GUN RUST !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

GUN RUST !

Post by getitdone1 »

Begin looking at my guns stored in cases. RUST ! Not much, few small areas and not deep but new to me. Never before.

After many years with guns I knew gun cases not best, in general, for gun storage while I believe a few types of cases may be O.K.

Reason for this post. Will small packs of silica gel, believe that's what they call it, in case stop rust? Also what about those small strips of rust inhibiting paper that sometimes comes in a new gun box? Breakfree product?

Couple of weeks ago I took a few guns outside. In house cool with air-conditioner but when I took them outside where it was 90 plus with humidity sweat beads began to form. Should have kept them in back portion, hotter, area of house before taking them outside. Now wondering about rust inside these guns.

Don McCullough
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: GUN RUST !

Post by J Miller »

Don,

I store all my guns in the hard plastic foam lined cases. I have for the last 10 years. I live just west of you in IL and have no problems with rust.
I use a product called Industrial PCL
http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp
It's made by the Break-Free people. ( http://www.break-free.com/ )
This product has kept my guns rust free here in IL and before in AZ when my step kids handled them with their caustic body oils.
I highly recommend it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

You wouldn't want those little packets Don but something larger that's designed to dry the air in a storage closet, preferably with an indicator to tell you when to bake it back to dry. And I agree that the synthetic based Break Free products really perform.

Check this site out:

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/dry-packs-canister/

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I live in a very low humidity area, but store all my Winchesters in silicone treated gun socks. Cheap and very effective. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I don't know if the previously mentioned products are included, but here's some tests of a few products.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1070 ... ventatives
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Me, I just wipe 'em down with a tube sock sprayed liberally with silicone spray and put 'em in a gray MidwayUSA gunsock.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

How timely is this thread? A friend just gave me aT/C Scout BP .50 rifle that is absolutely covered in rust. What can I use to strip it off all metal surfaces of this gun--rifling, pins, screws, nooks and crannies, etc.? I know it will need rebluing after stripping, but I have to start with the rust. PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks,

rimrock
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

For an instant solution, Sentry Solutions Tuf-cloths are $10-11 and you can wipe down the entire gun. Mine have worked everywhere from Texas to the Middle East (extreme heat to cold and back, walking in and out of air-conditioned areas and then outside, or vehicles, cause major condensation, also, we were in Qatar so close to the coast....humidity). One good wipedown every couple months (constant handling) or one wipe (storage) and you're good per gun. Won't hurt wood or plastic, you can wipe everything down.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I hate rust. The worst enemy of a gun other than a Democrat politician (or a RINO! :evil: ). I go overboard. I have a large dehunmidifer running near the safe, then one of the "rechargeable" plug-in safe units in the safe, and silcone gun socks on most of my long guns. I save the little silicone pack you get in electronics or other things and through them in with the tin I hold primers in, or in the boxes for my reloading dies, etc.

Good luck!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh - and a good coat of oil on the guns to boot. I'd rather wipe one down before use than let it rust! Almost any good quality oil will do when you take the other steps.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I try not to store any guns in cases or socks unless I have. All mine are either in safes or an open rack coated in RIG grease.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

JB wrote:I try not to store any guns in cases or socks unless I have. All mine are either in safes or an open rack coated in RIG grease.
JB,

Coated with RIG eh? I have the RIG but I've never used it for anything other than--when I have a gun disassembled--coat the parts I can't get to later. Also would use it for long-term storage where I believe it's hard to beat.

Typically I try to always keep a light film of oil on my gun's metal exterior and am always conscious about handling the metal parts and try to handle only the wood most of the time. Hoppe's Gun Oil. Believe I need to switch to a better oil for better protection and appears "Breakfree" may be it. Sweat, as you know, will really do a number on gun metal so I am really careful about getting oil film on gun metal after out with gun on hot day.

In one sense I don't like oil on a gun, even inside. Reason is, it attracts dust. If get oil on wood stock I wipe it off immediately since it's not good for wood.

Related: When I have stock off I like to coat the inside of the wood with Tru-Oil to help water proof it--and, help keep it from warping and to thereby maintain accuracy.

Like most people in this group--sure bothers me to see rust on (or in) my guns. Even a small amount.

Don McCullough
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is a product I buy at Wal Mart (gag) called No Rust Shield which I keep in my safe. It is made by the people who make 3 in 1 oil and I get it in the tool aisle. When put in an enclosed area it prevents rust by slowly evaporating the same type of chemical which is in the little cardboard squares placed in the box with new guns. It has worked for me so far. It actually even stopped the rust on an old gun I have had since I was a kid that someone had given me after it started to rust from black powder use and improper cleaning.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, if your guns had condensation on the outer surfaces, you can bet your bottom dollar that the insides received a dose likewise, and would be well advised to give the internals a good flushing with a rust inhibitor ASAP.

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, if your guns had condensation on the outer surfaces, you can bet your bottom dollar that the insides received a dose likewise, and would be well advised to give the internals a good flushing with a rust inhibitor ASAP.

Pete44ru,

That's good advice. Must do. I did take these "sweating guns" from the shade into the hot sun for awhile but that's probably not a sure thing.

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Did you ever notice a kind of grease preservative on new guns that comes off on your rag when you oil it? I have. When that happens I consider having maybe done more harm than good. Well, not really since I always try to keep a thin coat of oil on the metal. Still, bet that stuff would protect it better than my oil. Trouble is it's not on all of the places it needs to be. Cosmoline like the military uses or has used? Or, was that stuff only for the bore?

My grandpa varnished a gun--wood and metal. Not my approach but bet it worked for a long time, other than where it got scratched. Maybe not a bad idea for a hard working, out doors a lot gun. You could then handle it any way you wanted without fear of getting it rusty. Still have to touch-up the scratched places from time to time. Black epoxy paint on the metal? Of course I'd never do this with my best guns.

While stainless can and will rust it sure helps with the rust problem. Have a couple of stainless guns. Problem with them is expect they have inner parts that are not stainless. Wonder if any gun is truly all stainless? Too, is there a type of stainless steel that could be used on guns that would absolutely not rust? Do some guns have it?

Don McCullough
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Double 00 steel wool does the trick on light surface rust....just spray a little oil on the surface and rub...I've had great luck using this method.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

vonfatman wrote:Double 00 steel wool does the trick on light surface rust....just spray a little oil on the surface and rub...I've had great luck using this method.

Bob
Welcome to the fire, Bob - and thank your for your post. I had not seen your first 2 posts; so now is the time to say that it's good to have you in the group!
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

JohndeFresno,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to be here.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"