

Last year in IN I shot a bunch of black powder from both my OM Ruger BH and my Uberti Cattleman. I had them cleaned before I left the range. All I did was hose them with Windex with ammonia and swab them out inside and out. Wipe them with a dry rag and patches then oil them. That was it.
I used to take them home, strip them down to the last screw and boil them in hot soapy water. What a PITA! I don't bother with that any more. As long as I can buy Windex I'm good to go.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Professor, I probably clean my pieces to well. I just can't stand the thought of powder residue soaking up some moisture and start rusting. Drives me nuts. So, I just don't shoot it in my handguns. Would I if I had to, you bet, but I don't have to. Now, shooting it in the Sharps is very easily cleaned up and taken care of. No worries there mate.
Old Law Dawg
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Jay,
Did you get those Big Lubes from Mark Whyte? Reason I ask is that I found the green lube he uses a bit too hard. When firing 38-40's from my 1873 I found bits of lube stuck to the target at 50 yds. If you get disappointing accuracy this might be an area to look at. When I bought my own Big Lube moulds I used a beeswax/Crisco/canola oil/lanolin lube and accuracy improved noticably.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very cool! Looking forward to the range report.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

perry owens wrote:Jay,
Did you get those Big Lubes from Mark Whyte? Reason I ask is that I found the green lube he uses a bit too hard. When firing 38-40's from my 1873 I found bits of lube stuck to the target at 50 yds. If you get disappointing accuracy this might be an area to look at. When I bought my own Big Lube moulds I used a beeswax/Crisco/canola oil/lanolin lube and accuracy improved noticably.
Perry Owens
Hi Perry -

Yep, these are from Mark. I will let you know how they work. I want to wait to shoot them until I can go out with Y2K, so it may be a little bit before I can shoot them. The lube seemed softer than the lube I usually see on cast bullets intended for use with smokeless powders, but since I haven't loaded black powder cartridges before, it just may be my lack of experience!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well I just learned something. I didn't realize that there was a special black powder for cartridges. I thought that there was just Fg, FFg, and FFFg. So if I want to load my 45-70 with black powder I need this stuff?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

BenT wrote:Well I just learned something. I didn't realize that there was a special black powder for cartridges. I thought that there was just Fg, FFg, and FFFg. So if I want to load my 45-70 with black powder I need this stuff?
No any of the f's work fine.
Cartridge is a name for powder that Goex came up with on the way to making the "Express" labeled powders.Cartridge is a little more refined and graphite coated than the regular grades. It keeps a softer fouling with good lubes, and is generally known for giving good accuracy . It will chronograph a little slower than the Express series, but along the same speeds as the regular grades.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Don ,Thanks for the explaination.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've been loading the black powder for around 55 years now. You need bullets lubed with specific black powder lube (read SPG). You can make your own from toilet bowl rings with a little olive oil added but it appears you don't cast your own. The powder needs to be placed in the case with a drop tube. You can't believe what a difference this makes as to accuracy and clean-up. Clean the gun's with Ballistol mixed with ten parts of water. After drying, lube with Ballistol. After a couple of times the metal becomes seasoned with the Ballistol and clean-up is much easier. I shoot frontier cartridge in SASS and have used these methods for years. You must have a bullet whose lube groove holds enough lube to reach to the end of the barrel. Longer barrels require more lube, I have used grease cookies but they slow down the loading and sometimes affect accuracy. I swab my rifle barrel between stages with 10:1 Ballistol and just a couple more patches after 60 rounds will have the barrel ready to wipe down with straight Ballistol and it's ready to store until next time. This is with a 44-40 and real GOEX ffg. Your straight sided cases bill allow some blow-by and require more clean-up.

If you need any more info, let me know.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks M.M.! :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hobie wrote:I've switched to SPG as my lube as the RCBS stuff isn't suitable for BP. Got to load for the .45-75 WCF don't ya know... :wink:
Hobie in that 76 you may get along better with Sagebrush Alox. SPG gets to fouling out to quick for most levergun stuff.
I've been testing some Bullshops Nasa lube, and to this point it's leaving even the Sagebrush brush behind in the great lube search... Went 21 rounds the other day at 35% humidity with no loss in accuracy in a 45-70 :shock: