Loctite BlackMax to hold front sight???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Loctite BlackMax to hold front sight???

Post by J Miller »

My next project is to replace the crooked front sight on my Win 94AE Trapper .45. Tim Skinner made me a beautiful duplicate for the factory one and I've got to either solder it on, or glue it on.

In several threads people have mentioned Loctite Black Max. It's supposed to be a super duper glue for things like this. Has any body used it to put sights on, and if they have, how well has it held?

If the Black Max will work for a permanent installation I won't have to use heat and so I'll be able to save most of the bluing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Loctite BlackMax to hold front sight???

Post by Pisgah »

I used Black Max to put a ramp front sight on a cut-down Mossberg 500 five years ago. It has held up beautifully. Ditto for the ramp I put on a Marlin 336 I was rehabbing three years ago. The original screw holes had been stripped out, and before I tried to re-tap to a larger screw my eyes fell on the Black Max and I thought, "Why not?" A tiny drop in each screwhole, a little bit on the bottom of the ramp, and I am certain it will take a torch to ever get it off.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Black Max is a permanent adhesive. My wife works for a laser manufacturer and they use it for optic mounts.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've used it on two different rifles for attaching ramps and neither has come loose yet. One's almost 5 years old now. Just clean the metal good before hand and remember you don't have much time for alignment or clean up of excesss. That stuff sets up pretty fast.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Two questions;

A: Is it really black?

B: For a front sight, say 1/2" square how much would you use?

I only ask this because I've not found any instruction for this stuff. Even tried the Loctite site and that site is almost impossible to navigate.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

LOCTITE® 426 PRISM Black Max Gel Instant Adhesive is part of their industrial adhesives and not a consumer product so you'll need to look a bit harder for it than just Home Depot.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Joe :lol: will this front sight :lol: be prone to getting :lol: knocked off easier than :lol: say a scope sight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nath :lol:

:wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath wrote:Joe :lol: will this front sight :lol: be prone to getting :lol: knocked off easier than :lol: say a scope sight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nath :lol:

:wink:
Knocked off? I doubt it, this one's been there over 20 years now. The very first one was broken off though. The factory sights are cast from some form of steel.

Don't know about knocking off scopes never used one.

Joe
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Do any modern gun makers in this day and age of cheap manufacture use glue on front sights?

I don't know but it don't sit well with me!

Best wishes all the same Joe :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Do any modern gun makers in this day and age of cheap manufacture use glue on front sights?

I don't know but it don't sit well with me!

Best wishes all the same Joe :D

Nath.

DOUBLE HIT SOME HOW, SORRY!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,

If you catch your double post before someone posts after you, you can delete it. Look for a little "X" at the bottom right side of the post.

As for glue on the sights I don't know. I was just thinking if the Black Max would do the job it would be cleaner and easier than soldering the sight on. And it wouldn't ruin the bluing.
I haven't made my mind up yet.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

COSteve wrote:LOCTITE® 426 PRISM Black Max Gel Instant Adhesive is part of their industrial adhesives and not a consumer product so you'll need to look a bit harder for it than just Home Depot.
Steve,
Thanks, that explains my not finding it on the web. I guess I'll check with Midway or Brownell's if I don't find it locally.

Joe
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here you go Joe. The 380 is also Black Max.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOCTIT ... Pid=search
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jdad,

Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it. I wonder what the difference is between the 380 and the 426?

Joe
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Nath wrote:Do any modern gun makers in this day and age of cheap manufacture use glue on front sights?....
Charter Arms used to glue the front sight on some of their revolvers.
It worked well, mostly. I had two or three of their revolvers and never had a problem with the sights falling off, but I did hear of one that did.
I have worked with some adhesives that bond better than you could imagine so I don't dismiss the idea out of hand.

Jack
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

J Miller wrote:Jdad,

Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it. I wonder what the difference is between the 380 and the 426?

Joe
If I remember correctly the 380 is the original liquid compound and the 426 is a gel version. Both are anerobic, so as soon as the 2 parts come together you have about a minute of play time.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've used Black Max to keep the loose ejector housing screw in place on my Colt SAA. The screw/Black Max eventually came loose and it appears that I did not clean the inside of the hole well enough. I cleaned it real well the second time, including an acetone scrub and, so far, it is holding.

As far as what color it is, it is clear at first. As it hardens, it turns black.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote:Jdad,

Joe
You might also look at auto parts stores, that's where I got mine.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've checked ACE hardware so far and didn't see it. But then I wasn't sure what I was looking for.
I'll be hitting more places in the next day or so.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
We have been through this before.
Loctite is a formulated hydro-carbon that cures in the ABSENSE of air.
You must isure that the GAP you are trying to cure is appropiate for the application.
If you can get it " light tight " before gluing, it should work just fine.
When you find the black max, let me know, I need to do a rib on High Standard Flite King, 20 guage.
I would use it without hesitation, and you know my backround.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero2 wrote:Joe,
We have been through this before.
Loctite is a formulated hydro-carbon that cures in the ABSENSE of air.
You must isure that the GAP you are trying to cure is appropiate for the application.
If you can get it " light tight " before gluing, it should work just fine.
When you find the black max, let me know, I need to do a rib on High Standard Flite King, 20 guage.
I would use it without hesitation, and you know my backround.
mescalero,
Here is a pic of the front sight Tim Skinner made for me. As you can see it is rounded to match the barrel.
Skinner front sight_94AETrapper.JPG
When placed on the barrel, it is close to a perfect match, if not perfect.
I suppose I could solder it, but if the Loctite will work, I'd rather not destroy the bluing.

So which would you suggest, the 380 or the 426?

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jhrosier wrote:
Nath wrote:Do any modern gun makers in this day and age of cheap manufacture use glue on front sights?....
Charter Arms used to glue the front sight on some of their revolvers.
It worked well, mostly. I had two or three of their revolvers and never had a problem with the sights falling off, but I did hear of one that did.
I have worked with some adhesives that bond better than you could imagine so I don't dismiss the idea out of hand.

Jack

You guy's are fantastic, you humble me with your experience. Thanks for the education :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The Black Max
Be sure you are properly position.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

If the fit is perfect, no gap, "rear view mirror adhesive" will probably work as well. The stuff is also anerobic, and RIGHT NOW sticky, but ya have to hold pressure on it for a little while. I'd say anything that will hold half-pound mirror on a WS is strong enough.

Then again, ya can always use the redneck welding kit (JB-Weld). I just used JB to install a sight blade in a slotted hand made base last night. It ain't goin nowhere.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack wrote:If the fit is perfect, no gap, "rear view mirror adhesive" will probably work as well. The stuff is also anerobic, and RIGHT NOW sticky, but ya have to hold pressure on it for a little while. I'd say anything that will hold half-pound mirror on a WS is strong enough.

Then again, ya can always use the redneck welding kit (JB-Weld). I just used JB to install a sight blade in a slotted hand made base last night. It ain't goin nowhere.
Jack,

A thousand summers ago when I was around 22 or so I shortened a barrel on a .22 rifle. Then I tried to figure out how to put the front sight back on. Well, I ended up epoxying it on. It was still there and shooting straight when I sold it to my neighbor. Since then I haven't epoxied anything onto a gun barrel.

"IF" I can find any of that fancy LOCTite Black Max stuff I'll buy it and maybe I'll use it on this project. But I'm still leaning, or tilting like the Tower of Pizza, towards silver soldering it on.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If you are going to do the silver solder thing,
well, do you know how to get to Carnige Hall?
Practice baby, practice.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

J Miller wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:If the fit is perfect, no gap, "rear view mirror adhesive" will probably work as well. The stuff is also anerobic, and RIGHT NOW sticky, but ya have to hold pressure on it for a little while. I'd say anything that will hold half-pound mirror on a WS is strong enough.

Jack,

A thousand summers ago when I was around 22 or so I shortened a barrel on a .22 rifle. Then I tried to figure out how to put the front sight back on. Well, I ended up epoxying it on. It was still there and shooting straight when I sold it to my neighbor. Since then I haven't epoxied anything onto a gun barrel.

"IF" I can find any of that fancy LOCTite Black Max stuff I'll buy it and maybe I'll use it on this project. But I'm still leaning, or tilting like the Tower of Pizza, towards silver soldering it on.

Joe
I was leaning toward silver soldering the blade on mine too. I have th stuff to do it. But I remembered silver soldering exhaust parts for RC airplanes, and I remember how silver liked to build up a big filet sometimes, then how it sometimes runs, and how that ends up looking like heck. I decided I didn't wanna learn to be a jeweler, I wanted to install a sight.
Certified gun nut
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
Here is the scoop on loctite Black Max 380:
Elastomer modified instant adhesive
gap fill= .006
tensile shear strength= 3,750
temperature range-65 degrees F to 225 degrees F
cure speed, fixture; 90 seconds; full 24 hours
I think it will do what you want it to.
mescalero
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here is the scoop on loctite Black Max 380:
Elastomer modified instant adhesive
gap fill= .006
tensile shear strength= 3,750
temperature range-65 degrees F to 225 degrees F
cure speed, fixture; 90 seconds; full 24 hours
I think it will do what you want it to.
mescalero
mescalero,
Thanks for the information. I've got to find some, hopefully locally, before I get started removing the original sight.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My search for Loctite 380 or 426 Black Max locally has been unsuccessful.

I've found the 380 version at Brownells, Midway and Grainger.
No luck on the 426 version yet.

Anybody got any other sources?

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
What is unacceptable about the 380?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What is unacceptable about the 380?
Not a thing. I was just hoping to find some cos I like the gel a bit better.

Joe
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Joe, I got my Black Max at the local auto supply store. They had to order it, but it came within a few days.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

Been to the top two auto parts stores in this area and ACE Hardware. They all stock Permatex products and none showed the least interest in ordering anything.

Besides, I can order it myself just as easy.

Joe
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

J Miller wrote: Besides, I can order it myself just as easy.

Joe
Then do so and get on with it!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

airedaleman wrote:

Joe
airedaleman ..... K M A

You don't like my thread, don't post on it.

Joe
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

J Miller wrote:
airedaleman wrote:

Joe
airedaleman ..... K M A

You don't like my thread, don't post on it.

Joe

I'm sorry. I was overcome with angst!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I was checking into this and stumbled across this thread on another forum:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=401584

regarding 380 vs. 620 retaining compound.

Any opinions here?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hmmm, well that was interesting, but I don't really know any more about it so I'm not going to offer an opinion.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If the thing gets heated above 320 temperature, you are going to have parent metal problems,
Joe, you know me; trust me : go with the 320!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Mescalero wrote:If the thing gets heated above 320 temperature, you are going to have parent metal problems,
Did you mean the Black Max 380? :?:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe is trying to put a front sight on a rifle,
barrel steel and high heat,do not co-exist harmoniously.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Mescalero wrote:If the thing gets heated above 320 temperature, you are going to have parent metal problems,
Why is this a problem with the 380, you don't have to heat it to cure it. Also, I don't know of a silver solder that melts at less than 400* and they've been using much higher temps to solder on guns for years with no problems. Bluing salts are heated to over 300* on some alloys. I'd really like to know more about this heat issue.

Rob

Because I can!

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Soldering is a heating process, the trouble with the un-initiated doing this is the belief that if a little bit is good, more is better.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Right now I have silver solder that melts at 400º ± and some that melts at 1100º ± . I've used silver solder before so I can do that. What I was researching when I asked about the Loctite Black Max was if it was feasible to use it instead of the silver solder so I didn't ruin the bluing on the barrel.

Considering I haven't yet found any of the Black Max locally and I'm in no mood to order it and pay twice the price with shipping I may yet use the 400º silver solder. That was Dr. Skinners suggestion any way.

Joe