OT - No Flame implied or meant

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

OT - No Flame implied or meant

Post by Barcelona Rick »

After looking at the threads about Terry and OS's question. I thought it might be best to "keep from kicking the cow pattty" but decided I might as a guest of this forum express my views. First, this is a great place to learn and visit with many fine people. Secondly, I have asked my share of stupid questions that were in the most part answered in an informative polite manner. Thirdly, I regretably participating in running Joel off because of our differening views about the border.....it is a very heated issue in my home state and I have family property that is directly impacted.....however, I spent four years serving our Country and protecting our liberty and that does include views different from my own. I am increasingly concerned about the attitudes on all of the firearms related forums I visit.....we seem to be awfully tough on rookies and that really doesn't help our cause. Remember we were all rookies at one time or another. I watched Marlin Talk fall apart because some pushed the envelope too far. Spirited debate is always healthy but the "my way or the highway" needs to calm down. Now before someone tells me to sing "cumbya" (probably misspelled)....let it be known that I am not some nut with thin skin....I am a Christian that has many faults and failures that enjoys firearms and the discussion there of....respect of our elders is always appropirate.....our "betters" might need to earn that respect by sharing their insight with alittle understanding.....okay....kicked that "cow patty"....hope it doesn't smell too bad....

rick
Last edited by Barcelona Rick on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: OT - No Flame implied or meant

Post by piller »

I have had things I didn't see eye to eye with others about. Big Deal. If we all had to see things the same way it would get boring in a hurry. I don't own this site nor am I a moderator, so whatever Paco says, or Hobie or AmBraCol, then that is it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

This forum is worlds ahead of most. On a lot of the forums you're expected to kiss the forum owner's backside to stay part of the in crowd. God forbid you disagree, then the wannabes start flaming you.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

This is a pretty decent forum and the moderators do a very good job at being fair. The decision to seperate the political posts from gun related posts was a super idea. For the most part it is the politcal posts that turn nasty. So, if a fellow doesn't want to get his hide pealed then just don't go there. I don't go there much any more, as my mere presence seems to light some folks fuse.

I have had folks try their best to run me off over differences in regards to border issues, but it didn't work. I received an invitation from Paco to join this forum the first day it opened and I don't intent to leave.

I find Terry's short fuse to be regretable. I also find others response to Terry to be regreatable. However, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. Terry no doubt has some anger management problems and I am certain he is very aware of them. However, that is just one small part of the man and the rest of him is very admirable. In all truth, we all have some less than attrative parts of our personalities. It would be my wish that we would all cut each other some slack, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.

Anyway, for a forum made up of human beings, this is a fairly good one. It is the human thing that causes problems. I wonder how robots will do at this stuff, when they take over?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Charles wrote:This is a pretty decent forum and the moderators do a very good job at being fair. The decision to seperate the political posts from gun related posts was a super idea. For the most part it is the politcal posts that turn nasty. So, if a fellow doesn't want to get his hide pealed then just don't go there. I don't go there much any more, as my mere presence seems to light some folks fuse.

I have had folks try their best to run me off over differences in regards to border issues, but it didn't work. I received an invitation from Paco to join this forum the first day it opened and I don't intent to leave.

I find Terry's short fuse to be regretable. I also find others response to Terry to be regreatable. However, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. Terry no doubt has some anger management problems and I am certain he is very aware of them. However, that is just one small part of the man and the rest of him is very admirable. In all truth, we all have some less than attrative parts of our personalities. It would be my wish that we would all cut each other some slack, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.

Anyway, for a forum made up of human beings, this is a fairly good one. It is the human thing that causes problems. I wonder how robots will do at this stuff, when they take over?
"WE ARE THE BORG. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

J :P e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Charles wrote:This is a pretty decent forum and the moderators do a very good job at being fair. The decision to seperate the political posts from gun related posts was a super idea. For the most part it is the politcal posts that turn nasty. So, if a fellow doesn't want to get his hide pealed then just don't go there. I don't go there much any more, as my mere presence seems to light some folks fuse.

As a short-fuzed one, I credit this august panel for helping me spread a little oil on my troubled waters :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All of us should keep in mind that this forum, and others, just like the local 'gun shop', are often the initial exposure to the 'gun community' that many newbies have. That first impression may be the only impression they get, if they find us to be unfriendly to outsiders and newbies.

As such, even though we have our inside jokes, special lingo, and cameraderie, when someone new 'comes up to the campfire', we should go out of our way to make them feel welcome, regardless of their age, experience, gender, religion, politics, or whatever. Doing so may 'educate' them that we are actually a nice bunch, and we may recruit another into a fine hobby. . . .and by extention, into an understanding of freedom and politics, and even religion, which may enlighten them and help us have a more stable society. Insulting them, putting them off, or otherwise driving them away only hurts us all.

Now I don't think that means that we have to serve them Pablum and hand them a Binky; if they are grown up enough to be on a computer, they should be grown up enough to understand that there are 'curmudgeons' in the world, and many of them are sources of helpful information, good advice, and friendship, even if their gruff demeanor may make the more timid newbies jump a bit. I can be a crusty and cranky geezer at times, but I just make it a point to be less 'opinionated' when I'm around someone who may be a bit wet behind the ears yet (same reason I don't swear around nuns, little old ladies, or kids, even though I do have a very 'strong' vocabulary I can unleash around those less likely to take offense)

...besides, that way, I accumulate an extra supply of crankiness I can unleash on my more 'experienced' friends and aquantances... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Some forums can be down right vicious. This one is far better than them, but we all say things we shouldn't. It's just words, don't get too stressed. I'm glad I found this place--1 of 2 places I hang out most of the time when I'm on the net.

Just about got into it with some target shooters the other day about the accuracy of leverguns, but decided I'd just bite my tongue, and go to more civil place.

rimrcok
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think at times... (scary ain't it?), we should all step back from the omnipresent confuser and re-read what was said, not just once... but 20 times... as our response percolates inside our noggin. Then, before we hit that "SUBMIT" button, we read our response 20 times.

I had this brought home in a PM just recently. I was asked a question... but during my first 3 or 4 times reading it, I somehow read it as a statement... one that I read as critical and rather disdainful. I started to react in a rather poor manner... I admit to some confusion as I didn't understand what could have possibly initiated such a message. In fact, I closed out the window... and went about some other business and came back to the message after I'd had a chance to chill and re-read the PM again. Don't ask me how... but this time the question was clear, concise and needful of reasoned response. Believe me when I say it wasn't what the sender sent... it was strictly how I read the message.

As the old saw goes... "I'm not sure you heard what I said, but apparently you understood what I didn't." As we've noted many times... inflection and tone are conspicously absent from a written communication... and therefore, easily half of what we use for communication is also.

Yes, it will slow down the rapid exchange of ideas... but when they're full of venom and vinegar, that might be a good thing.

Plus, I might have time to find a few more of my faux pahs! :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:Plus, I might have time to find a few more of my faux pahs! :P :P :lol:
I hate those fake pahs that are swamping the market! I can remember when I was a kid all pahs were Made in the U.S.A. and 100% legit!! :wink:

:mrgreen:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[color=#0040FF][b]rimrock[/b][/color] wrote:Some forums can be down right vicious. This one is far better than them, but we all say things we shouldn't. rimrcok
[/humorous interlude mode ON]

Geez, you illiterate and moronic psycho-commie, you can't even spell your own NAME right. Dyslexics should all be banned from the forum!

[/humerous interlude mode OFF]

Anyway, like I was saying, we're really a nice and civil bunch here, compared to the other forums on the net. :lol:

The absence of body language, inflection, or facial expression does make for easy misunderstandings and misassumptions, especially when many of us might wind up here as an 'escape' after a busy or stressful day, and haven't fully let go of whatever 'attitude' we've accumulated up to that point.

We do pretty well, overall, though, and when we step out of line, Hobie usually uses his .50-BMG-like subtleness and tact to get us back on the path of righteousness. :wink:

If that doesn't work, BlaineG will start using puns the same way cops use 'stop-sticks' to slow down speeding vehicles, and we get laughing so hard we can't type the insults and condescending responses we were thinking of.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You all have let me prattle on about darn-near every topic under the sun, including occasionally leverguns, for over 14,000 posts - and that's just on this, the "new" forum. I'd say off-hand it makes everyone here the most tolerant bunch of people this side of heaven! :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Didn't know about Joel, but...

Nobody gets "run off" unless Hobie or Paul hits the "SMITE" button. If someone gets their feelings hurt and leaves in a huff, it's on them and them alone.

People seem to be WAAAY too sensitive these days, and unless somebody is being personally attacked (and not just being called a name, but really called out...) then folks should remember that in real life people tend to disagree about stuff and the only way to avoid it is to become a hermit.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Ironsights wrote:Didn't know about Joel, but...

Nobody gets "run off" unless Hobie or Paul hits the "SMITE" button. If someone gets their feelings hurt and leaves in a huff, it's on them and them alone.

People seem to be WAAAY too sensitive these days, and unless somebody is being personally attacked (and not just being called a name, but really called out...) then folks should remember that in real life people tend to disagree about stuff and the only way to avoid it is to become a hermit.
How many wheels are on a "Huff"? :wink:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:Didn't know about Joel, but...

I think I've actually "banned" 3 genuine forum contributors, 1 accidentally permanently. This means if you left, and many have, it was by far more likely of your own volition. This is NOT my forum, I'm merely the "hired" help so I do what I was asked to do as best I can no more and no less.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I didn't read all the replies, but some. For me, I enjoy most of the folks on this board, and find it informative and entertaining. That said, Like some other forums (fora, fori, whatever), this one is decidedly a "church" or "house of a certain tone", which once identified, HELPS me conform my comments to something hopefully within the boundaries demanded here. That is not either good or bad, but like my neighbor's house, his rules, his house. I can either deal with em or leave.

For me that works out pretty good most days, because if I am tempted to peel somebody a new one, my tone probably needs tempering for THIS HOUSE, and in the process, the "peeling" gets a little more refined and less rough. Meanwhile, there is much to learn, and that which I don't care to read I simply gloss over.

Not trying to be enigmatic, bluntly stated I am what is euphemistically called a "Christian in recovery", and the religious slant, while valuable in terms of setting a tone of boundaries, is something I can do without, so I simply skip it, allowing that it has value for others, I truely DO respect the dedication of folks who give their lives in service of others as Jim has done, and I am not forced to partake of the scripture in order to enjoy the wealth of knowedge and fellowship found here.

That is all I got to say about that. ;)
Certified gun nut
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

JB wrote:This forum is worlds ahead of most...
...and I am thankful that the folks here have the good sense and intelligence to agree with what I say, at least most of the time. I hereby forgive you if you don't get it. But just don't make a habit of it.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We all step in "#2" and get "foot-in-mouth" disease every once in a while. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"Not trying to be enigmatic, bluntly stated I am what is euphemistically"

Oh GREAT, TWO more words to look up !!!

I'm goin to complain to Hobie !!

Hobie....

Hobie....

Anybody seen Hobie?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Time for a group hug?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bullard4075 wrote:"Not trying to be enigmatic, bluntly stated I am what is euphemistically"

Hobie....

Hobie....

Anybody seen Hobie?
enigmatic: some kind of omelette....

A Euph is like a small tuba.....

You're welcome :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

BlaineG wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:"Not trying to be enigmatic, bluntly stated I am what is euphemistically"

Hobie....

Hobie....

Anybody seen Hobie?
enigmatic: some kind of omelette....

A Euph is like a small tuba.....

You're welcome :P
Enigma: A mystery wrapped in a conundrum.

Euphemistically: Sayin without sayin. Know what I'm sayin ? ;)
Certified gun nut