Other Forums

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Other Forums

Post by Hobie »

I've finally come to the conclusion that the reason I don't have problems on other forums is because I wasn't posting there. I mean, there are more rules and regulations than for filling out the 4473. No links to other forums (why?), no photos (again, why?), no links to "promote" other web sites (and I must suppose that linking to any other site is promoting it), no copyrighted material even when the copyright is MINE, no load "data" or discussion of the same, and so forth. So, just how does one express an opinion when one can't post anything? The sole limit here is to remember this is a FAMILY site. Oh, and heaven help you if you disagree with anything. They even have a hierarchy of reports with warnings, infractions, suspensions and then banning. Who has time to mess with all that? AND this from a group of people constantly fighting inane restrictions!!!!! Simply amazing. *sigh* :roll:

Yes, every now and then I need to vent, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Other Forums

Post by gundownunder »

I have absolutely nothing against Freedom of speech, as long as everything you say is exactly what I want you to say, and ditto the free exchange of information. :lol: :lol:

You need to remember Hobie, We live in a free world, where we are free to do as we are told.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I feel your pain.....I've been tossed at several locations. For the sake of civility, I'll not mention the name of the forum that took over from Marlin Talk, and the gnarly, three-toed gnomes that run it. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

There are other forums??? :shock: :o
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I tried to comply with the letter of the "law" but after deleting 60+ posts found that the most egregious (by their standards) I couldn't touch because they've set up their software to prohibit that as well. Then, I had longer time moderators actually quoting and responding to some of my posts. Today I was told to change my post because I had an "infraction" and I'm thinking, you're the moderator, why did you take 10 minutes to write me to do this and you could have done it in 30 seconds? I was told that I shouldn't be concerned because they issue 25 or more warnings in a week. I don't think I've done 5 warnings in 4 years! I suppose that it is true that some folks NEED shoulders to stop themselves from turning inside out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:There are other forums??? :shock: :o
:lol: Not any more!
Sincerely,

Hobie

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I read a bit on a couple other forums, but rarely post on them. They just seem to be a different breed.
NRA Life Member
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Not that I'd promote another forum,... but BushcraftUSA seems like a pretty decent place to discuss outdoors stuff. There seems to be a few levergunners (from here) over there already, and references to this site and Paco's articles pop up when lever guns are brought up in the firearms section. It reminds me of this place, in the general laid back attitude, and feel posting there. It's about the only other place I visit or post much at besides here. Friendly folks.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I would agree that the bushcraft forum is notably free of the garbage that seems to proliferate on a lot of forums. Very civil folks over there. I too have noticed some familiar names there. Lots of info to learn as well. Kevin
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This is definitely the most laid back place I've found but I have to admit that I do troll a few other forums. Gunboards.com doesn't seem too bad and Milsurps.com is a nice place. Just me sayin'...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

LOL, Hobie, I mentioned to my son, a 25 yr old forever tilting at windmills, that life is itself like an internet forum. Both are like a place of worship or someone's home. Ya just gotta try and see how "they" do it and either be willing to follow suit or take your leave for other company. Seriously, I can go to a Catholic funeral and it's hats off. At a Jewish funeral they will give ya a little hat to wear. Neither changes ME or my beliefs, but I honor my hosts by respecting their traditions in their house.

And so it is on the net. I certainly don't post in exactly the same "voice" here as I would on a biker forum.......
Certified gun nut
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This forum is just simply a cut above the rest so no need to do the others!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I am a member of a lot of shooting and a couple of non shooting forums. I'm a frequent member of maybe seven, others I tried and found nothing to keep me there. I haven't come up against any with those restrictions. Were I too, I'd be gone in a heart beat.
A forum is not an entity in a vacuum. There are other things going on in the world that are of interest and many times help to flesh out what we discuss.

What you describe is not any forum I'd want to be a member of. (I could be though and just not know it. Haven't been to some for years.)

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We've never had a problem here with posting other forum links, "promoting" other sites, or other such. As long as I've been here we've been about informing fellow forum members. How one does that without links is beyond me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Renegade!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Renegade!
Perhaps I'm following in Terry's footsteps... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

So, it isn't just me?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

And I was surprised to see Hobie posting on another forum the other night.I belong to to a lot of other sites and I am even a part owner of one.Each one of them attracts my attention for a certain reason and get a certain amount of my time depending on their content.I really LIKE this forum.It is a group of knowledgeable likeable adults discussing things in which we are interested in an intelligent way and presented in a clean and wholesome manner.I appreciate being here.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

I am a member on quite a few forums and some are easy going but most have some "unique" posting guidelines.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm still trying to get my head around there being other forums out there :shock: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I actually frequent several forums :shock:

And I'm even a mod on one for the reloading forum :o

There are discusion boards and there are discussion boards... I just avoid the ones that are screwed up.

This is one of the very best by and far - hands down. Which is why I hang out here with you fine gents :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's jes like politics - some folks kaint keep from forming a bureaucracy to run other people's lives...........

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Well, every now and then I tell someone or other - if you don't like the rules, set up a forum and make your own! A lot of folks HAVE done so. :) Had one guy on an e-mail list I moderate ask me "Do you have the authority to speak for everyone on the list?" when I asked him to quit spamming the list with his political stuff. He also said "Send me a list of all the members so I can sign them up and if they can opt out if they want." Huh? Yeah, right. Each group has its own ideas on how things should go, mostly it reflects the goals and ideas of the owner - or lack there of. Mostly I keep too busy to have time for forums except this one and sixshooter community - both of which were established by men I respect and which maintain high levels of interpersonal communication. Life's too short to hang out with idiots.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I frequent a number of forums. Some regularly, some rather infrequently... depends on my level of interest. That number shrinks dramatically, if you were to count those where I know or have even an passing knowledge of the participants. And on most of those, it's not uncommon to find them here also! Unlike here, where it's more like the Saturday morning gatherin' at the cafe in town of the area's ranchers or "good ol' boys", most of these others have a more specialized gathering... and that can be trying over a long period of time.

The other favorite of mine is the SASS Wire, however it's lack of a decent search function and minimal storage means that the same questions get asked over and over and over again. However, I find it comical that a bunch of guys that play "dress-up" in cowboy duds will then argue over the relative merits of any numbers of non-issues...

Back to here... what I like best can be best described in Texas Bix Bender's little tome, "Don't Squat With Yer Spurs On!", folks here just seem to "Always be a bit nicer than is called for, but don't take too much guff." Makes it nice to know where ya stand.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

This is the only forum to which I regularly contribute.

There are certainly some differences of opinion here, and some
strongly held beliefs, but everybody is at least polite. And I haven't
found ANYPLACE that is more knowledgable about shooting in
general.

And most folks here have a sense of humor! :D

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It's only when you spend time on other forums that you realise just how GOOD this one is.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

This is the only forum that I am a regular (36 short actually) at. I am (I've said it before) amazed
at the scope and depth of knowledge avaliable here. On any subject! If I was to ask how to connect a left threaded
coupler to a kite anchor there would be someone who knew how.
Three more to suggest a better way.
One to blame President Bush.
And one tell me that it had been discussed before and chiding me to use the search feature.

Then it would be moved to the Politics section.

I love this place!!
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I enjoy this forum very much, it is an outstanding site, there are even some nice guys here. :o :lol:

There ARE some other sites that have good rules and good members. Rimfirecentral, Varmint Hunters and Steelchickens are some that I frequent.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bullard4075 wrote:If I was to ask how to connect a left threaded coupler to a kite anchor there would be someone who knew how.

And one tell me that it had been discussed before and chiding me to use the search feature.

I love this place!!

ROTFL!!!! :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

++1 to what most everybody has said. Great forum and great bunch of guys n gals. I'm on a few more but this one is probably the one I look forward to the most, the one I go to if on the run and only have time for one to check in on, and the one I miss the most if haven't been able to access in awhile.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The best thing about this forum is that it's like a family and we're willing to adopt just about anyone. There have been a few that came and went like a dust devil blowing up. After they're gone things are right back to normal.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bullard4075 wrote:This is the only forum that I am a regular (36 short actually) at. I am (I've said it before) amazed
at the scope and depth of knowledge avaliable here. On any subject! If I was to ask how to connect a left threaded
coupler to a kite anchor there would be someone who knew how.

I love this place!!
You forgot the reminder to post pics!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I agree with all that's been posted on this. I would add that one thing that I think makes this forum some different is the maturity of the members. I am in my mid 60's and many members here are nearly as old as me and some much older. Some of these other forums are frequented by generally a younger group and they haven't quite learned the ways folks are supposed to get along. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I actually frequent several forums :shock:

And I'm even a mod on one for the reloading forum :o

There are discusion boards and there are discussion boards... I just avoid the ones that are screwed up.

This is one of the very best by and far - hands down. Which is why I hang out here with you fine gents :)
Your remarks have been noted and will be passed along for the official record... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A few years ago I was an active member on a bunch of boards. Over time that number got whittled down due to changing interests on my part, a changing of the guard on other websites (rarely for the better) and being less inclined to tolerate knotheads as I move towards curmudgeon-dom.

The only one I ever got crossthreaded with took a dim view of my choice of words. My sin? To use the word "screwed" in the phrase "screwed up" referring to my own potential mistake. Fine, it's their sandbox, their rules and my choice whether they stay in my bookmarks. They didn't and it was no big loss for either party.

Hobie there is a certain forum dedicated to aviation, particularly airlines and photography of such. When I read the rules before joining their forum I learned they were/are governed by Swedish law (no joke) and to join and ask a question required a $60 donation. :shock:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I got booted "twice" from the Colorado AR-15 forums. Those pigs over there use the "f" word like it ain't nothin'. They have a "click" and if you don't agree with everythin they say, the moderator (a click member) finds a reason to get rid of you.

After the "click", the rest of the members are weak minded wimps who do and say just so they can say they are "cool" and are members of the AR-15 club---you know, kinda of like being a Pagan or Hells Angels member---5 tough guys and the rest are wimps.

The dudes here are honorable, which to me is the most important character trait that a human being can have------------except that weasel "WES" from Wyoming who stuck me for $60. I sent him the receiver sight for his Model 71 and thats the last I heard of him. he has not even posted since July 2-----------He is probably hanging out on the Colorado AR-15 board :D ---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I occasionally lurk on a few other forums, but this forum and one other one are where I primarily post. Too many flame wars on many many websites, with comments that are stupid, not just ignorant.

rimrock