OT - I may be losing my job next week.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

OT - I may be losing my job next week.

Post by shooter »

Found out today I may be getting fired next week. Don't really know the reason, or if they even have one. Anyone know of any jobs here in the D/FW area? I've been with this company for close to 10 yrs., and all I've ever done is customer service, sales, account management, and operations management. All this has been with the same company. I do have a class B CDL.

I've been thinking about getting my FFL, and dealing a little just for fun and to make some extra money on the side. May still try that. I've also been thinking about starting up my own business, but I need money to do that. Don't exactly know how I would pull off starting a business with no money coming in except unemployment.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - I may be losing my job next week.

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Sorry to hear that shooter...it is pretty tough out here. I've been pretty much work'n off the cuff for short gigs as a sales training advisor since my rep firm bit the dust back in February. I've gotten better at not teaching all the tricks of the trade in one gig and negotiating higher fees, but the gigs only last 10 business days at a crack and regionally I am running out of potential clients around here. But, noticing your back ground, I would check out a company called TTI in Ft. Worth or it's sister company called Mouser, rumor has it they have some requisitions out for customer service, account management and product managers.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

shooter wrote:Found out today I may be getting fired next week. Don't really know the reason, or if they even have one. Anyone know of any jobs here in the D/FW area? I've been with this company for close to 10 yrs., and all I've ever done is customer service, sales, account management, and operations management. All this has been with the same company. I do have a class B CDL.

I've been thinking about getting my FFL, and dealing a little just for fun and to make some extra money on the side. May still try that. I've also been thinking about starting up my own business, but I need money to do that. Don't exactly know how I would pull off starting a business with no money coming in except unemployment.

Very sorry to hear that Shooter!
Might want to spend $100 or so and consult an employment lawyer.
I would require the employer to provide written notice since you have not had prior issues or put on any type of a poor performance notice.
Probably they will say they are down sizing and then you probably will be able to get unemployment.
If you are fired/or they put it that you resigned prior to termination(trick where you signed certain form/paperwork before actually walking out their door?) proabably wont get unemployment?
verify with your State Unemployment agency and be careful of accepting employer saying don't worry we will see you get it,just sign this ??? Its tough because your judgement might be clouded during this rough time.
Also before signing ANY severance package insure you are not giving up any future pension benefits/vested rights for later on for a small lump sum of cash now.(20mins in a GOOD employment lawyers office reviewing everything is money very well spent.
The day they fire you(myself,wouldn't sign nothing that day)until its reviewed?
I am no lawyer and it's just my thoughts so do what you wish and God Bless ya!
It's tough out there, :wink:
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Check your pm's
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

good luck, but be smart, some good advice there
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Look at demographics. The boomers are going to have to spend their money somewhere. The largest target market is getting old man, maybe learn to be a funeral director or the cremation biz. Or something.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Shooter, I'll keep you in my prayers that you only heard a rumor and you'll be fine next week at work. Victor
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Sorry to hear about your job. I was in "Willie's Place" at Carl's Corner, Texas a few days ago and our waitress was an accountant out of work. She had moved here from Kansas. I'm retired and don't know much about the job market but I hear the gas-line people are still hiring a few people in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Good luck!
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up. Sorry to hear this...
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

A year and a half ago, Cessna was at about 13000 employees. Then the layoffs hit, and they reduced numbers to about 6000. I was one of the many that ended up on the street...but I made sure I didn't burn any bridges when I left. Opted to work the last 6 weeks when I could have just skated with pay, and made real sure that if the hiring came back I would be thought of first. I also kept up a good attitude...My manager two levels up offered that he appreciated my positive attitude and that he'd never seen anyone with an attitude that good in the face of what he considered devastating news. Now do you think he would consider hiring me back...you bet..and he told me that he would fight tooth and nail to get me when the hiring came back.

The last couple of days there were hard. I really loved what I was doing there, and the people I supported loved what I had done for them. I broke down when the mechanics and managers started hugging me going out the door, and for a few weeks my life seemed really empty.

But. I kept telling myself that I wasn't supposed to be there and that there was something else I was supposed to do. And I believed it. But I'll tell you...after about 8 months I was starting to question whether or not it was going to work out...but I forced those thoughts out of my head and made myself believe in something better. I even told my boss at C when he handed me my papers, that I was being laid off because I was obviously supposed to be somewhere else, and not to worry about me because I knew it WOULD work out for the best.

Then in December I landed a job with better pay, better benefits, and bonuses to boot....so positive thinking does have an effect on your future. Hang in there...keep up your morale and KNOW that something better is around the corner and it WILL happen. And please don't let your time left be bitter, it only hurts you in the long run, and leaves a bad impression for those who employed you. Accept it with grace and move on in your life.

Best of luck my friend, God has a plan for you and it's just not where you are now.
Ed
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Shooter, try getting into a management program at a Walgreens or a CVS drug store. Tough work to start with, but if you stick with it, the bonuses become great. As a Pharmacist, I make more per hour than my store Manager, but his bonus each year more than makes up for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Kansas Ed wrote:A year and a half ago, Cessna was at about 13000 employees. Then the layoffs hit, and they reduced numbers to about 6000. I was one of the many that ended up on the street...but I made sure I didn't burn any bridges when I left. Opted to work the last 6 weeks when I could have just skated with pay, and made real sure that if the hiring came back I would be thought of first. I also kept up a good attitude...My manager two levels up offered that he appreciated my positive attitude and that he'd never seen anyone with an attitude that good in the face of what he considered devastating news. Now do you think he would consider hiring me back...you bet..and he told me that he would fight tooth and nail to get me when the hiring came back.

The last couple of days there were hard. I really loved what I was doing there, and the people I supported loved what I had done for them. I broke down when the mechanics and managers started hugging me going out the door, and for a few weeks my life seemed really empty.

But. I kept telling myself that I wasn't supposed to be there and that there was something else I was supposed to do. And I believed it. But I'll tell you...after about 8 months I was starting to question whether or not it was going to work out...but I forced those thoughts out of my head and made myself believe in something better. I even told my boss at C when he handed me my papers, that I was being laid off because I was obviously supposed to be somewhere else, and not to worry about me because I knew it WOULD work out for the best.

Then in December I landed a job with better pay, better benefits, and bonuses to boot....so positive thinking does have an effect on your future. Hang in there...keep up your morale and KNOW that something better is around the corner and it WILL happen. And please don't let your time left be bitter, it only hurts you in the long run, and leaves a bad impression for those who employed you. Accept it with grace and move on in your life.

Best of luck my friend, God has a plan for you and it's just not where you are now.
Ed

Ed,
JMO
I am curious as to how many years you were employed at C. ?
I have to be honest Ed,from what I see many Big Corps. have the habit of getting rid of their employess as they grow closer to retirement(but not quite making it,then dumping them)or even after they put in lets say a decade of deicated work and then getting rid of a employee that is extremely positive/hard working and highly skilled just to put a manager/or buddy from another dept which their job is going away and dont know beans about that position and even have the gall to ask that poor employee being axed to train that idiot taking his job.Though maybe the axed employee should try their best to compose themselves and hang in there and get by.Truely what you describe is way far out there to do for most in a case as such?

Where I worked I was lucky and made it to retirement(the 30 years and out deal)Had almost 32!
But if its an employee that busts his butt and they are just cutting people when the position is "really" still there and in reality are actually just being replaced by a croaniy or they plan to put someone else back in that position in a few months with some new college kid with lower pay/no benefits while giving the other poor fella the back door yanking his pension after many years of dedication.
To smile and say"thats ok,anything I can do to help before you toss me out on my rear.
You have to be kidding?
Shooter after a decade should be mad, I wouldnt be too positive to them about being tossed.As I wouldnt be too far the other direction also.
"If" that Corp.is still requiring that work he does and their dumping him for reasons like some of which are stated above.I wouldnt be overly positive/wouldnt sign anything before legal consultation(and surely not from that Corps. legal team)Would be Mad/ but not Violent!
Course---- I am not a thats ok, turn the other cheek kind of guy either!
Anyhow To Shooter: ----see what they say/keep your rear in line until they actually tell you,you are gone and probably wont be called back but in the future feel free to apply with a resume ??? then friend you seek whatever avenue best suits you future.
In the end you only have you/yourself to make the change and I hope you make out great! (pm is on the way)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, if its age discrimination, you can nail them - and should IMHO.

Otherwise, I believe Texas is a "right to work" state -which means that they don't have to have a reason to let you go... I l know that Louisiana is - which is where my company is located.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Yep, if its age discrimination, you can nail them - and should IMHO.

Otherwise, I believe Texas is a "right to work" state -which means that they don't have to have a reason to let you go... I l know that Louisiana is - which is where my company is located.
I am no lawyer is its JMO so consult an attorney to verify as items below being correct!

Think you are talking about "employed at will" not "right to work State" (right to work state simply means----
a person cannot be denied employment because of membership or non-membership in a labor union or other labor organization)

Now, even with the "Employed at Will" you also have rights more than just age discrimination though those firing someone hopes they dont know that---------

You still cannot be fired for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law. In these situations, the government has decided to make an exception to the general rule of at-will employment.
For example, if your employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace. And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.
So employers do have to have concern when firing someone even in a Employed at Will situation.
Just as a example: Has a employee observed/or been involved in somthing that he could have claim within the statue of limitation time frame which he could lay claim why a company would retaliate against them :?:
Also lets say in Texas would have to look at ------the Public Policy exception(yes?) and the Implied Contract Exception(no?)
Again,just my ponderings,so consult a Lawyer for the actual Legal advice!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

For example, if your employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace. And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.
Madman, hate to say it, but if you really believe that you must have been out of touch with reality over the last thirty years. Heck, since Jimmy Carter forced the "Right to Work" laws on the American population almost every company became an "at will" employer and could fire without cause...except those still with collective bargaining rights. An employer does not have to say "why" they let you go, just that they don't need you anymore. Arguing any of the above criteria as to the decision to eliminate you, is all on you to prove. And I can tell you right now, even with a legitimate claim, the BLR states that there is only a 1 in 875,000 chance of winning the complaint.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
Madman, hate to say it, but if you really believe that you must have been out of touch with reality over the last thirty years. Heck, since Jimmy Carter forced the "Right to Work" laws on the American population almost every company became an "at will" employer and could fire without cause...except those still with collective bargaining rights. An employer does not have to say "why" they let you go, just that they don't need you anymore. Arguing any of the above criteria as to the decision to eliminate you, is all on you to prove. And I can tell you right now, even with a legitimate claim, the BLR states that there is only a 1 in 875,000 chance of winning the complaint.

Again I am certainly no Lawyer and its JMO----but
Ask any Large Corp. Lawyer (whose Company supports Government Contracts in any way)if when an employee has a valid or even maybe questionable issue/claim lets say like fraudulant contract activity/Labor Claim charging/OSHA violations/Race or Gender Discrimination if they will listen to a employee prior/during/or even after a charge is to be made.
99% of the time bet they will because they face losing Government Contracts! :wink:
This would also include those thousands of small companies which in any way/shape/form act as a Vendor/supplier/sub-contractor on ANY parts /products for the Contract.