OT-S&W M48 22 Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

OT-S&W M48 22 Magnum

Post by Ravenman »

I tried to get some information about the S&W Model 48 in 22 Magnum. Found some great stuff about the gun in articles of Mr. Kelly (Paco) and a few things in different forums. Hope you have some more input. Anything about this gun is much appreciated. Found a brand new S&W M48 with a 8 3/8" barrel in a gun shop.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-S&W M48 22 Magnum

Post by jdad »

This is an excellent place to find the answers. I know rimfires, but this is one I have never owned......have wanted an affordable one for years. :wink:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/fo ... y.php?f=25
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

With the gun in hand, there's not much more to know.

I once made up a matching set of 8-3/8" Smith's, in .22Mag & .44Mag - a M29 & M48 - for which I made a two-gun walnut case.

It was one of the first times I made a pistol case, and the idiot that made it had no clue as to what the adhesive used to secure the felt/velour case lining would do to a gun's bluing - and removed the blue from one side of each revolver. :shock:

I was so mad at myself, that I sold off the whole mess & swore off case-making for awhile.................

FWIW, S&W used to offer (through their Service Dept) to fit a .22lr extra cylinder to an M48 - something to seriously consider, if they will still do it.

If you intend to carry it out hunting, I found that a cross-chest bandolier holster (like a Bianchi 4100 H.U.S.H.) worked best, due to the long bbls.

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have an 18, I would love to have a 48. Its a wonderful 22 mag.
bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

I have a 648, the stainless version of you 48. Mine has a 6" barrel and I love it. I did some chrono testing some time ago and found that it provides more than double the energy than a 6" long .22 lr handgun. Its energy readings were also about 20% more than a .22lr out of a rifle barrel. Your longer barrel will do even better.

I have a 2x Leupold pistol scope on mine and generally use if for targets and for squirrels. For squirrels, I usually use .22 WRF ammo. These are much quieter and hit to the same point of aim as the magnums from my handgun. My 648 is the top right revolver, mixed with other rimfire Smiths.

Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

I have one with the matching 22 LR cylinder. Great little K frame 22 mine was made in 1976 according to Supica. I don't shoot the magnums in it that often but the little Speer shot shells are nice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

48 would be a great find here in my opinion. Grab that in a hurry especially with that barrel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've got a 648 from the early 90's. I love the gun, but those years were not S&W's best quality wise. A 48 will be older and likely of better manufacture. Did you say a "new" one? Are they remaking them these days?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

@ jdad - Thanks for the link - that's a pretty interesting rimfire forum there.
@ bhk - great looking collection and nice stocks
@ rimfire Mc Nutjob - new in the box but an old one. Will try to find out which production year the gun is.

Thanks to all the other inputs. Helps a lot to make a purchase decision.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

How is the muzzle blast out of the 4 and 6" bbls?

Hermann
bhk
Levergunner

Post by bhk »

Arminius wrote:How is the muzzle blast out of the 4 and 6" bbls?

Hermann

Absolutely TERRIBLE!!!!!!!! Good ear protection is a must. Shooting without protection will leave a lasting impression. That is one reason I generally use the WRF cartridges when hunting.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have had a convertable single six and a s&w 51 in .22 wmrf. Its confuseing to call them a .22 mag as the .22 mag is what the S&W model 53 is. Some call it the .22 remington jet. It says " .22 magnum" on the barrel. I have one. They are a .357 mag necked down to .223. They are far more powerfull than the .22 wmrf. They have a fierce muzzle blast like the .256 win mag. Got one of them too.
Remember this. All .22 wmrf,s are bored .223, not .22 as in .22 lr. Accuracy shouldnt be quite as good when you shoot standard .22 s in them.
I had S&W send me a .22lr clyinder for my model 51 back in about 1973. I reasoned ruger does it, why not S&W? I cant say I gave them the idea, but I will say they started cataloging the option right after I ordered my clyinder! The 53 came with inserts to shoot .22 lr. Also they could be ordered with .22lr clyinders. Here are pictures of my model 53 jet, and the now gone 51 I had.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Arminius wrote:How is the muzzle blast out of the 4 and 6" bbls?

Hermann
Hi Hermann

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO9iqSi-KUc

Impressive at least!