OT - Smith LEO trade-in 4586 arrives...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Smith LEO trade-in 4586 arrives...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is the one that I got from Bud's Gun Shop. This is why I recommend Bud's - look at the pics! I am really pleased with the condition. This is a 45 ACP, DA only with the short-throw trigger. I figure the trigger is probably about 8 lb.s - but very smooth and clean breaking. The pistol shows very little wear - VG overall condition. Can't beat this for $294 shipped to my ffl plus $25 transfer fee.

Thank you LEO's who take care of your duty guns :tiphat: :D

Basically just broken-in. This is my third LEO trade-in gun that I've purchased. The other two were just as good a deal.

Hard to justify purchasing new when there's used pistols like this available for 1/2 or less the cost.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Smith LEO trade-in 4586 arrives...

Post by madman4570 »

That my friend is a good deal!
They are very nice guns! Well Done! :mrgreen:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thank you. I thought so.

She is rather heavy - I guess that's to be expect with a steel frame and beefy slide. It does feel very good in my medium hands - trigger reach is normal and it locks up nice and tight. The grip is actually pretty slim feeling - even more so than a 1911.

Only thing I'd change on it is the mag safety - I prefer to be able to change mags and still have one in the pipe that can be sent down range...

Can't wait to get her to the range :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I carried a S&W 9mm for over 15 years in uniform and was very happy with (I bought it when we traded them in). I was also the armorer and took care of them and they worked very well for a long time.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great buy, I was lucky enough to get one of the 10mm FBI 1076s when they sold them to the agents for $325.00 and loved it. It had been rebuilt once by the factory and once by the firearms unit before they were called in. The smoothest Smith Auto I ever owned in a great caliber. My nephew finely talked me out of it to use bear hunting as a back-up to the Marlin 444 I gave him.
It is not the critic who counts
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Those series S&W's are IMO real sleepers, I had a 1086 it was a smooth trigger, and broke like glass. Never failed me, don't know if they still carry them but Newport News PD here in Va. had the 1086's till S&W stopped them, and gladly traded them out for the 45 version , great buy!!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Paladin wrote:Great buy, I was lucky enough to get one of the 10mm FBI 1076s when they sold them to the agents for $325.00 and loved it. It had been rebuilt once by the factory and once by the firearms unit before they were called in. The smoothest Smith Auto I ever owned in a great caliber. My nephew finely talked me out of it to use bear hunting as a back-up to the Marlin 444 I gave him.
Ooooh, I'd like to get my mitts on a Smith 10mm. I've heard nothing but praise for them. Your nephew has a "great" uncle :mrgreen: And thanks for that tip BTW. :)

And Dave James - I used to work for Smithfield Packing and have been to NewPort News many times - the Luter's farm (Aberdene Farm) is directly accross from the airport on the other side of the bay and has a landing strip that serves as an emergency strip for the NPN airport. Just some trivia... from my past.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow, that is a great deal! I'd be tempted, but I'm already 45 acp poor.
NRA Life Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If anybody's interested.... they have another one on gunbroker! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =182191338

This one's listed for $235 buy-now - wow. Add the shipping and that's $260 shipped. And they take plastic.

Night sights (mine still glow in the dark) and two factory mags...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats! I'm been thinking about getting Y2K a combat pistol. He's fired several 9mm's and handles them with ease. He just shot the 1911A1 in .45 ACP for the first time a couple weeks ago, and really liked it. A police trade-in may be just the trick! :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well that last one that I posted sold to somebody named "Hogie".

If you are interested, just do a search for S&W 4586 on gunbroker and if they have another one posted, it'll come up...

I haven't had mine to the range yet but I'm really impressed with it. It is "heavy metal" for sure but that will minimalize the recoil of the 45ACP. Its probably a tad heavier than the 1911 even. :) Beefy.

But you know, it carries quite nicely and is flat and conceals well too - again, like a 1911 - at least for me.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!