OT - help pick bolt action caliber

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

OT - help pick bolt action caliber

Post by bsaride »

I'm looking at buying a lightweight .30 cal bolt action rifle.

I live in SoCal and lead free ammo IS a consideration.

I am considering .308 and .300 SAUM in a short action Remington.

All I know is I used to have a 30-06 and no experience with either caliber.

Let me know what you think and why.

Thanks,
Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - help pick bolt action caliber

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

308 Winchester. Without question. More options on ammo. Great accuracy. Gentle recoil. Light rifles. It can handle animals up to 500 lbs with the proper ammo and appropriate range.

AND you can get it in a levergun !!!! :D

my .02¢

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For a bolt-action gun, I'd also go with .308, unless you want to try to find a .30-30 to go with a levergun for ammo sharing. I always thought the .30-40 Krag was a really interesting gun, but they're not exactly light weight sporters, unless you find a 'sporterized' one or want to do one up yourself.

Lightweight lever-action .308 not to be dismissed though... :wink: :wink:

And boy, oh boy - if you don't mind hunting with a single-shot, and wanted to get a break-open, you could get some really fun odd-ball or wildcat things chambered in it, and in a VERY lightweight package, shorter than a bolt-action by several inches for a given barrel length.

P.S. - If we all vote on what gun you should buy, do you promise to get exactly that one...? :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Well, you didn't say what you would be shooting with it or if you handload or not. You probably already know that ,on average, the .308 will be slightly slower than the 30-06, and the RSAUM, WSM, or RCM will be slightly faster. In factory ammo, .308 will be less expensive and have more variety and availability of any of the short thirties. The RSAUM lost the .300 short mag war with Winchester and is pretty much dead. If you handload and get your brass and dies now, this will not matter.

Personally, for a true lightweight I would (and did) pick the .308 Winchester. For me the .308 kicks significantly less than the 30-06, and with bullets up to 180 grains is practically just as powerful and flat shooting. Add that to ammo cost and availability. Also the .308 handloads well and there are many powders optimized for it. And the .308's velocity works well with most bullets terminally.

I would only recommend one of the short mags only if you are going to handload. It would be easy to load .308 or 30-06 level loads if you didn't want full blast and recoil all the time. And the magnums would do better with heavier bullets and you have a need for them.

I have two 30-06's and a 7mm WSM among other chamberings, but I mostly shoot and hunt with one of my .308's. One is an older first generation Ruger M77. It is not very light but is accurate and has an interesting story behind it. My other one is a beautiful and lightweight Kimber 84M Select Grade. If I had to sell out but keep one big game rifle, I would keep the Kimber .308.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

What are you going to do with it? A 300 Savage is a cool .30 caliber that kicks less than most 308 loads. A 300 WSM or 300 RCF are very versatile.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

More ammo choice, both in factory and handloading, with an '06 :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if you want to hunt deer out here, the two most proficient SoCal deer hunters I know use .264. The idea is to hold dead on at 300 yards.

I went with .243 so I could get the lightest rifle out there, the Handi-rifle youth. I'm figuring the .021 mm won't make much difference, and I can already attest to the efficacy of a rifle lighter by 2 pounds.

I also like very much hunting with the Handi-rifle, because it's so easy to load and unload. I can carry it open and have a round in there quickly. If I'm carrying it loaded, and I have to climb or something, unloading is a snap.

As far as follow-up shots go, reloading is not that slow, if you have the ammo ready.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Ok, I've been wanting another .30 cal in addition to the 30-30 Marlin I have.
I'm settling in on 22, 30 and 44 calibers in all my guns.
I have handloading gear but haven't used it in about 12 years, but expect to again soon.
I want to get a 30 cal bolt gun (looks like 308 is the ticket) to use to start shooting at
longer ranges (300-500yds to start) and see if I can hit anything. Likely will start serious
shooting in the spring. If this works for me then I want it to be a lightweight so I can carry
it up and down rugged hills after I get in better shape.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Well us responders have to assume alot as this is real vague...
Me I would get another 30-06.. now again you can hunt any critter walking our side of this world. And hunters did shoot all the BIG 5 in Africa with the 30-06... but that is no more.
If you reload the options just went x3. If you cast the options are beyond counting.
I would not invest in those new mags... lots of bucks for short changing the ammo reserve in the mag.
You can have an 30-06 in any weight just a few ounces over the 308 rifle. And a handloader can make the 06 run with all the power any average shot will ever need.
If you plan on traveling the world with your rifle get the 308... that is the only reason I would not get the 30-06. Here in Peru there is little 30-06 ammo and 308 is common.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

I had a Kimber montana in 308 that was a dream. I fitted it with Talley lightweight rings, and a Leupold ultralight 2-7x33mm scope, and the whole shebang was just under 6 pounds. Would keep the first 3 shots in an inch at 100yds. Opened up slightly with sustained fire, but how many times do you need more than 3? Awesome rifle I sorely miss.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Another vote for the 308. If you want light and easy to carry look at the Rem model 7. May not be the best long range choice but they are nice to carry.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

missionary5155 wrote:
Me I would get another 30-06.. now again you can hunt any critter walking our side of this world....
Same here. A .308 is a good cartridge, but it's not an '06. Also the '06 is between the two cartridges you mentioned ballistically, you can also buy ammo for it anywhere.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It seems to me that if you want a .30 cal bolt action you want either a .308 or .30-06. Those are all-around useful and available which might be really important.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

another vote for the 308.now with that said :D there are other choices when it comes to a short rifle besides a bolt action.

borrowed pic
7.62 power in a rifle the size of a M1 carbine :wink:

DAV life member.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I would have some fun looking for/taking your time trying to find a fine older Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 :wink:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Personally if I were to get another bolt gun (modern), it would be in 6.5 X 55, as I have yet to find another chambering that has all the assets of the Swedish caliber.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have some experience with a 7.62 Nato, which is the other designation of the .308. I don't currently have one, but the .308 is as accurate as you could ask for. OK, some guns might need a little tuning to get the best accuracy, but the .308 will do many things well with light 125 grain bullets up to the 180 grain bullets. For long range shots if you consistently shoot over 300 yards, some of the faster calibers might have an edge. I have personal knowledge that the 7.62 Nato is very accurate out to 1100 meters out of an M60, so a good rifle should be able to beat that. Finally, 86er did mention in a post that his clients who used .308 had a very good rate of 1 shot kills.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

One of my first hunting rifles was a Ruger Model 77 in 7MM-08. As I write this, I am looking at a mounted deer head that is among the best I was ever fortunate enough to get. Right underneath it on the plaque is the 7MM-08 shell that held the bullet that dropped it. The rifle is still in my safe and gets sighted in every year, whether I use it hunting or not.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

While I am a big fan of the .308 ( I have a SOCOM like Pete's that's supprisingly accurate) but if i were to have one bolt gun it would be .30-06.

Grandpa's '03 sporter and I have covered a lot of ground and taken a pile of deer over the last 12 years. My Dad gave it to me when I turned thirty. I was so thrilled to get it that I used it exclusively for about ten years. It's had every ounce taken off that could be and is very light. Never thought to weigh it before. I'll have to do that.

I also like the thought that no matter where you were in this country it wouldn't take long
to turn up a box or two of .30-'06 though .308 wouldn't be too difficult either but RCM's and SAUM's would
be pretty difficult.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my only bolt rifle in that category currently is an Ed Brown Marine Sniper in .308, http://www.edbrown.com/marine.htm topped with a Mark iv 10x leupold scope, leupold tactical rings, Mcmillan stock. I can reach way out there and I use 168 grain match ammo exclusively. Its not light weight though but it can keep sub-moa for as far as I can shoot. The scope comes with a ballistic compensator for the exact round I use. If I know the distance, I just dial it in, adjust for windage, put the dot on and the critter goes down if I do my part.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Get your self a Savage 200 in 308 or 30-06 and you can't go wrong. Just about the most accurate gun right out of the box at a great price.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

txpete wrote:another vote for the 308.now with that said :D there are other choices when it comes to a short rifle besides a bolt action.

In California. . . ? . . . doesn't that gun violalte some 'assault weapon' law out there. . . ?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:Get your self a Savage 200 in 308 or 30-06 and you can't go wrong. Just about the most accurate gun right out of the box at a great price.
Hard to go wrong with one of those, unless you just have to have a stainless gun.

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

AJMD429 wrote:
txpete wrote:another vote for the 308.now with that said :D there are other choices when it comes to a short rifle besides a bolt action.

In California. . . ? . . . doesn't that gun violalte some 'assault weapon' law out there. . . ?
oops didn't catch the commie CA state... my bad.
DAV life member.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

Many, many good calibers and excellent comments from previous posters.

My .02:

.308 Win (7.62 Nato)
CHEAPEST BRASS
Very flexible with powders (Varget is one of my favorites)
EXCELLENT variety of bullets (I guess this will apply to any .30 cal you choose)
LONG barrel life compared to the magnums
For .30 cal bolt action, the .308 is hard to beat unless your range gets very long

I have shot the .308 for MANY years and love it. It is the "small block Chevy" of bolt action cartridges along with the Rem 700 being the "small block Chevy" of bolt actions. I was considering stepping up to a .300 Win Mag or possibly a .338 Lapua in a AI AWM or AWSM but ended up going the opposite direction and when to a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 260 Remington. Brass can be made for both calibers out of .308 Winnie brass and the wind bucking characteristics of a High BC .264 bullet will curl your toes when you are used to a .308.

All that said, the .308 should be the most versatile for years to come.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Yeah, everyone has good ideas here.

Pretty much settled on the 308.

I have a 1903 & 1917 30-06 project guns I will get around to someday.

Always thought the 1917 would go to 35 Whelen and the 03 stay a 30-06.

I would like to get more info on receiver sight/scout gun setups now,
Most of my guns have receiver sights.
KI6WZU
NRA member

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bsaride wrote:I would like to get more info on receiver sight/scout gun setups now,
Most of my guns have receiver sights.
You've probably seen my "sights" post, but if not, here's the link. About halfway down the first page, there's lots of pics of the 'levergun' type aperture sights we all use...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

The 308 is an excellent choice. There is really no practical difference between it and the 30-06 for deer hunting. As for bullets, I am using the 130 TSX at 3100 fps in my 30-06. I can push it faster but accuracy suffered at higher velocities. According to the Barnes reloading manual the 308 will push the 130 TSX to a max of 3200 fps. That gives you 270 Winchester ballistics and is a guaranteed deer killer.

If you use a receiver sight it really doesn't matter. You aren't going to be making any long cross canyon shots so any lead free ammo will work. If you are really going to use that rifle for serious long range work you need a scope.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Marc wrote:The 308 is an excellent choice.

If you use a receiver sight it really doesn't matter. You aren't going to be making any long cross canyon shots so any lead free ammo will work. If you are really going to use that rifle for serious long range work you need a scope.
Thanks Marc,

I can't own a rifle without irons. I'm pretty sure I am going with the 308 and a scope.

Is there any reason NOT to use a scout scope for longer ranges?
KI6WZU
NRA member

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I don't have any real experience with a scout scope. You may have seen my thread about the scout scope on my Model 64. So far all I have done is sight it in at 100 yards. Before I bought it I read everything I could find on scout scopes. The impression I got is that they are good out to 300 yards and that sounds reasonable to me. I use 3x9 variables as a rule. I keep them on 3 power and only turn them up when I get an opportunity at long range. Then the extra magnification is nice. I did kill one deer out at 300 yards or so with it set on 3 power. Things were happening fast and I didn't think to turn it up and didn't notice until afterwords. So it's not a big deal. The Leupold scout is 2-1/2 power and things way out there don't look very big in it. It is still better than a peep.

A lot will depend on your eyes. Mine are going so I need all the help I can get. I can shoot a peep sight well on the target range where I have good light and good target contrast. Deer are camouflaged and often half hidden in brush in dim light. Not a good set up for aging eyes. If you like the scout scope idea I think you ought to go for it. A lot of deer are killed in daylight in the open at 200 yards or less. You can always try something else if it doesn't work for you.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!