Levergun on safari

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
schauckis
Levergunner

Levergun on safari

Post by schauckis »

Hello fellows,
Time to chime in after a long break.
I've told you before about my customized m/ 1895 Winchester - well, it finally saw action in Namibia.
I'm too lazy to re-write the post, so please, follow this link to AR's forum:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 5321020341

- Lars/Finland
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Levergun on safari

Post by gamekeeper »

Great report. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Great job and fantastic trip report! :D :mrgreen:

I really like your 1895, can you give us the specifics on it?

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
schauckis
Levergunner

Post by schauckis »

Thanks, Tom!

I've posted the details of my gun before: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21944

In brief, it's one of the guns originally supplied to the Russian czar before the revolution, i.e. year of manufacture is 1917.
The original chambering is 7,62x53R which has been modified to 8,2x53R i.e. it shoots .323" bullets.

Laterly, since the gun was already "molested" and thus had little collector value and since I wanted to have a usable lever action, I had it modified:
- sights altered to Recknagel adjustable items
- quick sling mounts (also Recknagel) fitted
- picatinny rail for the red dot sight/scope fitted
- new stock: longer than the original with a decent recoil pad and less drop. I chose laminate as I like the looks, the weight of it tames the recoil quite a bit and additionally it's very weather-tolerant.
- the barrel was cut by about 2", almost 3"
- take-down feature
In summary, pretty much only the action remains original...! :lol:
The work was conducted and much of the practical ideas about how to materialize my thoughts were by JP Gunsmith http://www.jp-gunsmith.fi/

As the chambering is a semi-wildcat only loaded by Sako with the 200grs Hammerhead bullet, I ended up testing some bullets to find a good choice for general hunting.
The Nosler AB is a well-working and simply astonishingly accurate bullet. I have yet to take game with the Rhino bullets that I also obtained, but I hope to shoot moose this season using them.

- Lars/Finland
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations! Looks like a heck of a good time. 8)
NRA Life Member
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Interesting.

When venturing into nearly full-custom weapons, another reason to "really really really" test your weapon. I didn't think you'd have a hot/cold problem.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting story, thanks. Like to see more on your rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

MrMurphy wrote:Interesting.

When venturing into nearly full-custom weapons, another reason to "really really really" test your weapon. I didn't think you'd have a hot/cold problem.
I'd like to know why that system used for the takedown should have heat differential problems. Looks like you just screw the gun together. Also, whether or not Winchester ever heard of such problems in hot weather because I've never read such comments on the Winchester system.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Wow..Custom Levergun Safari.. Very cool!!! .. Great report/story.. Sorry to hear the take down feature gave warm weather accuracy problems :o .........Darn the luck... 8) You'll just have to take the fun and build another LeverGun for African heat :D
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY