Marlin 35 Remington range debut...pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Marlin 35 Remington range debut...pics

Post by Bullard4075 »

First day shooting my 51 Marlin 35 Rem. I didn't shoot for groups or very far but just to prove
the concept of my unusual scope/mount. I have a couple of these Bushnell phantom scopes (both 1.5X and 2.5X) and mounts
that I have used on various guns over the years. This particular scope (2.5X) and mount was on the Win 94/30-30
I traded in on this rifle.
Despite the looks this is quite a sturdy setup. I had serious doubts about long overhang of the scope and if it would
vibrate or "twang" during firing, especially under the slightly heavier recoil of the 35. Doesn't appear to be the
case, at least so far. So few shots at 25 yards isn't "proof of concept" but I had limited ammo - part of box of factory Rem 150gr
and part box of factory Federal 200gr - on hand. I haven't had time to reload yet.

I have bought, but yet to install, a Weaver one-piece scope base and Williams 5D sight.
I think I will play with this setup awhile.

OK now the pictures.
I know how you guys love pictures. :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 35 Remington range debut...pics

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those are great scopes wish i'd bought a few in the 80's when no one wanted them. Lot to be said for a scout mounted scope have one on a contender carbine. You cant go wrong with buying an older too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The vibration, or 'twang' should hopefully be consistent from shot to shot with the same load, so accuracy may be just fine. It 'looks funny' but who cares. Hopefully the scope should hold up to the vibration; those ones hold up to huge recoil on handguns, so I'd think barrel-mounting on a relatively low-recoil rifle would not be all that bad.

I have a Bushnell Phantom on a Contender that works very well, although it's "just a .22 LR".

Keep us posted on your results - maybe you've invented something new and wonderous... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Probably no need to worry about why someone sold this rifle, plenty of us have done that, and regretted it later. I have a 94 Win, that I paid 115 bucks for at a gun show in Salem, Oregon in 1985. It is like chrome, no blueing left at all, and the wood is plenty worn. Shoots like a dream, and is actually one of my favorite guns, perhaps some poor soul in Oregon rues to this day that he sold it. Looks like you bought a winner.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Very nice looking gun and a shooter too. It doesn't look like it is drilled for scope bases in the pic. Hard to tell. I bet a 5D would be the cat's meow on that gun.